The Simpsons

Summer of 4 Ft. 2

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 19, 1996 on FOX

• One of my all-time favourites and the definitive example demonstrating how Lisa can be one of the best characters of the series if you give her a heart.

You can put down Summer of 4 Ft. 2 as a top ten episode of the Simpsons in my books. This season 7 finale provides for an excellent 22 minutes of television with a dead-on encapsulation of summer ideals, characterizations that perhaps have never been better, and an understated sense of humour that permeates through the story as opposed to filling in the gaps.

Probably the biggest criticism I see being stated about this episode is its basic premise. The idea of a character wanting to reinvent themselves as they enter new territory is something that has been seen before. That being said, I happen to think that if you can use familiar concepts and pull them off with expertise, which I feel Summer of 4 Ft. 2 does, that is more of an asset than a liability.

Particularly effective elements within the episode include the great secondary support of Milhouse as the jealous Bart's pathetic but lovable sidekick, and the comic relief of Homer's escapade with...wait for it...dynamite. Lisa is of course the star of the show here and along with a few other strong episodes of hers, this exemplifies how can she can be utilized as an intelligent but human character who does not always have to be embittered (I'm looking you seasons 20/21 writers).

Finally, we have the ending which, while maybe not quite as tear-inducing as, say, Lisa's First Word or And Maggie Makes Three, is the perfect choice here and an effective close to a consistently effective episode. Speaking of which, it's about time for me to end this review and I think the best way to do it is with a nod to this very episode...

See ya! (I write the way people talk, too.)