The Simpsons

Lisa the Vegetarian

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 15, 1995 on FOX

• I am Lisa Simpson

A few years ago, I had a Lisa Simpson experience straight out of this episode at my (former) job. We were having an optional meeting about how healthcare reform was going to affect our company. I was already skeptical. They started out with a political cartoon. They speculated on things that hadn't been confirmed. (This was They called it socialism. They literally said, "why should you have to pay for the sick and the old?" Everyone was gasping and eating it up. (People who hadn't paid attention to the issue at all were parroting exactly what was being said. I interrupted, saying the information was biased, that they weren't telling the whole story. It was just like the incident with the pro-meat film the students watch. I felt just like Lisa Simpson in this episode! I think that's why this episode is so popular. We've all had Lisa Simpson moments, when you have to stand up for your unpopular beliefs and the whole world seems to have gone mad. Some reviews have pegged this episode as anti-meat, but really it's about holding on to your beliefs and standing up for them when everyone is against you.