The Simpsons

Mother Simpson

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 19, 1995 on FOX

• Distant Mother

Rarely in animated shows do I ever see stories with emotional sensability, the show for once has an episode that can tug at your heartstrings.

When I think of Homer's past I really don't know a whole lot about it. But finally we get to explore it which makes Homer an even deeper character. I really loved Glenn Close's performance as Homer's Mother Mona. You really got to know her and love her (let alone the orgin of the famous d'oh trademark), we see the kind of relationship she had with Homer when he was a child and it was a loving relationship which to me makes it all the more sadder. I can't help but wonder if she stayed around Homer might have grown up to be a better person, but we'll never know. We even see another portion of Burns past, his pathetic unyielding grudge toward Mona. I don't see why Homer's mom needs to be arested, personally I feel Burns is the one that should be in Jail for Life, since he created biological agents that could destroy the world, how the heck he was able to do it legally is beyond me. Seeing what Homer's mom did makes me admire her even more, because you can say she actually did the whole world a favor. I really love how she bonded with Lisa, it really shows how much Lisa does have a lot of her grandmother in her. However it comes down to an ending that is heartbreaking when we see that unfortunately she is unable to stay with the family. I'll admit the final minutes from the last words both Homer and Mona, Homer alone siting on his car all night, and hearing that sad music always put tears in my eyes.

This epsode truely shows that Homer J. Simson is more than just a cartoon character but a human being.