The Simpsons

Mother Simpson

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 19, 1995 on FOX

• The episode that proves the simpsons are the best of the best

The reason that I said that this was one of the ground-breaking episodes is because hwo they inserted, and (flawlessly) pulled off an emotionally touching story without losing laughs along the way. In this episode, Homer fakes his own death to get out of work. He eventually goes to fix his error when he finds his mother, whom he thought to be deceased. The story here for the most part was very emotional, and with a hint of depression. You have to be heartless to not feel bad for Homer when you see the bond he and his mother. Overall, a pivoital episode for the show, and well worth watching. 10/10 A+
  • The Last Scene is one of the Saddest, Best Moments in the Show's History

Homer fakes his own death, and in the process, meets his mother, whom he thought was dead all this time. It turns out she was a 60's radical, who had to go on the lam to avoid being arrested. In the end, she again needs to leave Homer because otherwise she will go to jail.

A good episode, has a good story, laughs, and the end is easily one of the best moments in all of Simpson's history. Definitely one of season 7's bests, if not the best from the season, this episode gets an A+ from me. Perfect episode
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the simpsons homer comes in contact with his mother for the first time since she left years ago. and he learns that she is on the run from the law when she was younger she destroyed a germ lab. that was owend by mr burns. and homer wants to spend more time with her she washes him in a tub and its great to they see that she is hiding when she sees police and all fake names in her perse. and homer drives her to the station to get on the bus as mr burns looks for her. this was a good ep
  • Homer discovers his mother is alive and the Simpson family help protect her against Mr.Burns and the cops.

This is a great episode that we will all remember as Homers mother, Mona, makes her first appearance. There were some really great parts to this episode, Homer faking his death was brilliant and I liked Lenny and Carl commentating the dummys fall down the waterfall. I liked how the writers/producers brought Mona Simpson into the episode. How about Maggie dancing and doing the monkey, that was unexpected and a quick laugh for me!

Well, I think the writers/producers did a great job not focusing just on humor, but making this a very emotional episode!

Excellent episode! That I will always enjoy watching!

Hope you enjoy the review!
  • Homer fakes his death just like his mother did once.

When you look at this episode from afar, you start to see little patterns that make a whole lot of sense and were invisible to you when you just watched. For example, it never ocurred to me that Homer fakes his death in this episode because his mother did it once and this somehow runs in the family or in the genes. This episode is not very funny, at least not for me, but it is really nice. The way Homer and his mother treat and look at each other is just so warm and amazing, even for a cartoon.
  • Homer's Mother's origin is revealed in a very touching yet sad episode

Homer's long-lost mother returns to the Simpson family. After some initial pleasantries, Bart and Lisa suspect that something's fishy about their new grandmother. It turns out that Mother Simpson is a fugitive from the law and has spent the last quarter century in hiding. In a flashback, we learn that when Homer was a small child, his mother fell in with a band of radical hippies who planted an antibiotic bomb in the germ warfare development lab of Springfield State University. Guarding the lab at the time was a young campus security guard named Clancy Wiggum. The lab was run by a younger (but by no means young) man named Monty Burns. Ever since the antibiotic bomb attack, Burns and Wiggum have been on the lookout for Mother Simpson. Realizing that it wasn't such a good idea to emerge from the underground, Mother Simpson bids her son and his family good-bye and returns to her secret life. Guest Star: Glenn Close as Mother Simpson.
  • Homer fakes his death by using a dummy. When he goes to the graveyard, he is reunited with his long-lost mother.

I like this episode.

It usually begins with Homer trying to escape work by faking his death. Things go for the worst when the power to the Simpsons house is off.

I love family reunions. First, an old lady found Homer and yells at him for being at her son's grave. Homer retorts but recognize the old lady to be his mother. His mother gets excited when her son is now an adult. When Homer shows her at his family, that would made her the grandmother to Bart, Lisa and Maggie, and the mother-in-law to Marge. Here's another reunion. It is between Abraham and his divorced wife, Mona.

It is revealed that the main reason why Abraham was divorced with Mona because she is forced to go hiding after blowing up the chemicals on an university years ago.
  • There's only one thing in this episode that makes me sad.

