The Simpsons

Rome-Old and Juli-Eh

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 11, 2007 on FOX

• Great episode,extremely funny in places,particularly liked the Lord of the Rings parody...Overall I think the 18th Season has been thoroughly entertaining thus far...

Great episode, extremely funny in places, the laughs keep coming, and it's a fast paced episode which really kept my interest levels up, like many of the episodes have in this latest season. I particularly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings parody, complete with flying Dragon, shows that the new writers have perhaps taken note of other popular series like Family Guy, featuring more random, unexpected humor, which I haven't seen in the Simpsons that often in recent years. Overall I think the 18th Season has been thoroughly entertaining thus far as far as the quality, overall entertainment factor and consistency is concerned, and things are certainly heading in the right direction building up to the release of The Simpsons Movie in July, this is definitely going to be the Summer Of Simpson! 8/10 for the episode, but an extra .5 for the Lord of the Rings parody :)
  • Rome-Old and Juli-eh brought many laughs and to me will be a memorable episode. I mean who can forget the episode when Grandpa marries Selma!! I also loved how for once in a long time, Bart and Lisa acted like kids, which is a nice change to see sometimes

The simpsons redo their basement!! I just hope it stays like that, because it looked awesome. Probably not because of Homers money problems. The whole opening was hilarious but the biggest shocker was when Grandpa and selma started falling in love with each other. The subplot with Bart and Lisa was great and well played out also.

Did anyone notice anything with the animation?? At some points it seemed like they used the classic non-computer/hand-drawn animation which honestly I didnt mind because seasons 1-9 were animated like that and it kind of makes things appear funnier. Overall I think this episode was amazing, and Ill definitely watch it if it becomes a rerun.
  • Selma Bouvier-Terwilliger-Hutz-McClure-Simpson... good thing she didn't take Homer's request to be Nahasapeemapetilon aswell!

This episode started off very funny, with Homer mistakenly declaring bankruptcy when he misunderstood the concept and then pulling Abe out of the retirement castle since that wasn't a necessity, following on the running joke that he never cuts back on beer.

The first half of the episode was terrific, with Abe dating Selma but as soon as they got married, the episode lost its charm and while Abe is one of my favourite characters and his senility in the episode was great, the plot seemed to stop being hilarious and turned a bit odd, although the episode was saved with Homer's attempt at roleplaying.

The plot of the episode was pretty ridiculous and seemed to be an idea that the show would previously parody (which I think they did in Gump Roast) but the jokes were great.

Overall, the episode was hilarious but the plot wasn't so I'd say the episode was average but not the worst of the season.
  • I like it.

This is one of the best Simpsons episodes in a long time. I mean, come on, you have to love the Lord of the Ringa parody! That was hilarious! Really! Seriously! And when Nelson jumped of the box-castle and said a slow, "Haw-Haw!" and then started using two paper towel rolls as sords. Then, some random dragon comes in! It was so funny! I loved the shipping company's name! "American Shipping Services" Go ahead, abbriviate it. Thats what it said on the van! It makes me laugh every time I think about it!

Now onto Homer's plot, that was okay. I liked when it showed all the dates Abe and Selma went on. That was funny.

Thanks for reading my review and see you later!
  • this episode was the best ever with some twist added

Homer Simpson surprises the family with a newly decorated basement, now a rec room with a pinball machine, a ping-pong table and other luxury items, prompting his wife Marge to ask how Homer could afford all this. He says he has a plan and in the next scene files for bankruptcy before Judge Constance Harm, believing that this will save him from paying his debts. Unfortunately, Judge Harm tells him that the bankruptcy laws have changed and under the new laws, he has to pay everything back. When looking though the family's expenses, Homer decides to save a lot of money by moving his father Abraham out of the retirement home and having him live with the family. The rec room now doubles as Grampa's room.

