The Simpsons

Rome-Old and Juli-Eh

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 11, 2007 on FOX

• Selma Bouvier-Terwilliger-Hutz-McClure-Simpson... good thing she didn't take Homer's request to be Nahasapeemapetilon aswell!

This episode started off very funny, with Homer mistakenly declaring bankruptcy when he misunderstood the concept and then pulling Abe out of the retirement castle since that wasn't a necessity, following on the running joke that he never cuts back on beer.

The first half of the episode was terrific, with Abe dating Selma but as soon as they got married, the episode lost its charm and while Abe is one of my favourite characters and his senility in the episode was great, the plot seemed to stop being hilarious and turned a bit odd, although the episode was saved with Homer's attempt at roleplaying.

The plot of the episode was pretty ridiculous and seemed to be an idea that the show would previously parody (which I think they did in Gump Roast) but the jokes were great.

Overall, the episode was hilarious but the plot wasn't so I'd say the episode was average but not the worst of the season.