The Simpsons

Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 17, 1989 on FOX

• The beginning of the Simpsons

Love this episode. Homer goes to the dog track race and bets on Santa's Little Helper who ends up losing. Santa's Little Helper joins his family and turned about Christmas for Homer's family at the end.
  • Great episode

What else can you say but first episode, first christmas episode. We are introduced to a lot of our favorite characters like santa's little helper the losing mut. A lot of people dont care for first season because of the small number of jokes and serious plot but its every bit as good as any other season. After making a very small amount playing a mall santa homer decides to take bart to track to gamble the money on a horse with a name that calls out to homer Santa's little helper, homer thinking it must be a sign is saddened when he and the dog lose but really win when because the dog lost his owner abandoned him ironically right in front of homer giving him the present for his children he so desperatly needed.
  • This episode need a review other than perfect? No. It was the episode that started it all.

It may not be the first time the world saw The Simpsons, but it is the first canonical episode. From this point on, this television show changed television as we know it. On top of that, its also a great christmas story along the lines of The Grinch and other christmas classics. Perfect!
  • Great Classic

Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!vGreat Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!Great Classic!
  • The cultural incidence of The Simpsons.

I don´t think this episode, by himself, deserve a 10 as a score... this is not a bad episode, but there are much betters, and I think that a 8 would be more suitable. Even, I think that I have put to all the first season some rather-high ratings. But, when I think this season as a cultural thing, it shine much more than before, and the 10 is well given.

To the boys and girls that, like me, are in the 20-25, The Simpsons serie have been a great friend in all our childhood and adolescence. And there are some things that will stay in our memories I think that forever.
    We´ll see the fights between Homer, Lisa and Bart and we´ll remember our own fights with our brothers, when we live in our parents home, and life was so much easier.

I remember to have a routine in my adolescence, when I have hangover after a party night, of putting some of the first seasons of the show and watching it during the sunday afternoon, and some phrases from this chapters was great jokes to all the people in our age.

So, when I see the first chapter of The Simpsons, his cultural meaning have much more incidence in me than the story (even as it is really funny on his own), and then, the 10 points I give to this chapter have much more meaning, since this chapter was the opening door to all of the others (better or worse) chapters from The Simpsons.

Oh!, by the way, I really really really love the songs in this chapter: All: They never let poor Rudolph,
    Join in any reindeer games.
    Bart: Like strip poker!
    Homer: I'm warning you two!
    LOL.
  • Lisa Simpson needs to use the bathroom but Milhouse and Bart are hogging it, read this for fun and enjoy!!!!!!!!

(Bart and Milhouse are in the Simpson's bathroom in the house, the only bathroom in there. They are both having a shampoo fight with eachother.)

Bart:Ha ha you'll never spray me man.

Milhouse:Guess again buddy. AAAhhhhhhhhhh AAAAAAAAhhh!

(Lisa Simpson knocks outside the door)

Lisa:Hey are you done yet, what are you guys doing in there.

Bart:Nothing, get off our backs.

Lisa:Bart come on, please let me in I really need to use the toilet!

Bart:Sorry, looks like you're just going to have to hold it and wait sis, ha ha.

Lisa:EHH! Come on Bart hurry up I drank like two gallons of milk with Magggie I gotta get in there.

(Lisa is now shown outside squriming with her legs crossed in torment. Homer walks by.)

Lisa:Dad, can you get Bart out of there, I really need to peeeeeeeeeeee!

Homer:Sure honey (Homer knocks) Hey boy, what are you doing in there, your sister is waiting.

Bart:Just me Dad taking a nice clean bath.

Homer:Got you boy, good job keeping clean.

Lisa:Dad, what about me.

Homer:Well what do you want from me honey, you never disturbe a man from his bath.

(Homer walks away leaving Lisa. Lisa is left there with her arms and legs crossed in squriming and hopping torment and knocks again.)

Lisa:Bart, come on, please let me in already, I really need to use the bathroom, that toilet, and there are none left in the whole house.