One night Homer and Marge go out, and they ask Abe to babysit. Not entirely trusting Abe's competence as a babysitter, Marge also asks her sister Selma Bouvier to come over and watch Abe watch the kids. During the evening, Abe and Selma end up kissing and eventually fall in love with each other, and are unaware that they are caught by Homer, much to his dismay, as he wants his dad to end up old and lonely. Grandpa previously dated Selma's mother Jacqueline Bouvier in "Lady Bouvier's Lover". As is the case in this episode, Marge is happy with the arrangement while Homer is not. Homer calls Selma's twin Patty, and asks her how she feels about this pairing. Patty is no happier than him and she enlists his help to break them up. Patty impersonates Selma and Homer dresses up as "Esteban de la Sexface", a Spanish lover-type, and the two arrange for Abe to catch them kissing. Their plan is foiled though, when the actual Selma comes by and catches them. Angry at being manipulated, Abe proposes to Selma. She accepts; they are married and move in together.
  • Best episode of the season!

Easily the best episode of the season! The show is starting to show some signs of life in the past 5 or so episodes! Hopefully the new writers are starting to gain there legs! The grampa selma marriage was a classic idea and very funny! The little inside jokes like crossing out all of selma's ex husbands' was an old school inside simpsons joke! The subplot with bart and lisa was not the greatest but it did not take away from the episode at all however i would have loved more on the grampa and selma bit! Totally the best episode of the season cant wait to see if they are gaining steam now!
  • What's wrong with the new generation, this episode was awesome, it was like watching one of the old awesome episodes.

I thought the Simpsons had lost their awesomeness and had surrended to being crude and 'shocking' like the new other comedies. However this episode changed my mind, it was funny without going too far over the line. The best part, easily, was when Bart and List defended their cardboard castle against the shipping company A.S.S, complete with a fight against a dragon. The Selma and Abe storyline seemed more like a vechile to get more air time for Abe and Selma, and it worked for the most part. However the conclusion seemed a little rushed, and I wish they had kept them together.
  • How many times are the writers going to marry Selma? Nevertheless still amazing.

The court appoints an accountant for Homer when he incorrectly files for bankruptcy, which results in him cutting backing on everything including Grandpa's nursing home. During his stay at the Simpson house, Selma and Grandpa share a moment during a babysitting stint. Ultimately, Selma and Grandpa get married which leads to disastrous results when they move in together. How many times has Selma been married. If you ask me the writers should not keep marrying her. Anyway good episode this time Selma marries Grandpa Simpson WOW. She must be desperate. I mean come on. She can't find love that badly. Reguardless good episode.
  • Wasn't as good as I expected.

This episode had many funny parts. This episode was not the best Simpsons episode I've seen but it was pretty good. I liked the parts where Homer "flintstoned" his car. I also liked the part where Homer and Selma were supposed to make out and Selma picture Krabapple. Another funny part is where Abe tries to make tea, waffles and tries to watch a video, that part was HILARIOUS. I think that having Selma get married again. This plot is getting old. This is like the 5th time she has gotten married. Overall, I think this episode was good but could be a lot better.
  • Call me crazy, but this was the best episode of the season.

For the most part, this season has been an improvement over the shockingly bad Seasons 14-16. Now it's nothing to poke a stick at, and the writers have taken the show in a different direction and not necessarily in a good way; as I get the impression that the writers are young... too young to be writing to the standard that The Simpsons has set back in its prime.

This episode was good. Really good. Sure, the plot was a tad farfetched, but it was the good old, back to basics, ungimmicky Simpsons that I grew to love, and for that I am thankful for the fleeting classic episode that the writers manage to throw at us now. Sure, it's only a fingerbone compared to the metaphorical hand that the producers threw at us back in the series' golden era, but it's a damn good bone nonetheless.

The only thing that bugs me in retrospect really, is that Abe and Jacqueline's relationship from 'Lady Bouvier's Lover' received absolutely no mention whatsoever. Grampa and Jackie seemed to be on good terms then, and for Jackie not to object to her daughter marrying her former flame just seems a tad extreme IMO.

There were a few post 2002 unfunny Simpsons jokes being thrown around throughout the episode, but in comparison to a majority of Simpsons eps over the past few years, they haven't been as frequent. The situations (and extremes) that Homer and Patty had went to in order to keep Selma and Abe apart were funny, and Patty taking interest in Edna was hilarious, and I think is foreshadowing a possible relationship in an upcoming episode. ;) At least I hope so. That would be hot lmao. :D Although I always thought Patty was the uglier (and less likeable) of the Bouvier twins.

