The Simpsons

Last Exit to Springfield

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 11, 1993 on FOX

• come gather round children, it's high time y' learned 'bout a hero named homer and a devil named burns so we'll march day and night by the big cooling tower they have the plant but we have the power

this is a very funny episode with scenes such as smithers and burns going through many devices to get to the power controls when there was just a back door and the two headed dog was a great gag at the plant. this also had a good gag at homer being slow as marge's voice and lenny's voice repeat over and over "dental plan" "lisa needs braces" (it must have been at least 10 times) before he realises that if they give up the dental plan he'll have to pay for lisa's braces. burns making up words like dr seuss when he was saying what they were singing without is what proved this episode's greatness.
  • Lisa needs braces... Dental Plan!... Lisa needs braces... Dental Plan!...

This episode was A material all the way from start to finish. It starts off with a violent scene from a McBain movie and ends with Homer resigning as union president. This episode was very well written and had a good plot to go with it. I liked the joke where Mr. Burns was trying to negotiate with Homer but he thought Mr. Burns was coming onto him instead. There was also the classic Grinch scene. (the animation came directly from the Dr. Seuss cartoon) This episode was also very surreal as it had many dream sequences in it. Overall, a very entertaining episode.
  • Dental Plan!

The worker's contract at the power plant is up for renewal, and the union prepares to deal with Mr. Burns. Meanwhile, Lisa finds out from her dentist she'll need braces.

While reviewing the proposed contract, which includes a green cookie on St. Patrick's Day, Mr. Burns remembers how workers were treated in the early part of the 20th century. Burns wants to relive those days and decides to take away the company dental plan.

At the union meeting, everyone votes in favor of the new contract. Even though it means giving up the dental plan, they get a keg of beer in exchange. Homer realizes he'll have to pay for Lisa's braces and urges everyone to fight Burns for a better contract. Homer is elected union president.

While Homer negotiates with Burns, Lisa has to wear an antiquated set of braces that predate stainless steel. In an effort to subdue the people of Springfield, Burns cuts off the town's power and awaits their reaction in a Grinch-like pose on his balcony. He hears the workers singing outside the plant in a united effort and Burns realizes he can't win. He agrees to give back the dental plan as long as Homer resigns as union president. Homer does the Curly shuffle and Burns realizes Homer wasn't the brilliant tactician he thought.

Lisa's new braces are almost impossible to see and everyone lives happily ever after.
  • An excellent episode, akin to all other episodes from this season. But, I see nothing in it, worth separating from others. Not a bad one, but a slightly overrated episode.

This episode is still great, there's no doubt about that, it's just I don't think it deserves to be treated any better than other episodes. I disagree with it's popularity, especially when I can think of far better episodes like, "Homer Badman", "Homer the Great", "Dog of Death" and "Krusty Gets Kancelled".

Nevertheless, a hilarious episode. Funny in lots of ways; I loved it.

I had a little problem with the animation, just like all other episodes in this season, it's blurry. But I get used to it after a while.

If you're a Simpsons fan, I urge you to watch this (if you already haven't), and to even buy the DVD (if you already haven't). The Simpsons at their very best.
  • Amazing parody of everything

Mr. Burns sits in his office awaiting the union leader, who has not been seen since he promised to clean up the union, so that they can discuss the proposed union contract. While perusing the contract, Mr. Burns becomes disgusted with the union demands and reminisces about simpler times. Mr. Burns then decides to take on the union, and revokes their dental plan.

Meanwhile, at Painless Dentistry (formerly "Painful Dentistry"), the Simpson children are getting their teeth checked. It is discovered Lisa needs braces. When Marge informs Homer, he tells her not to worry about the cost, as the union had won a dental plan during the strike of '88. Later, at a meeting of the local chapter of International Brotherhood of Jazz Dancers, Pastry Chefs and Nuclear Technicians, Carl announces that the newest contract requires the union to give up their dental plan in exchange for a free keg of beer for their meeting. Homer slowly comprehends that giving up their dental plan would require him to pay for Lisa's braces and jumps into action, reminding everyone how their dental plan has helped them all, and how the new contract is an insult. Carl proposes Homer be the new union president and he is promptly elected by a nearly unanimous vote.

Mr. Burns watches Homer on his hidden cameras and is impressed, asking Smithers, "who is that firebrand?" Smithers recounts several instances where Mr. Burns was involved in some way with Homer or another member of the Simpson family, all of which Burns has forgotten. Burns further confuses Homer's pathetic attempt to remove a candy bar stuck on his back with a workout routine. Burns invites Homer to his office to try to reach an agreement but Mr. Burns's sly innuendos are misconstrued by Homer as sexual advances. Homer quickly gets to his feet, saying he does not go for those "back door shenanigans", although he is "flattered" and "maybe even a little curious," and promptly leaves.

