The Simpsons

The Old Man and the Key

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 10, 2002 on FOX

7.4
  • Grampa Falls in love with a woman who wants a man that can drive.

Loved: Homer being excited about the XFL. The old ZZ Top guys. The Achoo/Apu joke: "I've got problems with both." "I Broke my beard." The Itchy and Scratchy Hour on the radio. The Branson Bus.
    Bronson MO (yes I spelled that right).
    I love that the old people went to Branson MO, it's definitely the old people destination. Overall: Unfortunately, Very low on humor. But it was a good story. Grampa has been missing over the past few episodes so it was nice to see him again. Jon Vitti is one of the best Simpsons writers from the classic era and although not his best, this is worth watching. 7/10
  • Much better than the last episode.

When a lady named Zelda moves into the retierment home, Abe tries to impress her, but Zelda falls in love with a guy with his licsense. Abe asks Homer if he can get his licsense. Homer says no, but marge lets him. When Abe crashes the car in a death race, Homer forbids him to drive anymore. Then, Abe steals Marge's car and drives to Branson with Bart to chase after Zelda.

This was a pretty good episode. Much better than The Lastest Gun in the West. I loved Abe driving in the Sea world, and much more.

Overall Grade: 80%/b
  • Abe Simpsons tries to impress Zelda by driving.

This episode is not as good as the other episodes from its season, but it sure does not derserve to be as under acklamed as it is. There were a lot of good gags in this episode like the death race, the article of old man yells at cloud, and the last scene where Abe publically humiliates Zelda. One of the funniest parts is when Bart helps Grandpa hotwire Marge's car. The bottom line is that this episode is not horrible. It surely isnt a series classic, but its not half as bad as people say it is. A solid B
  • Maybe not the best episode out of this amazing season, but still that does not mean that this episode is horrible.

When a sultry new woman takes up residence in his retirement home, Grandpa is determined to win her affections by impressing her with his driving skills. Grandpa convinces Homer to let him borrow the car, and he proceeds to make a mess of the town's roads. Although he impresses the new old gal, he's still forced to compete with the younger Casa Nova of the retirement home. When the younger man takes Grandpa's new girl on a road trip, Grandpa "kidnaps" Bart, taking him on the road to win back the woman from the arms of the other man. Of course in the end, he's unsuccessful in his attempts, but he and Bart are able to bond through the experience.
  • Nominated for the worst episode ever...

I really don't know whether to even bother reviewing this episode! I suppose I'd better. All I really have to say about this episode is that it was crap. I laughed once, at the Scrabble-Ships game at the beginning, but after this I couldn't laugh at anything.

It's a shame, really, because Grampa is a funny character, but only when he's being senile or old-fashioned. He is just not funny when trying to be young and hip.

I also noticed Homer was shouting a lot in this episode - it's pretty much all he did. The plot was a bit stupid, too. I think that's all I am going to write.
  • Abe Simpson is shown in a different light

Until this episode i saw Abraham Simpson as a senile old fool which is what makes his character so funny. i still do see Abe in this light but the episode also showed that abe could be daring by accepting the death race. the fact that the retirement castle made a mistake in reporting abe as dead was funny as was homer saying that abe had to learn just like his father made him learn... very ironic. the fact that abe ran after zelda to win her back was a concept i didn't particularly like which was why i was relieved, and laughing, when abe dumps her in front of everyone. a very humerous episode.
CW