The Simpsons

Lisa the Iconoclast

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 18, 1996 on FOX

• Perfect; Another Simpsons classic

In this episode, Springfield is preparing to celebrate bicenental (200 year celebration) and there is much love for the town's fabled founder, Jebideah Springfield. Lisa's class is assigned to write a paper on Jebideah, and Lisa is excited to do so. However, when exploring the museum, Lisa finds a secret confession from Jebideah, explaining how he was nothing more than a fraud. Lisa tries to tell the rest of the town, but they won't listen to her, as she earns the town's hate. This was a great episode, probablly myfavorite from the season. Some people say that the ending stnks, but I think it's fine. 10/10 A+
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the simpsons show lisa is doing a project on jebahia becasuse the day they celbrate the town hero and they have a parade homer wants to be the person that rings the bell and lias is doing her project and learns that jeb was a pirate that tried to kill washington and all his stories were lies. and lisa learns that from a museum and she has them dig up the body to find if he has a silver touge thing is he did but the museum cartaker already stole it to hide the truth he admits that and lisa goes to tell the people at the parade thing is she cant do it and says he was a hero. to the town even though she knew the truth a good ep
  • Lisa the Iconoclast

When doing a paper on Jebediah Springfield, the founder of Springfield, Lisa learns he was once a murderous pirate named Hans Sprungfield. But when she tries telling others, nobody will believe her. At the end she convinces the curator at the museum the truth, but she decides not to tell all of Springfield, because the lie would have made everyone mad and the whole town would probably end in a riot.

Overall grade, A+, this has always been one of my favorites. Humor is spot on, great characterizations. Some people did not like the ending but I saw nothing wrong
  • Lisa as usual going against the establishment.

I am not too fond of episodes in which Lisa Simpson is the main character or the driving force of the story. In this episode Lisa is as usual trying to find the truth and going against the rest of the people who don't really or don't want to know what it really is. The curator in this episode who we might call Lisa's alterego accepted the truth once he was confronted with hardcore facts. Something rather odd for a show like this in which usually the characters end up all kids of crazy things to avoid punishment. Something I noticed is that we didn't see much of Bart. Good story and only couple of laughs.
  • A stupid ending, but a great plot none the less

A noble spirit possesses the people of Springfield as they prepare for the town's bicentennial celebration. Always the iconoclast, Lisa discovers some new data about Jebediah Springfield, the town's legendary founder, that she feels she must share with everyone. According to Lisa's research, the saintly Jebediah was actually Hans Sprungfeld, a murderous pirate who tried to kill George Washington. Lisa confronts Hollis Hurlbut, the President of the Springfield Historical Society, with her findings, but Hurlbut sends her packing and bans her from his museum for three months. Lisa, with Homer's help, convinces Mayor Quimby to dig up the body of Jebediah Springfield to prove that he's not the same man as Sprungfeld. Quimby agrees, but when the body is exhumed, Hollis Hurlbut quickly steals the evidence so that no one believes Lisa. Later, Lisa finds out for sure that Hurlbut hid the evidence, but she allows the people of Springfield to go on celebrating Jebediah anyway, since the great man's legacy is more important than the actual facts of his life. Guest star: Donald Sutherland as Hollis Hurlbut.
  • This episode is outstanding. I've rarely been so captivated by a plot. It was not only good, but it actually made me believe it was real.

The whole concept of "Jebediah Springfield" is an amazing one.
    No other show has ever been able to suck me in to the plot like The Simpson's did on this episode. It seems like it would of taken them at least a year to think up that concept.

As for the episode, everything is at top-notch.
    The humour, the animation, the voice-acting. Perfect.

Most people think The Simpson's were at their best during season 5, but season 7 seems to be just as good, if not better in some ways.
    This episode might just be in my top 5 Simpson's episodes, I truly recommend it.
  • You don't want to know

Lots of activity that surround the 200th of the discovery of Springfield by Jebediah Springfield. Homer become the town crier and Lisa reavel a dark secret about the founder. she founded out that out in a letter found inside the flute that Jebediah was a pirate with a silver torgue and tried to kill Washington. that remind me of a book out years ago to reveal that Bing Crosby was the white christmas you though him of being.The people of springfield has see Jebediah springfield as a famous man and they don't to hear anything that bad. It's up to Lisa to tell the truth.
  • Don't trust people who dislike the ending!

Well, you can't expect children to understand everything they see on TV. This is a truly brilliant episode where Lisa discovers the truth about Jebadiah Springfield. But you know what? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Humor-wise this episode is merely on par for Season 7 (which is to say very entertaining). Of course, the real brilliance is in the conclusion. If your IQ is over 10, you'll understand the message.
  • The ending wasn't great, I must admit, but the episode was!

It was a nice episode that I fully enjoyed, but I have to agree a little that the ending was a bit stale. I mean, all that trouble with Lisa trying to prove to the town of Springfield that "Jebidiah Springfield" was really a pirate, and then saying he's great? Ok...
    But overall, it was a great episode which was a good installment to season 7.
  • One of my all-time favorite episodes

This is one of my all-time favorite episodes. The truth about Jebediah Springfield was interesting, especially with the parts like him trying to kill George Washington, and such. And the research and other stuff that Lisa went through to try to convince everyone that he was a fraud was just plain fun. And I like how the puzzle pieced together in the end. Also, Homer's job as town crier was pretty funny. I also can't help but wonder what would have happened if Lisa HAD told everyone the truth about Jebediah, but an excellent episode anyway.

Overall, one of my favorite episodes ever. I never get tired of watching this one.
  • lisa finds out that jebediah springfield, the town's founder was a pirate.

this was a good lisa-based episode and reveals a lot about lisa's character: that although lisa always wants to be a know-all and for everyone to know this, she does have a heart when it comes to letting people believe what they want to believe in some stages. this has been proven in other episodes such as lisa the vegetarian where lisa accepts that other people can eat meat and disproven in episodes such as homer vs lisa and the 8th commandment where lisa doesn't let homer steal cable. this had some great jokes and a great ending with homer becoming the town crier by simply pushing ned out of the way.