The Simpsons

Margical History Tour

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 08, 2004 on FOX

• Crude, tasteless and historically inaccurate... but also pretty darn funny!

The "three-story" episode format is always good for a few laughs, and this is no exception.

Marge takes the time to educate her kids about history, and we the audience are treated to these tales:

1. Homer as "Henry the VIII" featuring a hilarious parody of "I'm Henry the 8th I am." Probably the best segment, with a couple jokes that are just outrageous (such as Flanders being "cannonized.")

2. Lenny and Carl as "Lewis and Clark," with Lisa as a Native American with a name meaning "Little Know-It-All Who Won't Shut Her Maize Hole." A bit of tasteless humor in this one, including Carl looking for "sweet mermaid sex."

3. Bart as Mozart. The weakest of the trio, but a fine way to end things!

Overall, a great Simpsons episode that gets a little wild at times.
  • Just like the treehouse of horrors, a three segments-in-one episode

this episode is terrific, especially since most of the events that marge described happens in a completely different way which makes it all the more funny.
    the first segment was probably the most funny with Henry VIII (homer) singing the Henry the 8th song and the beheadings and of course the smothering by his first wife at the end.
    the second segment on sacagewa was my least favourite but had some great lines such as lenny and carl's beliefs.
    the final segment on mozart was hilarious especially bart's (mozart's) disbelief that people could be bored by opera.
    overall, a creative and funny episode.
  • A weaker episode, still worth a watch though.

An average episode, somewhat tainted by the fact that it was pretty unoriginal. We've had so many of these historical trilogy-based episodes, and they don't get any funnier. Anyway, on with the review:

Homer as Henry VIII: This was okay, but the story didn't seem to go anywhere. Homer's opening song was good, and it was good to see Dr. Nick again - he hardly appears anymore. The worst part was Lisa trying to grow a penis. In fact, this was awful, we didn't need to see that. 6/10

Lisa as Sacagiwea: This was also average. There were no stand-out moments, and I thought that the killing of Milhouse was a bit extreme. Lenny and Carl had a few funny moments, but they are really used too much these days. 5/10

Bart as Mozart: This was the best of the three. Bart was great as Mozart and perfectly characterized (at least for the altered story). Also Dr. Nick's appearance again and Nelson as Beethoven were great. 8/10

The "Animal House" ending to this episode was bad too. Overall, an okay episode, but it really needed more humour to make it stand out from the other trilogies.
  • Wonderfully funny episode one of the best three segment non-treehouse of Horror Episodes.

Marge takes Bart, Lisa, and Milhouse to the public library where all their books have been removed. The kids, without books to write reports with, are helped by Marge who tells them three tales from our history.
    Henry VIII: Homer plays King Henry the Eighth, who married and impregnated each of his wives in the hopes that he would get a son to carry on his fame and fortune. Lewis and Clark: Lenny and Carl play explorers Lewis and Clark, who with the help of Sacagiwea (Lisa) make their way to the Pacific Ocean to claim their land. Mozart: Bart stars as a young Mozart in the final story, which focuses on how much talent he posessed but how inconsiderate and annoying he was to the people who loved him. Lisa plays Mozarts sister who sets out to destroy his popularity and become famous herself, which proves quite costly. The show ends with Homer singing a song about the movie Animal House.
  • Triolgy Episode with stories like: Henry VIII, Lewis and Clark, and Mozart.

Henry VIII: Homer plays King Henry the Eighth, who married and impregnated each of his wives in the hopes that he would get a son to carry on his fame and fortune. 4/5 Lewis and Clark: Lenny and Carl play explorers Lewis and Clark, who with the help of Sacagiwea (Lisa) make their way to the Pacific Ocean to claim their land. 4/5
    Mozart: Bart stars as a young Mozart in the final story, which focuses on how much talent he posessed but how inconsiderate and annoying he was to the people who loved him. Lisa plays Mozarts sister who sets out to destroy his popularity and become famous herself, which proves quite costly. The show ends with Homer singing a song about the movie Animal House. 4/5

Overall- 12/15 or B+

Like most episodes in which the Simpsons make a triology of stories making fun of history, this episode was really funny. It displayed some crude humor but I found it enjoyable to watch. Give it a watch.
  • One of the worst episodes ever.

4.3
    This, in my opinion, is one of the worst episodes of The Simpsons. While some of the very early episodes may have been boring, this was absolutely painful to watch. While it did make a few clever references to history, virtually every other joke was like some piece of bathroom humor a fourth-grader would write. Bathroom humor is okay in small doses or when it is handled well, but, sadly, neither was the case here.

The plot of this episode was basically another three-one-in-one deal like the Halloween episodes, only this time we had Marge lecturing kids about history. Specifically we saw the stories of Queen Elizabeth, Sacagawea and Mozart. Each of these stories were loaded with some of the crudest humor ever seen. During the show, we were treated to a female character attempting to grow a penis (Lisa) and other moronic pieces of humor. The absolute worst of these, however, was when, during the final segment we heard a song about farts. The fart song was simply awful. I felt embarrassed for the writers and it was so awful I simply could not watch anymore. I left the room and did could not watch another episode for a long time.

On the plus side, this episode did make a few clever references to history. These were interesting and did add some value to the show. But, they simply can not redeem the abomination that was the fart song.

But this is just my opinion and I don't think I'm smarter than anyone else because of it.