Since the dental plan has not yet been reclaimed, Lisa is given exceptionally primitive braces, leading her to call herself a "monster". Meanwhile, Mr. Burns sends hired goons to the Simpsons' house in order to take Homer back to Burns's Manor to negotiate. Before they have a chance to talk, Homer is struck by the urgent need to use the rest room. He asks Mr. Burns where the rest room is and immediately leaves, leading Burns to think that Homer is unwilling to even hear him out. Burns returns Homer to his house, but threatens Homer as he leaves. Homer is now tired of being union president and calls a meeting to announce his resignation. But when he opens by saying that he has had enough of negotiating with Mr. Burns, the union thinks he is suggesting that they strike. Before Homer can say anything else, a chant of "Strike!" is started, a vote is taken, and the union goes on strike.

Mr. Burns is undeterred by the strike and tries several methods of breaking it up, such as bringing in '30s era strikebreakers and getting loyal robot workers. On an edition of Kent Brockman's talk show, Smartline, Mr. Burns is allowed an opening tirade and he threatens dire events. Fifteen minutes later, Mr. Burns and Smithers march to a secret room in the Power Plant and turn off the power for the whole town. The strikers do not lose hope and begin to sing. Burns, confident he has broken the union's spirit, steps out on his balcony to hear their reaction but is disarmed by their unity and optimism. Mr. Burns finally calls a meeting with Homer to concede to their demands on one condition: that Homer must resign as union president. Homer celebrates, causing Mr. Burns to finally realize that Homer is not the brilliant tactician he thought he was.

With the Simpson family insured again, Lisa gets her perfect, new braces and she, the Simpson family, and the dentist gather and laugh as the episode comes to a close, with the dentist finally realizing that they are all laughing because he has left the gas on.[3][2][1]
  • Called the best episode, when in fact it's only the second best.

Called the best episode, when in fact it's only the second best. But it is the truth. But looking back on it, I can see how you can certainly make that mistake. Jimmy Hoffa being buried in one of the romoured places, an opening action sequence, seeing young man burns send another young man to be walled up in the old coke machine (and it ain't coca cola) and of course, Lisa's infamous hallucination dream sequence (beetles themed, of course).
    Now I'm starting to think of it quite too highly, I must remember to keep in mind that it is a close second to Simpsons Christmas Stories. But unfortunately, few agree with me. Oh well, their loss.
    Thats all,
    See Yas!
  • Lisa needs braces; Homer becomes head of workers union.

The union leader at the Nuclear Power Plant disappears, leaving the employees without a leader to renegotiate their contract. Mr Burns takes advantage of the situation and removes the dental plan from his employee benefits package, offering free beer in return. Everybody including Homer agrees, until Lisa needs braces which he will have to pay for himself. He stands up and urges other members to reject the contract, and is elected the new plant union representative. Marge buys lisa the cheapest braces which are huge and ugly. The workers vote to strike. Burns responds by turning off the city's power, but the workers do not change their mind. Burns comes to realize he has failed, and proposes to reinstate the dental plan if Homer resigns as the union leader. Homer agrees, and Lisa gets new, clear braces. This episode had soo many great parodies and refrences to famous works that its impossible not to find it funny. Although I found some of the parts a little corny like Lisa's song, but nonetheless a good episode. Watch it!
  • This is exactly why I watch the series.

This is in fact, the best episode of the Simpsons ever, in my opinion. I don't know why it isn't the top episode. A laugh a scene, I beam with joy every time I see this episode. This is the only episode of the Simpsons I will ever rate 10.
  • this was a great ep

in this ep of the simpsons lisa is in need of braces after going to vist the dentist and mr burns annonces that he is getting rid of the dental plan from the workers befits . and homer is mad becasue with out that he wont be able to get the braces for lisa and so he ralleys up the works and becomes uion leader and mr burns gets mad and tries to run the planet with robots but its not working and he calles a meeting with homer and he says i will restore the benfits unles you resing as union leader and he does this was a great ep
  • Homer strikes and Lisa needs braces. Hilarious?

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. This episode is one of the all time best episodes in the Simpsons history. The jokes were funny and the storyline was great. I get constantly reminded of this episode every time I go to the dentist or orthodontist. Why? Because of "The Big Book of British Smiles" of course!!! No matter how many times I watch this episode, that joke remains funny. Other memorable jokes include the story behind Homer's scar, Santa's Little Helper's reaction to seeing Lisa with her braces, and Mr. Burns encounter with the dog in the power plant. Many people consider this to be the greatest episode of the Simpsons, and I can see why. The jokes were great and it came from season 4, in my opinion the best season of the Simpsons!
  • Worst. 4th season episode. Ever!

This has to be the awfulist episode ever. Burns just trys to get his ways and makes Homer not get the dental plan. Burns is just a selfless brat and, owns a vulture that looks like him. And, Lisa's braces could make any kid cry. And, maybe break a few glasses (The wearing and drinking kind). I thought this episode went no where. I did'nt even get the begging. This episode will always be alful #1. And, always hated. Then, Lisa sings this corny song. That I did'nt really like. So this is the worst episode ever.

Final Score: D+, 5
  • perfect

what i liked- the ever infamous 'dental plan/lisa needs braces' scene, homer wondering if burns is coming onto him, the union song lisa and the plant workers sing, the ending with lisa getting braces, etc.

great episode. a review can't mention how many humorous parts this episode had. pretty much every gag works so well and the plot is great, too. definitely not only one of the best of the season (if not the best), but also one of the best of the series as a whole. A+ episode, definitely