The Simpsons

The Food Wife

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 13, 2011 on FOX

7.8
  • Kinda made me hungry

Marge takes Bart and Lisa on a weekend excursion, but when an unexpected restaurant detour awakens their taste buds, fellow foodies Amuse Bruce and Fois Garth inspire them to start their own food blog, "The Three Mouthketeers." They score an exclusive reservation at Springfield's premiere modern restaurant, but Marge has an unsettling dream during which Anthony Bourdain, Gordon Ramsay, and Mario Batali lead her to reconsider extending the invite to Homer. Later, Marge directs Homer to a different type of cooking lab where he gets into a bind with law enforcement authorities. This episode was an improvement over Replaceable You. The storyline to it really made me hungry when Marge, Lisa, and Bart were eating the tacos. I really enjoyed food related episodes like this. Some of the great moments were the beginning of the episode, the song, the dream, and the ending. Overall, this is a great episode and it is really worth seeing it again. 8.5/10
  • the simpsons the food wife

this is a good episode of the simpsons this is the first new episode of simpsons i have watched in a long time and it was very funny the whole marge and her tastebuds was strangly funny homer going to a meth lab and not realising it and when bart says stop calling us gang gangs are cool really good episode
  • What a great episode! Reminds me of the good ol' episodes of The Simpsons

These "newer" episodes of The Simpsons are like leftovers. They aren't as good but they are still definitely worth eating. I still love this show and I consider it to be the best show I have ever seen in my whole life but I need to admit that after 23 Seasons, it is not what it used to be. I still laugh and I enjoy every single episode and I am DEFINITELY buying EVERY single season from 1-25 when they all come out but it seems like they changed how they act. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right (sorry if someone is reading this) but I still love the great guest stars (Anthony Bourdain and Gorden Ramsey was such a pleasure to see on the Simpsons) and I know that they will have brilliant episodes coming up like this one!

• How many Sharks is this show going to jump?

Homer in a Meth lab. That's when you know you need to take this show out back and shoot it in the head then shoot it agian to make sure it's dead.

The Simpson doesn't even have the balls to use the Nintendo Name or E3 or anything of the sort like South Park does and it takes away from the experence.

This Episode only gets a 5 because of Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay doing guest voices. Other than that it's another sign this show needs to end and it needs to end NOW!

• A little better than last week's episode "Replaceable Me" but it doesn't beat the first two Season 23 episodes.

Marge takes Bart and Lisa on a weekend excursion, but when an unexpected restaurant detour awakens their taste buds, fellow foodies Amuse Bruce and Fois Garth inspire them to start their own food blog, "The Three Mouthketeers." They score an exclusive reservation at Springfield's premiere modern restaurant, but Marge has an unsettling dream during which Anthony Bourdain, Gordon Ramsay, and Mario Batali lead her to reconsider extending the invite to Homer. Later, Marge directs Homer to a different type of cooking lab where he gets into a bind with law enforcement authorities. Well, I'm glad that I had the whole plot to copy and paste because there was really nothing much to say about this episode. This episode was great and I really liked it for the most part but it wasn't Season 23's best. While it was a little better than last week's episode "Replaceable Me", it isn't as good as the first two Season 23 episodes in my opinion. It was funny when Homer, Bart, and Lisa went to the video game convention in the beginning of the episode. The video game reference that Homer with the throwing disc at people was pretty cool and funny. The Ratatouille reference towards the end of the episode when that bad guy ate some kind of apple pie and flashed back into his childhood was very funny also. I don't think I laughed at anything else after that. I also laughed at Gordon Ramsey being in Marge's dream and he tries to wake himself up. There really wasn't much humor in this episode and some of the parts in this episode were a little boring and also dragged a little. Those two things are the reasons why my score is a little low. I did love the whole food storyline in this episode, it made me hungry just looking at it :D LOL. Overall, a great episode of "The Simpsons" but it's unfortunately not Season 23's best. 8.5/10

• A funny and enjoyable modern day Simpson's episode that in some ways had the charm of the golden era episodes in terms of satire of the culture around us. Hopefully it's foreshadowing of the future for this series.

Though the actual story about Marge and the kids becoming foodies wasn't all that interesting to me, it was done well enough to keep me interested until the end, and included a hilarious cameo by Chef Gordon Ramsay.