Bart:Ok fine, here.

(There's a rumble outside and a bang, and the toilet comes landing in near Lisa.)

Lisa:NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I, NEED, TO, PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

(Then suddenly the bathroom door blasts off open with water spraying everywhere as a huge wave blasting Bart, Lisa, and Milhouse off it out off Springfield. Lisa has her hands tucked in tight still squirming.)

Lisa:DOHHHHHHHHHH! Bart why couldn't you just let me in the bathroom to use the toilet for just a few seconds, huh, WWHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

****

(All three splash into inside the mall into the girls room.)

Milhouse:Oh no Bart, not here, lets get out.

Bart:Right, come on Lisa...Lisa?

(Lisa's feet are shown at the open bottom part of a stall and the stall is closed and locked.)

Lisa:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNKKKKKK HEAVEN!!!!!!!
  • Definately the best series opener for any tv show ever written a very special episode does not describe it well enough.

as i said before definately the best series opener for any tv show ever written a very special episode does not describe it well enough, From the second it started till the second it stopped it was truly a great episode my favourite jokes were the reindeer one and this:

(Santa's Little Helper is chased off by his owner, and comes running towards Homer and Bart.)
    Homer: Oh, no, you don't! No, no! Get away from me! Uh-uh!
    (Santa's Little Helper jumps into Homer's arms.)
    Bart: Oh, can we keep him, Dad, please?
    Homer: But he's a loser. He's pathetic! He's...(Santa's Little Helper licks Homer.)...a Simpson.

The One That started it all from this episode through to All About Lisa Season 19 the simpsons have been the greatest show of all time and they will be for years to come...hopefully they don't get cancelled.

Thanks,
    Ahh Goobras

Screw flanders Screw flanders Screw flanders Screw Flanders Screw Flanders Screw flanders
  • This is a great episode i like it very much.

The simpsons is a cartoon that I can watch all day and it can be watched by all family. This episode is the first one of the great serial.And it allways will be in my mamoris like the firs and best cartoon i have even see.And it allways will be in my hart. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T H E S I M P S O N S . . . . . . . . . .
  • Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.Nice.

Very nice. Very nice. Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.Very nice.
  • The one that started it all.

This is easily one of the best pilots to any T.V. show. It perfectly introduced the characters and the story bought back many memorable Christmas specials about a loser who gets a stroke of luck on Christmas Eve. There were also many funny moments from Homer naming reindeer to Bart singing "Jingle Bells". While the animation wasn't that perfect in the beginning, I was able to ignore and enjoy myself while I was watching this episode. And while newer Simpson Christmas specials would be made, this one is still the best after all these years. Although it didn't win the Emmy, it was still good to see that it got nominated.
  • a good way to start the simpsons

the simpsons say good-bye to the tracy ullman show show and gave us this glorious episode . it's about when bart gets a tatoo , marge has to spend the x-mas money to make sure the tatoo is removed , however homer gets no x-mas bonus and is stuck working as a mall santa with only bart knowing of this . when he finally gets his low paycheck barney suggests to go to the dog track and bet on a dog named whirlwind. howevr , homer bets on the wrong dog , santa's little helpr and lose the bet . homer and bart walk the streets trying to find anytrhing to make merry x-mas but no luck . then , santa's little helper's owner abandons him anbd homer and bart decide to keep him making a merry christmas after all . anyways , this is a good episode and a good way to start the simpsons .
  • How How D'oh!

In this episode we learn who The Simpsons are. The introduction to theire characters are very similar to how we know them by the years. Homer as the father who tries to make out of all the misery something good, with the most stupid remarks and handelings. Marge as the caring mother and loving wife. Bart as the brat who is always up for some joke. Lisa as the smart one. And Maggie, well we know she likes to suck her pacifier and drops a lot. :-)

It's a real nice episode with so much thing I can relay to real life. No Christmas-bonus, money-troubles during the holidays and stuff like that. It can be a very nice time, but if you haven't anything you just want to make your family happy, it can be a pain in the *ss.
    I really like the jokes in this one, Homer who strangles the Santa-teacher, the Jingle Bell's Playground Version, the Christmas decorations and the "How How D'oh"!

