Most Overrated Episode?

jd1975

[1]Apr 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    In hindsight, after seeing "Dr. Wells Is Missing" again recently on YouTube after a few years, I'm starting to think that it's not as good as I initially thought. For a start, the scene where Rudy gets a dose of the notorious cloth is just pure cheese, also Steve's bloodthirstiness in this episode is deeply worrying. You have to ask questions why Oscar would let Rudy go to Austria for an award, if he suspected it was a fake, then there's Steve's reference to the "Austrian" language. come off if Steve!, and the stupidity of the fight scene, where do I begin with that one???!!! "Pierre" screaming like a Tomcat, the big lump of a lackey getting bionic sound effects, and last, but not least, Steve's sweater???!!! Get outa here! Anybody agree/disagree, and what episode(s) would YOU choose as overrated? By the way, I won't accept anybody dissing "Deadly Countdown"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TelFan7

[2]May 2, 2007
    • level: 6

jd1975 wrote:
    In hindsight, after seeing "Dr. Wells Is Missing" again recently on YouTube after a few years, I'm starting to think that it's not as good as I initially thought. For a start, the scene where Rudy gets a dose of the notorious cloth is just pure cheese, also Steve's bloodthirstiness in this episode is deeply worrying. You have to ask questions why Oscar would let Rudy go to Austria for an award, if he suspected it was a fake, then there's Steve's reference to the "Austrian" language. come off if Steve!, and the stupidity of the fight scene, where do I begin with that one???!!! "Pierre" screaming like a Tomcat, the big lump of a lackey getting bionic sound effects, and last, but not least, Steve's sweater???!!! Get outa here! Anybody agree/disagree, and what episode(s) would YOU choose as overrated? By the way, I won't accept anybody dissing "Deadly Countdown"

I see your point, but I still like that episode in-spite-of your comments. The most unrealistic thing in that episode was the fact that that "big lump of a lackey" was as strong as Steve and he wasn't bionic, nor did he have any form of radiation or drug enhancement. Everyone else who was equal or greater in strength than Steve was:

A) Bionic. Barney Miller, than Hiller from "The Seven Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Criminal".

B) Radiation. Mike Farrell's character in "The Pioneers" which also included cryonics as part of the explanation, I believe. Or...

C) Drugs. "The Most Dangerous Enemy" with the drug crazed chimps, than Dr. Rudy Wells. But in no possible way whatsoever would a normal person without the aid of bionics, some form of radiation or energy, or strength increasing drug would ever be as strong or a match for a bionic person. And the drug would need to be more potent than steroids. Not even a ninja would stand a chance against someone who is bionic!! And being bionic you would still win the fight even if you had no fighting skills whatsoever.

By-the-way, I don't have a most over-rated episode, but the absolute worst episode is "Big Brother".

Edited on 05/02/2007 12:59am
    Edited 2 total times.

lundp

[3]May 5, 2007
    • level: 2
    The later season 4 and 5 episodes in general were pretty lame due to the producers move away from international and world threat senarios and Col. Austin's military and NASA background. The space alien episode of Straight on thil Morning was outlandish as if the series needed something more spectacular and far fetched to believe in. Ah well.

jd1975

[4]May 8, 2007
    • level: 5

I definitely agree with both of you, although what I really want to discover are the episodes that most people seem to heap praise on, and maybe a few individuals don't see what the fuss is about, for example episodes that are good, even great, just not as spectacular as the general conscensus would suggest. In this case I chose "Dr Wells Is Missing", because although it is still a very good episode, I just don't think with hindsight, that it deserves to be regarded as one of the VERY best.

TelFan7

[5]May 8, 2007
    • level: 6

The best episodes are the ones from the first season which dealt with espionage and the arms-race and had the better of the two (I don't count BW) robot episodes "Day Of The Robot".

Worst to best seasons are:

But the ratio of good to bad is good always outdoes bad in each season. I think that the TV-movie pilot now titled "The Moon And The Desert" may be the best of the entire series (the late Martin Balsam was definitely the best Dr. Rudy Wells, even though he only played the part once). Most ppls favorite episode seems to be the first 60 minute episode "Population: Zero".

Avoid the corny alien episodes, especially the Bigfoot ones, stick to espionage and arms-race ones and you can't go wrong. Also the two Seven Million Dollar Man episodes are great. IMHO the last great episode (of the series) in season five was "Dark Side Of The Moon". "Deadly Countdown" also is one of the tops of the series (the late Martin Caidin plays the boat's radio operator). See my list for the best in one of the other threads.