The video game convention spoofs were better than the spoofs i've seen in recent years and got off to a good start and managed to maintain my interest and keep me laughing much of the way through.

Occasionally bordering on the "clever" fence here and there, it was refreshing to sit down and watch a Simpson's episode and not be entirely disappointed.

In my opinion this was one the top 10 if not the top 20 episodes of the past 6-8 seasons and gives me hope for the future of the series.

• great

what i liked- the marge taste buds on her tongue (see the episode and you'll know what i mean), "We're not a gang, gangs are cool!", "Come on, be a foodie. You're already a fattie and a drunkie", the Breaking Baddies line from Chief Wiggum, the ending to the episode, amongst other things.

good episode. the only things i did not like were the video game parodies at the beginning, or the rap song. neither of these things was terribly bad though. B- or so is going to be my final grade for this episode.

• By the scale of modern Simpsons episodes, "The Food Wife" was pretty sharp, with a sequence that parodies gaming culture, a Tim and Eric song about food blogs, and guest appearances by a handful of celebrity chefs.

The jokes ran from amusing to quite funny, and that's quite a step up from the last two episodes, both of which were so much joyless trudging across the tundra.

The show skips the opening sequence and cuts right to Bart and Lisa receiving their final marbles needed to fill their reward jars. Their good behavior has bought them a Saturday Surprise Dad Day, and Homer takes them to a video game convention. Among the games are Shaun White: Time Snowboarder, Terrence Malick's Tree Of Life Online, and, best of all, Human Centipede. Lisa enjoying the homework mission on Marching Band was pretty good, too.

By three minutes in, Marge is jealous of Homer's new title, "Fun Dad." She and Homer decide that she will take them for a fun Saturday next, but instead of the X-Games, she somehow takes them to the Cross-GAMES. Hooray for acronym jokes! On the way home, car trouble lands them in Little Ethiopia, where Marge, Bart, and Lisa dine at the Haile Delicious restaurant, conveniently located next to a hookah bar.

While Marge is initially nervous, she is quickly won over by the awesomeness of Ethiopian food. They are joined by Comic Book Guy, Sideshow Mel, and some local foodies, played by Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim. Inspired by the shared experience, Marge and the kids start a food blog. Cue a food blog song from Tim and Eric, which was the highlight of this episode. The hotties that I chill with: srirachi and kimchi. Yes, yes.

So, Homer is jealous and tries to woo the kids to a crazy amusement park ride, but they have an invitation to a molecular gastronomy restaurant. It's silly, but I love Homer's slink-off here: "It's too sad to walk! It's too sad and fun to waaaalk." Marge invites Homer to join them, but she is later troubled by a dream in which Homer steals her thunder. The dream includes a bouncy-ball parade of Anthony Bourdain, the Swedish Chef exchanging words with Mario Batali, Julia Child, Colonel Sanders, some guy I should probably recognize, and Guy Fieri riding Paul Prudhomme. Then Gordon Ramsey shows up to yell at Marge and steal her dream.

After a brief argument with Lisa about The Three Musketeers in which Marge is rather hilariously knowledgeable about the plot, she decides to give Homer the wrong address to the restaurant. I don't know why he's at work when they explicitly stated that this meal was taking place on a Saturday night, but I'm rolling with this minor script inconsistency. Anyway, Homer winds up at a meth lab instead, and while I like the idea that Homer could confuse a meth lab with a gastrochemistry kitchen, the execution of this final sequence is somewhat less fun than the rest of the episode. OK, I like the parsnips from space and the Ratatouille callback, too, but the meth cooker guy getting angry at Homer and trying to kill him just seemed random.

Credit must be given to the writer of this episode, Matt Selman, for finding a fun topic to lightly mock, and to Tim and Eric for their song, although their characters don't have that much else to do. I thought Bourdain, who is my favorite travel show guy, was sadly underused, but I liked the little bit of Batali and Ramsey. The best thing about this episode was that it did not try to stuff any outlandish plot mechanics or out-of-character character moments down the viewers' throats. It stuck to the basics: the family dynamic combined with gentle mocking of a still-current fad. I say "still-current" because although it is probably true that food blogging is a bit past its expiration date in some cities, I don't think that it has been overdone everywhere. The episode was funny and well-observed, and that is all that any Simpsons fans can ask for.

CW