The Simpsons

Rome-Old and Juli-Eh

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 11, 2007 on FOX

• Call me crazy, but this was the best episode of the season.

For the most part, this season has been an improvement over the shockingly bad Seasons 14-16. Now it's nothing to poke a stick at, and the writers have taken the show in a different direction and not necessarily in a good way; as I get the impression that the writers are young... too young to be writing to the standard that The Simpsons has set back in its prime.

This episode was good. Really good. Sure, the plot was a tad farfetched, but it was the good old, back to basics, ungimmicky Simpsons that I grew to love, and for that I am thankful for the fleeting classic episode that the writers manage to throw at us now. Sure, it's only a fingerbone compared to the metaphorical hand that the producers threw at us back in the series' golden era, but it's a damn good bone nonetheless.

The only thing that bugs me in retrospect really, is that Abe and Jacqueline's relationship from 'Lady Bouvier's Lover' received absolutely no mention whatsoever. Grampa and Jackie seemed to be on good terms then, and for Jackie not to object to her daughter marrying her former flame just seems a tad extreme IMO.

There were a few post 2002 unfunny Simpsons jokes being thrown around throughout the episode, but in comparison to a majority of Simpsons eps over the past few years, they haven't been as frequent. The situations (and extremes) that Homer and Patty had went to in order to keep Selma and Abe apart were funny, and Patty taking interest in Edna was hilarious, and I think is foreshadowing a possible relationship in an upcoming episode. ;) At least I hope so. That would be hot lmao. :D Although I always thought Patty was the uglier (and less likeable) of the Bouvier twins.

I couldn't care for Bart/Lisa's subplot though. It was amusing at first, but the whole war scene with the box manufacturers just dragged on and on, and was not funny or even remotely amusing AT ALL, and I just wish they would lay off such gimicky gags. In fact, I didn't even see the need for a subplot since the core plot was great on its own.

All in all, a good episode, and the best episode of the season so far. It's not saying much, but if future Simpsons episodes can live up even to this episodes standard, I certainly wouldn't mind adjusting. :)