The Snorks Forums

NBC (ended 1989)

What do you like better The Snorks or The Smurfs

Kingcool7789

[1]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 39

I think they are both good show's but I like The Snorks better what do you guys like better?

Edited on 07/30/2007 12:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Venom53

[2]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 11
    i like the snorks much much much better

Kingcool7789

[3]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 39
    Venom53 wrote:
    i like the snorks much much much better
    I still think the Smurfs are a good show but The Snorks are better!

wwfpooh

[4]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 20
    Well, considering one was more fair in its distribution (whereas its counterpart had primarily males, save one lone female), that basically tells me which one to vote for!

80stvfan

[5]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 7

Yeah, I would have to say that for me, it is the snorks over the smurfs. The smurfs were a very sexist group of organisms. I mean come on Smurfette was the only lady smurf, that would have to make all the other smurfs her children. I like the Snorks better because I've always been fascinated with the ocean and its creatures.

yeah_i_short

[6]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 6
    the snorks were way cool there were more different kinds of snorks there were only a small group of smurf and they all listened to papa smurf like a little blue cult and what was with only one girl.

SabrinaVivi

[7]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    the snorks because I don't really like the smurfs

Evolution_666

[8]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 14
    The Smurfs.

fweepers

[9]Jul 11, 2011
    • level: 4

Evolution_666 wrote:
    The Smurfs.

Hey!

BlackTulip009

[10]Jun 22, 2012
    • level: 12

Honestly, I like both; it's tough to say. I'm not sure why The Snorks never became anywhere near as well-known and commonplace as The Smurfs. I would think that the two series wouldn't need to be rivals; if you like one, I imagine that you should probably at least somewhat enjoy the other, if you give it half a chance. They're undoubtedly very similar, but still quite different enough to each offer things that the other doesn't. I've always been a fan of stories set underwater, and as unrealistic as this show is, I find the occasional semi-realistic sea animal and the clever usage of others (octopuppies, parrotfishes that squawk and talk, clocks with octopus tentacles for hands--imagine that poor octopus's job, standing there ticking away the minutes all day!--Seabiscuit the sea-racehorse, and so on), quite amusing. It's Flintstones-esque in that respect.

Of course, other such gags are slightly disturbing, such as the tiny swordfish who serve as arrows (weapons), or the "fishlight" (a Snork flashlight.) A poor fish whose eyes can be illuminated by depressing his dorsal fin like a switch is required to simply lie around constantly, waiting for someone else to use him? Isn't that slavery? Unless s/he gets paid, but must agree to be used as a flashlight whenever his/her "employer" needs the service. XD I'm thinking of it that way. Although, I admit that I really do tend to over-analyze everything.

I guess there was really only room for one such cheesy, silly kind of cartoon to become a widely-watched classic...and trying to follow up the Smurfs after all that time with what at first glance may appear to be an obvious ripoff didn't play out terribly well. Still, I think both series are cute (just about as cute as they were intended to be), and worthy of their spots in the Boomerang lineup and family of classic cartoons.

Edited on 07/09/2012 1:08pm
    Edited 4 total times.