The Simpsons

Season 25 Episode 2

Treehouse of Horror XXIV

Full Episode: Treehouse of Horror XXIV

Full Episode Summary

There is no description for this full episode yet. Write one!
7.2
out of 10
Average Rating
77 votes
Episode Discussion (5)
In case anyone would like to see a 2 minute review of "Freaks" from 1932 referenced in The Simpsons 3rd story tonight.http://cinemassacre.com/2009/10/05/05-freaks-1932/
Interesting. I LOVED the intro, that was a hilarious strong start. The first story was alittle slow at first but after the murder started it was great. 10 minutes of rhyming is hard to keep entertaining, but their were enough decent jokes sparsed throughout.The second, again, the plot line seemed kinda thin till the end.The 3rd was good, but mostly because I immediately recognized the reference to the 1932 movie "Freaks". However that's a reference 99% of the audience is gonna miss IMO.I dunno, this was a good episode for me but how could it not? How can you mess up Tree House of Horror? These are always my favorite episodes.Not my favorite THoH but not bad. A 9 (by today's standards. It's not fair to compare to the original seasons)moreless
I know; I didn't really understand the hatred directed toward this episode. It was nice to see an episode that wasn't chock-full of trendy guest stars or just a big ad for another TV show like the previous episode. Not to the best THoH, of course. But it wasn't bad by today's standards.
wow, so a making a parody is promoting a show?, I guess you hate all simsons episodes that are parodies, right?
I hate bad attempts at parodies that come off as advertisements for another show, yes. It was actually "Homerland" that got me interested in Homeland.

But not having seen Homeland, the first time I saw "Homerland", I didn't find much interesting about the episode because the references only appealed to people who knew the show. Homeland isn't...say...Apple. It's one thing to make a parody of Apple (i.e. "Mapple"). Most people know about Apple; it is part of American mainstream culture now. Most people do not know about Homeland--it's a popular show, but shows on paid cable channels always have some limited appeal. The parody didn't work for me because unless you knew Homeland well, the references fell flat.

The so-called "parody" of Homeland reminded me of the "-Movie" movies like Date Movie and Epic Movie. Those movies don't parody anything. All they do is stick references in. A parody is an intelligent lampooning of a pop culture or mainstream item; it isn't just shoving references into an episode. And that is why, for me, that parody was not effective. The Simpsons has done MUCH better parodies than that.
moreless
11:00pm
FXX
Wednesday
No results found.

More Info About This Show

Themes

Classics, Sitcoms, quotable, dysfuntional families, lazy father figure