The Simpsons

Moms I'd Like to Forget

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 09, 2011 on FOX

6.9
  • Not the best

This episode wasn't that great, with no real laughs, but it had a nice feeling to it.
    Bart discovers that a 5th grader has the same scar on his hand that Bart does. When he asks Marge about it, she says that she used to be in a sort of club with some other moms, and that Bart was friends with their sons. Bart encourages Marge to bring the group back together, and she starts putting her social life in front of her kids. Bart starts feeling that the kids are a bad influence on him, and tries to brake the group up, without success. But when he asks Dr. Hibbert about the scar on his hand, hoping it had something to do with why the group broke up in the first place, Dr. Hibbert tells him to go to Comic Book Guy, and he reveals the secret of the scar and of why they broke up.
    This episode started off well, with the rivalry between the 4th and 5th grade, but it seemed kind of bland. The plot was interesting enough, sometimes being faltered by predictability, but the real problem in this episode was the humor. It just wasn't there, and I never laughed, unusual for me when watching a Simpsons episode. And the few jokes they did have, from Marge's line about Homer eating peanuts in the shower to Homer using the toilet to do his taxes - It just felt forced, as if the writers forgot about humor while writing it and slipped a few gags in at the final editing.
    On the plus side, it had a healthy mix of recycling old classic plots and coming up with new ones. Bart's plot with the three 5th graders reminded me of 'Bart's Girlfriend' from season 6, when Jessica was making Bart do really dangerous things. Later in the episode, his efforts to find out what broke the group up in the first place are reminiscent of the first act of 'Pranks and Greens' from season 21, when Bart was trying to figure out what turned Skinner from 'cool to tool.'
    The new side of it was the part about Marge and the club of moms, although that could've been done in one of the episodes from season 12 to 20, I haven't seen them all.
    Hopefully season 22 will get better in the near future, the episode, 'Angry Dad: The Movie' looks promising.

3.9/10