The Simpsons

Treehouse of Horror X

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 31, 1999 on FOX

• The Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl sequence is great!

Treehouse of Horror X is one of the better TOH episodes, if only for the second story, "Desperately Xeeking Xena." In fact, this is my favorite story of all the Treehouse of Horrors, probably because I was such a comics fan as a kid. Here Bart and Lisa are given superpowers; Bart becomes Stretch Dude, and Lisa becomes Clobber Girl. "Simple Simpson" is the best superhero spoof the Simpsons have done yet, but Xeeking Xena comes a close second. My favorite line: the very moment Bart realizes he has superpowers, he announces, "I must only use this power to annoy!"

The other two stories are almost as good, with the first being a standout: a spoof of "I Know What You Did Last Summer," "I Know What You Diddily-Iddly-Did" is prime dark humor, with the Simpsons running over Flanders and trying to fool his family into thinking he suffered a natural death. The last story, "Life's a Glitch, Then You Die," is funny, mostly because subpar celebrities like Tom Arnold show up to spoof themselves, placed on a rocket headed straight for the sun.