I couldn't care for Bart/Lisa's subplot though. It was amusing at first, but the whole war scene with the box manufacturers just dragged on and on, and was not funny or even remotely amusing AT ALL, and I just wish they would lay off such gimicky gags. In fact, I didn't even see the need for a subplot since the core plot was great on its own.

All in all, a good episode, and the best episode of the season so far. It's not saying much, but if future Simpsons episodes can live up even to this episodes standard, I certainly wouldn't mind adjusting. :)
  • Very weird story but believable due to the great writers of the show.

7.8
    When I first read the summery for this episode I assumed I wouldn't be very fond of it, And yet I trusted the writers would make it work, After 18 years of quality writing I never judge them too quickly, Plus the summeries of this show always looks weird at first. The writers of the show made this very weird storyline very un-forced, I could really understand the motives of each character. The Bart and Lisa B-Story was great, Alot of very funny gags.
  • Love affair!

the secondary story involving Bart and Lisa is better than the main story involving Grandpa Simpson and Selma. There wasn't much chemstry between the two and their marriage drags a bit. but the reason why I'm giving it a 5 is because of the secondary story involving Bart and Lisa and the cardboard boxes they used to bult a fortness. that got them in a conflict with the delivery drives as thbey battled each other in big fight. This is one of the lowest ratings that i ever given to a Simpson episode. tha all time low is a 4. giving it a 5 is punishment enough.
  • FUNNIEST EPISODE OF THE SEASON

this is one of the funniest episodes in a long long time.
    i love the whole grampa and selma falling in love, and bart and lisa reinacting L.O.T.R. there were alot of funny moments in this episode, also homer and patty making out, that was funny as well because patty pretending she was making out with mrs. krabapel and homer of course marge
  • Selma and Grandpa fall in love.

The court appoints an accountant for Homer when he incorrectly files for bankruptcy, which results in his cutting back on all of his expenses, including Grampas nursing home. In an unexpected turn of events, Grampa and Selma fall in love and move in together. When Homer and Patty plot to break up their love connection, the odd couple decide to take the relationship to the next step and get married. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa con a delivery man into giving them the most sought-after commodity in the neighborhood: cardboard boxes. Their alliance is put to the test when the delivery man realizes he was duped. An above average episode. The idea of Selma getting married is getting monotonous but this episode had the humor to make up for it. Watch this episode.
  • 2 out of the last 3 shows have been funny, I think the Simpson's might be making a comeback.

I know most say comeback from what, well alot of people have stopped watching even though it doesn't reflect on here and maybe not even that much in the ratings. It seems like they keep going back to the style they had when the show was in it's prime. I think that is good, go back to what made the show funny in the first place. Like Selma getting married yet again, or grandpa dating another one of Marge's relatives, he tried to marry Marge's Mom, I can't remember what season that was. They have proved once again they can write and don't need to add their hacky liberal propaganda anymore. They need more episodes like this, or maybe another episode tying into an earlier episode from way before might be funny. This show might be my favorite over Family Guy if it starts to get good again.
  • It felt way to flat.

Episode Rome-old And Juli-eh felt to flat for a simpsons episode and which winds up saying the worst of the season but not the worst Simpsons episode though. There is a postive side of the show I would like to say that there were many jokes in this episode like the scenes where Homer prentending to be a Zorro like character. The problem though with this episode is that the storys where just kind of boring. The scences with Bart and Lisa attacking the delivery men where kind of funny and crazy at the same time.

I will wind up saying this. The story was flat on all three story plots which all felt like fillers but the jokes where very detailed.
  • Good,but not great...