Homer's mom being a hippie *cries*. Anyway, this is still a great episode, where we get to see Mona Simpson, Homer's mom, they bond together, until Mr.Burns finds out she is in Springfield. Burns is mad at Mona, because in the sixties, she, and a gang of hippies destroyed his germ warfare lab. At the end, she once again says goodbye to Homer, and goes once again to the underground.
  • Homer fakes his death with a dummy. Homer's mother, who he always thought was dead comes for his grave, and finds him. However, she has to go almost as soon as she came, as she is on the lam.

In one of the best episodes of the Simpsons golden age (about seasons 3-8) this episode mixes both funny gags and also has an emotional component that shows like Family Guy (and let's face it, most current Simpsons episodes)sorely lack. At the beginning after Homer fakes his death, he comes to the town records to clear it up when Marge nags him. The guy says his mom is still alive according to the computer, and homer runs up to the tombstone that he always thought was his mom, and was really the poet Walt Whitman. Just at that moment his mom arrived and they both said " I thought you were dead." (Gravedigger: Is anybody in this graveyard dead? Hans Moleman :Well, I didn't want to make a fuss, but now that you mention it...) Homer's mom delights the children and Marge, but her secret come out that she was a 60's radical on the loose from Mr. Burns. She leaves, but not before hitting her head on the van, and going "doh!" Homer stands out in the sunset with sad music which has got to be the saddest and most heartfelt ending in Simpsons history, at least up until then.
  • Homer finds out his mother is alive

Homer, true to his nature, goes through a lot of trouble to let everyone think he dies in order to get out of working on a Saturday. Then he wastes his well-earned day off laying in a hammock. Since the town thinks he's dead, people offer condolences, and the family's power is cutoff. Homer's has to go to the hall of records to straighten everything out.

While there, he reads his mom is alive, but tells the clerk what he was told by his father, that his mother was dead and was buried at a nearby cemetery. When Homer goes to actually check the headstone, he sees his mom isn't buried there at all. After falling into an empty grave, Homer's mother shows up and the two are reunited.

After living with the Simpsons for awhile, Mother Simpson reveals she's a 1960's radical on the run from the law. After being recognized at the post office by Mr. Burns, the law is after her again and Homer must say goodbye. After his mom drives away, the scene cuts to night time, and Homer sitting on the hood of his car, right where he last saw his mom.
  • Touching

For all the times we laugh out loud at the series, every once in a while an episode comes along which tugs at the viewers heart strings as hard as it can.

`Mother Simpson` is the most contiuously touching episode I've seen of `The Simpsons` so far. Homer meeting his mother, who due to his belief that she was dead, had not seen since he was a child, the amount of love between the two characters is so wonderful, and shows us just how human Homer can be at times.

The closing credits of Homer looking at the stars is unforgetable.
  • One of the most emotional Simpsons episodes, where Homer is finally reunited with his long lost mother...

This in my opinion is the best emotional Simpsons episode. It has a very good premise: who is Homer's mother? Also a great example of the way Simpsons writers have small things (like faking your death) can lead to huge things (like discovering your mother). Homer's fake deathw as extremely hilarious, especially the aftermaths when everyone thinks he's dead. Seeing Mona Simpson was delightfully amazing and it was good to see someone who Lisa can relate to. This was also a great episode of amazing plot, where Mother Simpson is linked to Mr. Burns, who will stop at nothing to get her. The ending, in my opinion, was the saddest ending I've ever seen in any episode. Everytime I see it, my eyes always water because I think of my own dear mother... This is truly one of the best episode of the simpsons. It deserves a 10 rating
  • the mother we all thought was dead (well, actually, she's never really been mentioned much)...the mother homer thought was dead...is alive!

this was a great episode from the start with homer's fake death to his argument with the department that he doesn't have a daughter named margaret and nobody in the graveyard actually being dead. and that's just in the first act! we find out a lot about homer's past and mona is revealed to be alive, wanted and on the run all in the same episode. this episode has some very funny moments like chief wiggum's anonymous tip and homer gets bored of him and hangs up just before he reveals who he is and mr burns creating germs, instead of cures.