The Simpsons

Treehouse of Horror IV

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 28, 1993 on FOX

• Homer the Vampire Slayer

This is another one of the most perfectly done anthology halloween episodes of Simpsons. I really love the fact that the format homages on Rod Stirling's "Night Galery" (another of my favorate anthology horror shows)and all those painting in the background.

The Devil and Homer Simpson: Homer has done a lot of stupid things in his lifetime but selling his soul for a doughnut takes the cake, in fact it's probably the stupidest bargin anyone would make in the entire universe. It was really funny and made sense the Ned Flanders would be The Devil, he still had a bit of that personality we knew well but had evil attached to it to make him a bit menicing. My favorate part in that tale was of course seeing Homer go to Hell and then he's hooked up to that torture machine to eat all of the doughnuts in the world, and he litterally does just that. Nightmare at 5 and a half feet: A parody on of course "The Twilight Zone" anthology tale "Nightmare at 1,000 feet" it was just funny and a bit sad seeing poor Bart trying to prove to everyone there is a gremlin destroying the bus but of course everyone believes he's crazy or as usual their all just too stupid to even look out the window enough. Bart Simpson's Dracula: This is my fifth favorate anthology tale in the series. Monty Burns was great in the Dracula role. It even had a small homage in once scene where Bart and the other kids hover above Lisa's window which was toward both the movie "The Lost Boys" and Steven King's "Salem's Lot". But of course this who story is driven by the jokes, two of my favorates are of course seeing Bart as usual exersise stupidity when he is running for his life he then stops to activate a lever labeled "Super Fun Happy Slide" even Homer almost falls for the trap, yeah unfortunately this further proves Bart has a lot of his father in him.

But most of all it was the vampire slaying sequence which just made me laugh my head off. Where Homer sticks and hammers the stake in the wrong place ouch, but then gets it right of course second time around and gets fired by Burns before he dies, comic gold. But the twist end is great just when you think it's over it's not.
CW