7.2
    I thought this episode waz okay. I mean the simpsons had better episodes. Its not necessarily the best episode, but not the worst I've seen in this series. I think the simpsons are trying really hard to outshow and outrate family guy (maybe overly)! The simpson are a excellent series, but i dont know if I personally like where season 18 is heading. The whole Lord of the Rings paraody waz pretty funny, but...
    The whole episode was pretty unecessary. I mean they could have done without the whole plot. Also, waz there a plot? I could not figure it out. Grandpa waz removed from the retirement castle and fell in love with Selma...so?
    The simpsons has more to offer. I know they'll figure it out and find their old charm that made us fall in love with them in the first place...
  • Not the best...and not the worst

7.2
    This episode didn't make me laugh much, but I really like the sub-plots and side-stories. And the allusions to the increasingly popular "beseiged-castle" stories was very cerebral. My favorite line was when Bart said, "who would of thought that people who wear brown-shirts could cause so much trouble". I doubt if many people got that, but it was very cool. And I definitely liked Grampa's watered down bed-time story for the baby ("no matter how many soldiers you tickle..."). But I definitely felt they could have done more slap-stick type jokes and less toilet humor...I know that's what's "in", but I think they could raise the bar here.
  • Not the best...and not the worst

• Grandpa and Selma fall in love with each other

When Homer accidentally declares bankruptcy, Grandpa ends up leaving the Springfield Retirement Castle and falls in love with Selma; Bart and Lisa con a delivery man out of cardboard boxes. I thought that this was a perfect episode of "The Simpsons". There were many parts that made me laugh hard and both storylines were very well done. Although, I liked the Bart/Lisa plot just a teeny bit more but I still loved both storylines. Grandpa and Selma falling in love with each other was not an episode I was looking forward to when it first premiered but I ended up loving this episode when I first watched it. There were many parts that made me laugh such as when Homer said "Dos Selmas, ay ay ay" when they used Patty to kiss Grandpa and many more but I can't remember. The ending to the episode was also nice when Grandpa and Selma had their last dance since they broke up. As for the Bart/Lisa plot, the reason I love this plot a little bit better than the main plot is because it was the most hilarious and most creative plot that I have ever seen from this show. I loved the fact that Bart and Lisa made a fort out of cardboard and I loved how the delivery men wanted the cardboards back but Bart and Lisa refused. The part that really cracked me up in this subplot though was when Bart and Lisa had a war between all of these delivery guys and they use cardboard as weapons to defeat them and a dragon appearing out nowhere in the battle made it even more funny. Couldn't stop laughing at the subplot, it was original and hilarious. Overall, a perfect episode of "The Simpsons"... one of Season 18's best. 10/10
  • Grandpa and Selma getting married?!!

I really don't know what the writers were thinking when they were writing this episode. The episode itself was just wrong in some many ways, it's hard to remember it all. The fact that they made even Selma and Grandpa get together shows that they are running out of show ideas.
    What I find the weirdest thing about this is that it's a marriage within the family; Selma is Homer's sister in law and Grandpa is Marge's father in law, what the hell would Homer and Marge be? The only thing I liked about the main story was when Grandpa was struggling with the "new technology."

The second plot was just a weak one, it was like they couldn't think of anything for Bart and Lisa except set up a storyline just so they can recreate the scene from LOTR. Not saying that the fight scene wasn't good, I especially like when the dragon came flying down because it was so unexpected.

Overall, I give this episode a 3 out of 10 for a stupid storyline and a weak sub story.

Grampa falling in love with Selma was a bad enough idea to start with, I thought, we didn't need to see them break-up almost immediately after.

Bart and Lisa's subplot was funny in a little kid way, which does not make it seem right for this show.

Overall this episode was just plain ridiculous, and not in a good, funny way. I just wanted it to be over when I first watched this. Just terrible I think and not funny at all, except for maybe on or two amusing lines. My overall grade for this episode is a D+ or so
  • Watch this episode to get a feel of what the new producers are doing to the show to ruin it!!!

2.1
    For Everyone Who liked This episode: You probably will not like the classic seasons of the simpsons (2-10). Where the writers actually came up with good jokes and scenarios. With this in comparison to the old or even comparing the episodes of the whole last 3 seasons, the episode was worse than horrible. Im giving this episode a 2 only because they stole a cool scene from lord of the rings and i laughed twice. The rest of this episode was disgusting, granpa and selma getting married was quite the worst idea the new writers have ever some up with. This episode uses humor from randomnness and stupidity. Trust me, i get that enough from the horrible series of My name is earl. Please stop trying to make this crap the old writers back, they are actually funny!