Season Greetings from Marc
  • Homer is buying gifts for Christmas.

Simpsons Roasting on A open Fire.

It's Christmas time at Springfield. Homer is buying gifts for Christmas. This episode mostly centers around Homer. Homer is wearing a jacket because it is Winter. They are roasting on a open fire. It makes everyone warm. This show is so good I could watch it again. Do you want to see it? WATCH IT!
  • The one that started it all! And what a start.

Right from the first episode everyone knew this show was something special that would last a lifetime.

This first episode dating back to 1989 dealt with Homer having to find
    a way to get money for Christmas presents because he did't get a bonus at work.

At the beginning the show seemed a little weird with its
    strange yellow characters, but this episode proved that these
    characters did indeed have a heart.

The comedy in this pilot is a little more subtile then in later episodes but it does prove its point.

Also when you see this episode you will notice that characters have had some big changes over the years like

Barney giving up alcohol and Lisa becoming both a vegetarian and a budhist.

I have seen this episode many times but it has never lost its charm.

10/10
  • Totally Awesome.

I love The Simpsons With All My Heart. This Episode Man, How Can You Not!! The Jokes Are Great! The Animations Are Fantastico! Or Um, Fan-Diddily-Tastic....................
    Never The Less, Buy (Or Steal) Season One On Video Or Dvd.
    I Was Only Fool'n, Do Not Steal This. Unless You Wanna Spend Twenty Years In The Slammer With Bread And Water, Icey Cold Showers, Gaurds Womping Your A** Around The Clock And The Only Way Out Would Be Suic*de.

No Seriously It Would Be.
  • As they say, the oldest are the best!

This Simpsons episode, counted as the first full length episode, is set at Christmas. Whilst shopping in the mall, Bart buys a tattoo which thinks would impress his mother, yet doesn't, and spends all the Christmas money getting it removed. But they can count on Homer's Christmas bonus... meanwhile, Homer waits for his Christmas bonus but hears over the intercom that there will be no Christmas bonus this year. Homer tries to keep this secret, as he gets employed as a Santa at a local mall. Bart attempts to pull a prank to tell if the beard is real, finds out it's Homer and tells Bart to keep quiet. But they spend their remaining money at the racetrack on No. 8, AKA, Santa's Little Helper. Unfortunately, they lose, and go home emotional. But No.8 racehound gets kicked out of the Stadium, and the Simpsons decide to keep him.

This was a great episode! 10/10.
  • Merry Christmas Simpsons!

It's Chritmas at the Simpsons and not everything is merry. Bart gets a tattoo and Marge is forced to spend all their Christmas money on getting the tattoo removed. Homer doesn't get his Christmas bonus and trys to find a way to get money for Christmas. He goes shopping and buys cheap stuff for everyone. He ends up in the bar and meets up with his friend who plays Santa in the mall. Homer decides to join him and earns a meer $13. Homer decides to bet it on racing dogs. He loses, but he gets a dog. He brings the dog home and everyone is happy. Great way to start off the series!
  • The start of the simpsons.

The very first simpsons episode which was a spin off of the original episodes on the tracy ulmen show now a whole series done by matt groening. the first episode of the simpsons had a good storyline in it and was exicting because it was the first simpsons christmas episode. it was magical because the simpsons went from spending their christmas money on barts tattoo removal that bart had it say mom on the tattoo to please her and she got mad because he is not old enough to have a tatoo to finding a stray dog from the springfeld downs and feeling ritch to have another member of the family. This was my favorite simpsons episode.
  • this is a very interesting and sad way to sart out a seires

this began the seires ive only seen half of this episode anyways so i dont know what to write in my review great pilot very interesting very sad love this episode i was sick the day i first saw it so i give this episode a 10.0 out of 10.0
  • Homer and Bart go to the greyhound racing tracks and addopt a racing dog named Santa's little helper

