The Sopranos

Chasing It

Aired Unknown Apr 29, 2007 on HBO

• Another good episode of the season.

There was nothing realy special about this episode, nothing important realy hapened, Tony just helped out Vitos son, but realy what´s wrong with the son? he paints himself in the face, he... well... in the shower. I mean, his father would realy hate to see him like that. There where of cource good writing and acting as allways. Sopranos may be one of the best Shows ever, but if all episodes where like this... it would still be great, but not at all as good as The Sopranos realy is. It´s a overall good episode, but nothing specil, so my rating is 8,3.
  • If you are looking for an action-packed whackfest, look elsewhere-you're not going to get that with this episode. If, however, you can appreciate tight plotting, crackling characterizations, and meticulously crafted dramatic tension, this is a must-see.

I must confess, I was initially somewhat disappointed with this episode, as I have been with a couple of the other installments in Season 6B. The problem- my expectations. Given that there are only 9 precious episode in this final half of the final season of The Sopranos, I had high hopes for the action ante to be upped in a madly paced dash to the finale, by which time all dangling plot points would resolve themselves, coming together with a satisfying click. One tiny problem - that has never been the way this series operates.

So, this episode characteristically continues to focus on the things that The Sopranos has done with excellence for so many years: brilliant writing, loaded with symbolism, and powerful acting by an ensemble cast at the height of its powers. The episode documents several events, which, while not seemingly crucial to the overall story arc of the series, are definitely in keeping with David Chase’s well-known M.O. of telling a story his way, viewer expectations be damned. We witness Tony on a losing gambling streak, which confuses and frustrates him (at one point, he confides to Carmela that he figures he is “up” as far as cosmic karma goes, since he survived what should have been a fatal gunshot wound). So why isn’t he winning? Meanwhile, Tony’s relationship with Carm is strained by a vicious argument, and Dr.Melfi even confronts him for missing appointments. T’s relationship problems continue, as Hesh ill advisedly drops a hint about Tony paying him back the $200,000 bridge loan. Tony’s reaction is to make Hesh the butt of anti-Semitic jokes and to puckishly shove the vig (interest) on the loan in Hesh’s face, even though Hesh had specified that it was an interest-free loan. Hesh’s swan song ends on a heartbreaking note.

Vito Jr. is having his own problems dealing with the embarrassment of his father’s death and notoriety, so he gets down in the dumps (literally) in one never-to-be-forgotten shower scene. Tony and Phil each try separately to provide some surrogate fatherly advice to the kid, only to trip over their own interpersonal ineptitude. Phil, by the way, is officially made head of the New York Family, and is serenaded by none other than Nancy Sinatra, to whom the years have been less than kind. Tony eventually decides to have Vito Jr. sent to a boot camp-like program, where he will hopefully get his sh*t together (sorry, couldn’t resist).

Speaking of little t*rds, AJ proposes to Bianca, who nervously accepts, only to change her mind and abruptly dump (there’s that word again) AJ entirely. He sinks into a deep depression (and I’m not talking about rolling over onto Tony’s side of the bed, either).

As the episode ended, I remember feeling a distinct sense of dread. There was no one particular scene I could associate it with, just the whole of the work really left me with the feeling that something bad is about to happen in this fictional world, to one or more of these fictional characters who I have come to know as well and love as much as many real people in my life- and even more than some other real people I know. Now THAT is brilliance!
  • •Tony the losing gambler. •Carmela sells her Spec House, •Phil, a new Don, a new day. •Hesh has a bad episode. •FBI concerned over the Arab gentlemen who used to frequent the Bing. •Vito’s son’s dark turn. •One very unne

