The Simpsons

Simpson and Delilah

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 18, 1990 on FOX

• One of the more underrated episodes in the history of the series. I like this episode a lot. It's only fault is that perhaps it could have been more subtle.

This is one of the first-rate episodes of the series. I loved most everything about it. From Homer getting the baldness cure to his kissing his assistant Karl played excellently by Harvey Fierstein.

The hair restoration cream is a good satire of all of those miracle baldness cures that are out there in the market. Except for Homer, this one actually works. And it changes his life. He's goes from zero to hero at the power plant in no time. Although I felt the episode beat its theme into us a bit too strong, I think it did what it was supposed to do and was hilarious.

Also, the creativity of the director and his animation team reach new heights with this episode. Notice the transiton between the floor of the executive washroom and the side of the office building. Okay, if you haven't seen the episode, you won't know what I'm talking about. But pay close attention when you do watch it. A lot of interesting new camera angles.

Everything in this episode was a bit of a stretch. The miracle hair cream was the tip of the iceberg. If Mr. Burns is so damn rich, why doesn't he just invest in the Dimoxinil himself and restore his hair? Ignore these plot holes when you watch. The Simpsons can get away with it in this case, because everything else in the episode works so well.

This deserves to be a classic. From the ratings this episode has received so far, most fans would disagree with me I guess. Oh well. To each his own. Maybe I just happen to enjoy this one out of personal preference. Still, I stand by the fact that the show broke new ground with this one. More pop culture parody and more outlandish expirimentation that the show didn't do in the first season. From here on out, the show would do more episodes like this: plots that other unanimated sitcoms could never pull off if they tried.
CW