I liked this episode it was a great storyline. A brilliant way to start a series. I love Bart's ow quit it and Grampa's opinion on the happy little elves. I can't believe it aired 4 years before i was born. Patty and Selma calling Bart and Lisa dear really made me shiver. By the way who's that kid that hangs around with Bart and Milhouse. They could have introduced more characters like Edna Krabbapel and Jackie Bouvier could have come for christmas anyway i love this episode ( by coincidence i first saw it on christmas day 2003 when i got season 1)
  • This is the first episode of the emmy award winning series "The Simpsons"

During Christmas time Marge takes Bart, Lisa, and baby Maggie to the mall to buy Christmas presents. Bart gets a tatoo and Marge uses all of the Christmas money to get it removed. Meanwhile Homers boss Mr. Burns tells all the workers that they wont be getting a Christmas bonus this year. That left the family broke. Homer doesn't tell Marge and says he wants to do the Christmas shopping. Homer takes a part time as a mall Santa, and Bart finds out. Homer and Bart go to get his check for being the Santa and it is only for 13$. Barney tells Homer he should go to a dog race. Homer and Bart bet the 13$ on the dog Santas Little Helper. Santas Little Helper looses and comes in last place. Outside the man that owns Santas Little Helper chases him out and tells him not to come back. Bart asks Homer if they could keep him, and Homer says yes. When they bring Santas Little Helper home, everyone thanks that was the Christmas gift for the whole family. At the end during the credits the family sings a slightly different version of Rudolth the Red Nosed Raindeer.
  • I love the very first season of The Simpsons and right now, it's a Christmas special!

I really watch the very first Christmas special and here why that I love this part when Bart is signning "Jingle Bells' in a Batman & Robin version (This is so funny!), also when Marge went to a Christmas shopping, Bart really wants a tatoo but Marge pay the whole money after Bart tatoo is remove (How sad for the Simpsons why Bart really loves so much.), next Homer wants to get a Christmas tree when the guard dogs are chasing it! Finally Homer and Bart that relly want is a dog (which is Santa's Little Helper when Bart called his named). This special is great for the whole family that enjoys you for the holidays every year!

If you really want to watch the very first Christmas special, get the First season of the Simpsons DVD or The Simpsons Christmas 1 DVD. I hope you really enjoy that show!
  • The Simpsons Christmas Special: The Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire

This is the great episode of The Simpsons. Its the first ever episode and it was enjoyable. Not my favourite Christmas episode but really good anyway. It shows that they can have a good Christmas by getting a dog named Santa's Little helper from the dog racing track for free.
  • c

Este episodio es genial trata de como al comienzo Marge le pregunta a los niños que van a querer para navidad Bart quiere un tatuaje pero merge no lo deja entonces el decide hacer uno que diga madre(mother) pero solo se lee moth polilla en ingles y marge se pone brava y lo manda a quitar el tatuaje con loa ahorros de los simpsons para navidad entonces Homero decide trabajar como papa noel y todo iba bien hasta que Bart le quita la barba y lo delata para recuperar dinero Homero y Bart deciden ir a apostar pero apuestan por el peor perro, al prder el dueño del perro lo pone de patitas en la calle y los simpsons lo adoptan
  • A perfect start to the Simpson's franchise

Although the Simpson’s were first aired on the Tracy Ulman show, we remember this being the first ever episode of the Simpson’s on prime time. Simpson’s roasting on an open fire was a perfect start to the Simpson’s franchise because the episode has many laughs but also shows sadness since Homer receives no Christmas bonus this year and Marge has to spend all the money in the jar getting Bart’s tattoo removed. Just when all hope is lost the dog that they bet on (Santa’s little helper) runs and jumps on Homer. The line is “But he’s a loser, he’s pathetic, he’s a Simpson”.
  • Even Mcdonalds won't get a bigger audience than this episode. Warning: Contains spoilers.

