The Simpsons

Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 17, 1989 on FOX

• Great Unintentional Introduction!

I say "unintentional" in that this season's finale, "Some Enchanted Evening" was originally set to be the primere episode, as it supposedly introduced all the characters well. Now, I haven't seen that episode in a long while, but I would still say that this does a better job than that would, as it not only introduces the four main characters in a way that we get a good glimpse of their future personalities, but also many other characters seen later in the show's run, such as Principal Skinner, Barney Gumble, Milhouse, Mr. Burns, etc.

The story itself is great, kind of a blueprint for other Simpson episodes to come, in that it shows the much used "cause and effect" story used often in the series (in which something completely different eventually leads to the main problem of the Since this was the eight episode actually produced, the animation and vocal work is of great quality for this time in the series.

All in all, a great introduction to a great show, a hint at what is to come.