The Simpsons

The D'oh-cial Network

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 15, 2012 on FOX

7.8
  • Lisa creates a social website in which everyone at Springfield get addicted to it

As the mastermind and creator of the online social networking phenomenon SpringFace, Lisa is called to trial when Springfield's obsession with the site becomes chaotic and dysfunctional. Lisa recounts her story and explains that she created the site after realizing she had no real friends. But as SpringFace expands and Springfield's fixation with the site causes mass hysteria, Lisa begins to realize that adding thousands of friends online did not compare to having real friendships. Later, Patty and Selma compete against the Winklevoss Twins in the rowing event at the 2012 Olympic Games. This episode was superb...would have been perfect but I missed the first 8 minutes of it when it first aired so I cannot think that this episode was exactly perfect. Although the ending did ruined the chance for a 10 score so I can care less. Anyway, I thought the plot was great when Lisa create a Facebook parody website in which everyone get addicted to it. I don't really know which was funny since again I didn't caught act one...I did remembered some funny parts during the next few acts. Overall score 9/10
  • the simpsons the doh-cial network

i thought this was quite a good episode i did laugh at some parts like the ask jeeves joke that was pretty funny and i liked ralph's quote all my friends have birthdays this year of course anything that he says is funny i thought the Winklevoss twins gag was a bit random for the simpsons anyway. and the part when principal skinner told the story in that dark stanley type animation i thought that bit was pretty good as well overall a good episode
  • Congratulations on being the first episode where i didn't laugh once

Everytime i dislike an episode of this show, i am still able to laugh at something. this episode failed to make me laugh at all. in this episode, lisa makes a social networking site called SpringFace because she wants friends. it's an interesting plot i guess but the jokes were really miss. a lot of it ran longer than it needed to, such as lenny living where the simpsons were visiting, the couch gag, and more i can't remember. the ending had nice animation with skinner telling the story, but it was pretty much completely unneeded. also, the ending with lisa suddenly being accepted by her peers and asked to go out and play... why? what about her suddenly makes people like her? the fact she made such a hit site but now is taken down? doesn't make much sense. so yea, this is basically my new least favorite. none of it was funny, the pacing was terrible and the plot had potential, but it didn't use it as well as they could've. F
  • Hoping To Make Friends, Lisa Starts a Social Networking Website

"The D'oh-cial Network" is not an unforgettable episode of "The Simpsons" but it's not too bad. It seemed to move very fast and not explain itself all too well in certain areas. I have no idea exactly why Lisa was put on trial for starting Springface. Also, as I have said countless times in my episode reviews of this series, it's very formulaic. We know Springface will be shut down by episode's end. However there are some good things to say about this episode. There are some genuine laughs here (I particulary liked the auto plie-up. How funny was Chief Wiggum on the Segway?). I also must not forget to mention the amusing cameo by David Letterman at the beginning and Armie Hammer briefly reprising his role as the Winklevoss Twins (or as Jerry Izenberg called them, The Winklevi) at the end. Once again this episode is not great, but it's not bad either.
  • One of the best Season 23 episodes I've ever seen

As the mastermind and creator of the online social networking phenomenon SpringFace, Lisa is called to trial when Springfield's obsession with the site becomes chaotic and dysfunctional. Lisa recounts her story and explains that she created the site after realizing she had no real friends. But as SpringFace expands and Springfield's fixation with the site causes mass hysteria, Lisa begins to realize that adding thousands of friends online did not compare to having real friendships. Later, Patty and Selma compete against the Winklevoss Twins in the rowing event at the 2012 Olympic Games. I thought that this was a perfect episode of "The Simpsons". It has been the best episode since "Bart Comes To Smell the Roosevelts". Definitely one of my favorite Season 23 episodes that I would want to watch again. I really loved the storyline and tons of humor made me laugh. My only nit-pick was the last few minutes of the episode. Seriously writers? you couldn't add in a little more story to keep the time limit but instead, they make a horror kind short story with Bart and Millhouse (which by the way is a filler). The episode should've just ended with the part with Selma and Patty at the 2012 Olympics and then that would be a good ending right there. So yeah, despite that short story in the last few minutes of the episode and the writers not being smart enough to add a little more time to the storyline of the episode, I loved it. Some people say that this show is going downhill but I honestly still love this show and it honestly didn't go downhill for me. Sure, it does have its weak episodes here and there but that will never change the fact of how much I love this show. There were a lot of parts that made me laugh. For one thing, the introduction was very funny and hopefully writers don't shorten the introduction anymore because I know it takes up a few minutes but I still enjoy seeing what goes on in the introduction. As for the humor which I was about to get to... I laughed really hard with Homer trying to watch the movie through the other car, Homer and the family wasting that guy's time and getting him angry, Bart's line "We totally wasted that guy's time" and then Home responds "And ours too", Linny going into that princess place, the "Memorium" part, Bart being punched by one of the bullies for saying a word (that I forgot) and then both that bully and Bart punch that kid, Homer going to Cinnabun and eating all of the cinnabuns, Linny's line "I don't know how to use the phone on my phone", and many many more. Also, the ending (not really an ending but it should've been since it's better than doing a short story for the last few minutes) with Patty and Selma at the 2012 Olympics doing a rowing contest and beating those guys was kinda dumb but it was also pretty funny at the same time. Overall, love the storyline and love the humor in this episode... one of the best Season 23 episodes I've ever seen. 10/10
  • Unfortunately, an old hat.