Ah, the beginning of the Simpsons. I've watched this episode a few times, and I don't really find much humor in the first episode, but I did think the plot was very great. It's like Family Guy. The first season seems to have less humor, but the plots are better than other seasons. This doesn't really goes for South Park. This episode was a very happy episode. Homer doesn't seem to be his idiot self like he is in other episodes, but he sure is caring for his family in this episode.

Homer doesn't get a Christmas bonus and Marge had to spend her Christmas money to remove a tattoo that Bart got to say, "Mother" on it. Well, Homer doesn't want that to stop Christmas. He lies to his family (but eventually tells Bart) that he did get the Christmas bonus and tries many things to get money to pay for Christmas. Well, eventually he has to confess but gets a dog in return from the dog race. This dog, Santa's Little Helper, lost the dog race but the Simpsons welcomed him with open arms. A truly happy episode and a truly great one, too.

I enjoyed this episode and I hope you do, too. The beginnings of the Simpsons come before this episode, but this episode was the first episode of the actual TV series. It may not be like the Simpsons Movie, but it's plot is well written. You should truly thank Mimi Pond, the writer for this episode.
  • The SImpsons at their start

In 1989, a new cartoon primetime show came and took the US and Canada by storm. The SImpsons lept off Tracy Ullman straight to a 8pm time slot on FOX. The first episode shown was dealing with the Simpsons' losing their first cat, Snowball I, Homer not getting a Christmas bonus thanks to Mr. Burns, Bart's attempt to wow his mom with a tattoo gone astray, Marge losing the Christmas money because of Bart, and Homer having to work as a store Santa to fit the bills, whatever $13.50 can buy for a fmaily of five. A new pet comes into Homer's life and things look good but not Patty and Selma.
  • I had no idea this was the first episode when i was a kid.

When this episode first aired i was only one years old. This was the episode that started the family comedy of are yellow family from Springfield.My its hard to imagine the changes that were made in animation in the past 22 years this show has been on for.everyone will remember the first time Bart got his incomplete tattoo that said moth instead of mother.or when Homer needed a raise from his job to get presents for the family for Christmas and he got a job as a mall Santa.any ways this was a good episode and i hate all of those Simpson hater today who think after 22 years it should be cancelled.

• The beginning of 22 seasons!

The Simpsons, the animated television sitcom that has brought us 22 seasons and is pretty much ready for a 23rd, began as a real TV show in this episode. Before this, it was just one minute breaks in the Tracey Ullman Show. This is a christmas special: when Marge takes Bart and Lisa to go christmas shopping, Bart secretly gets a tattoo, and Marge must pay the christmas savings to get it removed. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns neglects to give Homer his christmas bonus; the family is in for a rough christmas. Homer tries to get some money working as a shopping mall santa, but in the end only gets payed 13 dollars. He goes with Barney to the dog track, and bets the money on a dog named Santa's Little Helper. The dog loses, and Homer and Bart are ready to go home and admit to the rest of the family that christmas is ruined, when Santa's Little Helper jumps into Homer's arms. They keep the dog and christmas is saved.

Obviously a classic, this is perhaps not the most hilarious Simpsons episode, but I love seeing characters like Patty, Selma, Barney, Moe, Mr. Burns, and Smithers before they were really established.
  • This is one of my favorite Christmas specials.

I watch this episode every Christmas season. It's not only a great Christmas episode; it's also an effective introduction to the Simpson family. It's a sweet story how Santa's Little Helper becomes the perfect gift for the family. Bart's introduction singing wrong Christmas carol lyrics is a classic nod to all the trouble he'll be getting into in the coming years. I like the emotion that comes from this episode. I think everyone can relate to the desire to provide a wonderful Christmas for the family. Twice we have to watch Homer suffer when he finds out the power plant is not giving a bonus and then again when his Santa check is much smaller than he expected. You feel so bad for him that you find yourself rooting for Santa's Little Helper so that Homer can get the money he needs. In the end, Homer comes through when he brings Santa's Little Helper home. It's a very happy ending.
< 1 2 3 4 5