The Six Million Dollar Man

Population: Zero

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Jan 18, 1974 on ABC

• Steve , in the series premier, invistigates a small town being threatened by a vengeful former OSI scientist.. a man who knows all about bionics.

I've been a fan since 1974. I was at some babysitter's house
    with several other kids and I remember seeing " Population: Zero " .
    That's right, my first exposure was the series premier. I remember the first scene with the cop giving me chills. He drives into a town filled with bodies. Then grabbing his ears, screaming, and dropping down to the ground, as the villain and his assistants watch from the mobile base on the hill above. Fade to black. Then the intro. Whoa! The coolest intro ever, until they added more to it. I was hooked. This looks awesome. I remember Steve talking to Oscar in the garage talking about opening up an auto shop. Oscar tells Steve of his assignment. Steve is concerned, as he knows this town, he grew up near there. ( of course this was before establishing Steve's well known hometown, so we can forgive this continuity.) I remember Steve's discovery of the townspeople alive. Our hero directly disobey's Oscar's orders (get used to it, Oscar) and gets captured by the vengeful Dr.Bacon, the greator of a horrifying weapon which uses sonics that can kill. Unfortunately, for everyone, Bacon knows all about Steve's special attributes. The goverment and the OSI turned down Bacon's current weapon in favor of funding Bionic technology . At first he is in awe that this technology actually panned out, and excited to speak to Austin about his Bionics.. until Austin tells him the cost of his re-construction. He is furious that Goldman funded such an expensive project at the cost of his less pricey weapon, and that the goverment still thinks Bacon can't kill with it. He plans to prove otherwise, and in the process kill both Steve and Oscar. " I will reduce you to a six million dollar pile of junk. " , he tells Austin. He arranges Steve's security by putting him in a sub-zero meat freezer, where his powers won't work, thereafter proceding with his mass murder scheme. It takes awhile, but Steve MacGuyver's a blow torch to get out. He manages enough power to subdue both the gaurds, and staggers away, almost unable to move. Once out of the building , he tries to run, but collapses several times. He gets back up each time, refusing to give up. As Bacon, on his hilltop perch again hooks up his equipment for the kill, Austin's persistance and the hot, burning sun start to work their magic, thawing out those nuclear power units. As he powers back up, the heartbeat sound affect ( they had yet to add the familliar Bionic TM effect), gets louder and louder. I'm sorry, I thought that heartbeat was so cool. He runs faster, and faster. As Bacon triggers the weapon, Oscar and the townsfolk, along with the national guard, drop to their knees in agony. Austin spots the mobile base, grabs a giant steel fence pillar, rips it from the ground.. concrete base and all, and takes off for Bacon's camp. He is spotted coming up fast, and Bacon turns the weapon on Steve. Still charging forward, Austin grabs his left ear, in obvious agony, but will not stop. Bacon orders full power, and Steve almost collapses from the sonic waves, but no. With one last burst of strength, he hurls the pole like a deadly javelin at the mobile base, then collapses from the pain. The airborne weapon strikes and then ... boom!
    What a great ending. There are better episodes, But for it's
    nostalgic value alone, that's probably my favorite. And as a kid of 8 years, it was the coolest thing I've ever seen, and a great intro to the character and the show.