3.5
    Firstly, I am not a believer in the widespread idea that the Simpsons episodes are getting worse lately. However, I believe that, having better knowledge of popular culture '12 than '91, it is easier to notice when they slip.

While this season had its share of good episodes, this one ultimately falls flat due to its somewhat outdated premise. Let's be honest: a list of sources that have NOT yet parodied The Social Network would end up being insanely short. The movie itself is more than a year old, and while overly long production cycles may be to blame for that, it should still be possible to make something fresh out of it. Remember, many successful parodies were written decades after the original.

Unfortunately, this episode brings nothing new to the table. Homer buying a new computer is absolutely nothing new, and the depiction of paper-thin notebooks in cartoons has been done before. Lisa's story arc, which is in the episode's center, follows her attempts to make more friends by opening a social networking website. She unites the school's nerds to write it and finds herself with more than a thousand virtual friends, but no real ones. Message: friends on facebook are not real friends. What a revelation. Lisa's personal change over the course of that arc is utterly predictable, as are all the other characters' reactions to the implementation of Springfield's own facebook. The episode takes a situation and shows us static characters' reactions to it instead of giving us a real conflict and proper character development, as the much better-written and genuinely funny "The Book Job" did in this season.

Comedy, in the Simpsons, does not work because of recognition or a series of throwaway jokes, but because we care about the characters that engage in comedic situations. This episode does not make us care.

As an addendum, it should be noted that the last five minutes of the show are unrelated filler, with one showing Patty and Selma racing the Winklevoss-twins (depicted as being madly in love with themselves and, therefore, each other) in a rowing competition. There is not a single unpredictable joke in this segment - if you have seen the teaser, you have seen all of it. The second filler section (self-referentially titled as something to the extent of "the this-episode-was-too-short-story) is a Struwwelpeter-esque fable about Bart and Milhouse playing a prank and being punished for it. While stylistically interesting, this segment bears no connection whatsoever to the main plot - even less than the previous one - and serves as padding. The authors showing that they were aware of this fact does not make it better.

All in all, one of the, if not the weakest episode of this season.

Pros:

* Depicts a wide spectrum of different Springfieldians doing their thing

* Some interesting pieces of animation

* The Ask Jeeves reference was clever

Cons:

* Parody falls flat

* Many story elements (Mapple) have been used before

* Practically no character development or genuine conflict

* Very short episode ends in unrelated and self-referential filler

* Some plot points go nowhere (Homer's new computer, the entire courtroom framing device)

* Predictable moral
  • It just keeps slipping.

While I don't think this episode was anywhere near as bad as (the truly terrible) 'Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson', the fact that the last three and a half minutes of a 21 minute episode were filler is a worrying sign. If you can't write a story that successfully takes up the allotted time, why just accept it as it is? Why not try and develop the story more to actually use the time available, or even write it off as a bad job and come up with something else entirely?

Instead they were willing to just say "yeah, whatever, we'll throw together something to kill time for the last few minutes". If the writers and producers don't care about the show anymore, why should we?
  • I love this show, but it needs to stop now before it ruins what esteem it still has...

This episode, like a majority of the others they've put out for over a decade now, are shallow, unfunny, and are boring branded TV-safe parodies. this is no exception; I'd even go as far to say as it set the bar even lower. I just hope the 500th episode is a pleasant surprise.
  • Lisa's social network proves chaotic.

Lisa creates her own social networking site, which has so many similarities to Facebook, when she realizes she has no friends. It's a big success and thousands begin using it, which doesn't look to be a problem, until EVERYBODY uses it. ALL the time. It creates car wrecks, fires, and dozens of deaths and Lisa must delete it. Decent episode, a lot of stuff happens like in most episodes. Pretty funny.
CW