The Six Million Dollar Man

Day of the Robot

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Feb 08, 1974 on ABC

• My most memorable episode

Good story, good score, realistic fight sceene(didn't look like stuntmen, either). Having just seen it for the first time since it aired 39 years ago, I was surprised to find I enjoyed it as much at 52, as I did at 13.
  • Robot wars...

Episode 4, and already a marker has been laid for why the show was never quite the same after Season One. Steve's pal Major Sloan (John Saxon) knows something that can procure muchos dollars for the oddly cheesey Dr.Dolenz, a man so weird that he can't even decide on a christian name... Jibes aside, Day Of The Robot beams with class, John Saxon fits nicely into the dual roles of a relentless machine leading up to one of the ultimate Bionic fight scenes, juxtaposing with his dazed human embodiment wandering wearily around the park with a bad case of amnesia. Dolenz would return twice, as irritating as an itch in an unreachable place, yet Henry Jones brought an endearing quality to the part, the "mad" scientist balanced with a gracious wit. Two thumbs firmly up for this one.
  • I Robot, You Bionic?

This is an hilarious episode.

A crew of bad, even mad scientists, (headed by actor Lloyd Bochner), make a robotic double of Steve Austin's Friend/Tennis partner, Major Sloan.

The Synthetic man, radio-commanded by a, then revolutionary, now pre-historic, computer is... stupid. Steve, who still has a well functioning organic brain, quickly uncovers the ploy and makes a swift end to the day of this robot.

The automat wears the skin of actor John Saxon, a perfect choice. He plays the robot in a rigid, even clumsy way. This strangeness combined with the funny interactions between Saxon and Majors makes this episode so good.

The climax is an incredible, more than six minutes long battle, completely in slow motion, with fitting sound effects!

Not to miss.