The Simpsons

Smart and Smarter

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 22, 2004 on FOX

• Lisa becomes jealous when everyone thinks Maggie is smarter than her.

The family attempts to enrol Maggie into a pre-nursery school but is rejected by the rude admissions clerk as she cannot yet talk. Lisa recognises her talent so they bring her back to the school for an IQ test. This time the admissions clerk labels her a genius, with an IQ of 167. With Maggie the smartest in the family, Lisa is jealous and tries to make herself a different person but her new identities fail. When she finds she is a little too bitter, she runs away from home and finds refuge in the Natural History Museum. The police track her down and bring the family there to find her. The family, minus Maggie, gets caught in a giant working model of the digestive system. With Maggie at the controls, she almost drowns her entire family until Lisa apologises and helps her push the right button. Ths school informs the family that all along Maggie was just relaying answers that Lisa subconsciously gave her, and not a genius after all. This was another well-executed plot from season 15. Overall I loved this episode. Maybe not the best of the season, but it was still pretty well put together. I also thought Simon Cowell fit in well as a guest star to the episode. Give it a watch.
  • Maggie is smarter than Lisa... Has the impossible happened, Lisa is not the smartest Simpson anymore????? Maybe or maybe not this episode had a great trick ending and had hilarious humor...

• How the darker, more sinister Simpsons can be a good thing at times.

What's not to say about this episode? Sure this episode is dark at times, like most of the Series in the past few years, especially with Lisa becoming tired and hungry and penniless after running away from home, but it is combined with a good sense of drama, the likes of which has not been seen since the early days of the series. Also Alf Clausen has done a brilliant job with the score, continuing to prove that it is a major character the equal of Bart or Homer.
    In short a brilliant episode, yet not an absolute classic.
  • This episode is great. Two fantastic Simpsons episodes in a row.

Two good episodes in a row? Wow! I thought the appearance of Simon Cowell would be pretty awful and leave me really annoyed, but he suited the character perfectly and he was made fun of a fair bit.

The opening was very good and quickly led into the main storyline... no waiting around for five minutes until some silly antics had finished (there were silly antics in the opening, but they didn't last long). There were a lot of great moments in the episode, such as Homer and the spelling machine (Hu-O-Meh-Eh-Err and later, Z-Z-Z-Z-Z...) and Bart's line: "Welcome to... the others!".

I actually can't think of anything bad at all in the episode, apart from we saw too much of Wiggum, Lou and Eddie in the museum, it got a little tiresome. And Maggie playing the saxophone at the end was pretty strange, even if she is really smart.
  • Maggie smarter than Lisa?

This plot was a very creative one with great jokes, one of my favourite scenes being homer and his speller that can't seem to pronounce Homer's name. The two sides of the tongue was a great idea (sour and sweet), deciding Lisa's mood. I don't watch American Idol (or Australian Idol for that matter), so I didn't appreciate the guest star of Simon Cowell but this didn't make the episode any worse. there were a couple of scenes that didn't have too much humour but not that many and this is one episode that I did enjoy watching and could watch at least a couple more times.
  • Milks23 is wrong. This episode is a good example.

From Simon Cowell guest starring to Homer's halirious Mr. Speller, and from smart Maggie to Lisa running away from home, this episode has many funny stories in one, and I loved all of them. The Mr. Spell mostly. It was halirious. "My name is Hah-Oh-Meh_Eh_R' lol, that thing was so weird it was funny, trying to spell Homer's name. Simon Cowell guest starring-Unexpected, but alright. I don't really like Simon but he is kinda funny at some points, like when he's saying who he likes and who hates in the credits. Then we have smart Maggie. She's so smart Lisa feels dumb and runs away, believing she has been outsmarted and goes to the museum. When she is found, Maggie saves the family from being digested in a giant human body statue and Lisa likes her again. And someone from her nursery reveals that Lisa has been giving her the answers too. Great ep, very good. I couldn't like it more. Lisa has a nice role, and this is also one of the best Maggie-based episodes (like And Maggie M
  • Maggie is a genuis, but wait....Lisa is feeding her the answers.

4.9
    Another reason why the show is failing.

This episode was boring and I truly think it was written just to have Simon from American Idol appear in some form.

Maggie is a genius, but wait, Lisa was secretly giving her the answers, but before we get to know that, Lisa is jealous that she is not the smart one in the family anymore.

Awww, man, they are trying to hard.

What was up, with Lisa and Maggie during their old age......I know it was meant to be funny, but still: Lisa is talking and walking, Maggie is in a wheelchair and still have a sucker in her mouth.

WOW!

The only real entertaining parts was Bart and Homer's one up competition match and that great quote: "Marge I always loved you, Bart you were a worthy foe".....PRICELESS

Overall, bad episode.