The Simpsons

Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 17, 1989 on FOX

• The first installment of the of The Simpsons is a very good episode. I described it as a "very special episode" for one reason, because it's the first episode in one of the best shows of all time. This episode set it off.

This episode was well written I think. There were nice jokes, mixed in with emotion. Homer not being able to avoid Christmas for his family is something no parent would want to deal with. I thought this episode captured the anxiety and sadness quite well.

The jokes were good, Bart's rendition of Jingle Bells showed us right off the bat what we'd be dealing with throughout the series. Homer shopping for Christmas gifts was classic I thought. Deciding to buy the pantyhose for Marge, then the sheets of paper for Bart, "I bet he could think of a million things to do with this." The best one was buying the chew toy for Maggie "It says it's for dogs...but Maggie can't read." Nice joke.

I liked one of the more subtle references to society, when Homer goes to get his paycheck for being Santa, he only gets $13, the woman explain all the taxes taken out from it. I saw this as a take on the way the government is today with taking taxes out of peoples pay, leaving them with very little. Not as small as 13 dollars, but it was still a nice little joke. Bart's monologue about how tv has taught him that Christmas miracles happen was a nice reference to many famous Christmas specials, ie Charlie Brown and of course Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol.

Of course the dog track scenes were typical Homer Simpson. Him changing his bet to Santa's Little Helper based on what he thought was a "sign". Homer's naivety and spur of the moment personality are two reasons why we love him. The shot of Santa's Little Helper jumping into Homer's arm, and Homer claiming him as a Simpson was very sweet.

In the end, they all sing around the piano, and are a happy, loving family.