Well, what is there to say this week about our favorite Roman descendants other then “eh, it was ok”? No action to be found this week, and very little interaction between New Jersey & New York. For starters Carmela finally sells her spec house to none other then her cousin Brian, the investment adviser, and his wife. Needless too say Carm’s feeling pretty good about herself, and other then her obsessive fears about the corner cutting her Dad did building the house she’s on a high note, but more on that later. Phil has a nice little party in New York, you know one of those it’s good to be the king kind of party’s, and who else would be there to serenade the new Don none other than Nancy Sinatra because what would a mob show be without a Sinatra or a Sinatra reference in it. Like many fans I sit around wait for the action to begin, and unfortunately this week like one too many others before it of late was quite disappointed in this regard. The only action we got to see was Tony gambling, more gambling, losing, more losing, and losing big! The one thing that is always been made clear in this series is how Tony regards gamblers, I mean hey great for business, but as a lifestyle Tony regards those who don’t know when too stop as degenerates. The very thing that Tony loathes is exactly what he mirrored this episode by constantly “chasing it”. Remember back in “Season 2” the when Tony’s friend Davie had gotten in deep debt with Tony which eventually lead to a “Bust Out”, resulting in the loss of his business, his family, his friends, and Davie ended up moving out to Las Vegas in the end. So, it was surprising to watch him dig this hole deeper, and deeper into debt which resulted in him owing his friend Hesh $200,000 when all was said and done. Of course this made things awkward between him and Hesh when Tony didn’t pay him back as quickly as Hesh expected, and Tony coming over to visit him made for an awkward situation when Hesh confided to Tony that he thought Tony had come to pay him his money. After this Tony seen to be offended at Hesh because he felt uncomfortable with Hesh’s remark over the money which was odd because anytime Tony or his guys are owed money they’re ready to break the person’s knees if they don’t repay them in time. Hesh, unwilling to take the vig from Tony for obvious reasons, but Tony insisted that he take it. Hesh seemed concerned over Tony’s comments toward him that were obviously deliberately rude, and distasteful. Then when Tony showed up at his house with two of his guys to take him to a boat show Hesh deliberately avoided going with them because he was worried considering Tony’s remarks, and attitude. Tony oblivious to Hesh’s fears just wanted to take him to a boat show. It was funny the scene after with Tony and his guys driving away, and Tony complaining how he went out of his way to drive there so that Hesh could to go with him, but can you blame Hesh for worrying with Tony still owing him $200,000? Nonetheless Tony’s gambling was the sore spot of this episode, and how it affected those close to him. Tony going so far as to try and get Carmela to take the money earned from the sale of her spec house to bet on a game which resulted in a huge argument between her and him. Needless to say we could hypothesize why Tony did what he did with gambling, maybe you could say that he was looking for big pay off, or looking for adventure, or temporary insanity, but more than likely Tony was just doing it to do it. His life is about risk, and insulating himself makes him feel out of the game in many respects, so maybe it’s just that edge and the willingness to step right up to it win or lose does he still have it? Is Tony still wanting too stay in the game no matter what the cost, or is it coming clearer that Tony isn’t willing too lose it all? The fact that Tony was willing to attempt to sway his wife into gambling and risking the money she earned certainly isn’t something off the radar of Tony’s scruples, but Carmela wasn’t sharing in Tony’s reckless behavior. She may’ve turned a blind eye in the past yet she has seen one to many times what happens to the women of high profile mob figures when the husband is gone. Carmela’s faith in Tony’s reassurances that she’ll be taken care of in the event Tony is killed, or imprisoned, died off quite some time ago. Tony’s tirade after she refused to take part in the bet certainly reaffirmed too herself that she was doing the right thing, and that she needs to continue to have verifiable assurances that she would be ok in the event of Tony’s demise, whether it be jail or death. Tony’s theory of being way up having survived a gun shot wound is laughable, childish, and further shows the reckless behavior that can be pursued in this type of thinking. What is Tony really chasing more than likely it’s his life in the mob, but Tony’s unwilling too ask himself this question directly so he pushes himself in other ways to test his limits and desire. As for Vito’s son it’s a tragedy but not unexpected with having lost his father who was subsequently humiliated in the process. Sad really because the man responsible for his death is only willing too help as far as buying ice cream, and given the good old time to man up speech, thanks Phil. Tony’s speech wasn’t much better it pretty much along the same lines as Phil’s. Pathetic that Tony so caught up in Tony couldn’t help Vito’s wife like he said he would, and would come up with a cheaper alternative after losing the $100,000 he was supposed to give her to move. As for the shower scene I have know clue who thought that would make for good storytelling, but it didn’t. It was idiotic, and a pathetic poor choice for a scene that was totally unnecessary.
    So we march towards that inevitable “finale”, and with curiosity we endure the mundane in hope that in the end it all ties together thus making it worth the wait. Take care.

Peace To All.
  • Did I miss something?

This was a very strange episode for me, I did like part of it but hate the other part.
    This episode tells two stories:
    1.Tony starts gambling and get really obsessive about it.
    2.Vito's kid is all massed up.
    I really liked seeing how does Tony the gambler look and act, It was great acting and you could really feel his disappointment and anger after losing.
    The part about Vito's kid is a different story. I don't like this kid, I don't know this kid and basically this kid does not interest me at all. I could not find any reason to tell his story. I have been watching Sopranos from day one and this is the first time I felt like this after an episode. This is more like "LOST" that Sopranos.
  • This is one of the better episodes of the season so far. The decline of Tony Soprano isn't the decline of the show, he's supposed to be an anti-hero not a hero.

I fear alot of people have become so enamoured with Tony's winning streak that they can't face an episode in which he is forced to face his debts.

This episode seemed to be about debts. Tony's so far in the hole he just keeps digging himself in further. This is symbolic of his decline and that of his 'family', things aren't rosy. He's gambled his life away on the pursuit of money and the high of winning with his criminal lifestyle. I think this episode is a great metaphor for the series. Tony keeps putting his chips on the table and when he wins he takes those winnings and gambles even bigger. Like his criminality his gambling is addictive and consumes him driving him to greater acts of desperation when he loses. As in the show as a whole Tony can't win by continuing down the path he's on, he has to cut his losses if he is to survive.

The thing is Tony hasn't really learnt this lesson even though he gives Hesh the money at the end demonstrating that he still has some idea of restraint. Tony's downward spiral is inevitable because like Vito Jnr. he is unable to deal with his problems or face his problems. Tony is trapped like Vito jnr., his father died as well and he was expected to take care of the family which forced him follow the path of his father. Tony's problems stem from being trapped into a life of crime where the only rule is survival and the only joy is winning a little more than you gambled and being able to make it back to the table for another round.

And just like Vito Jnr. Tony will eventually be dragged away to a 'special camp'(prison) for all his misdeeds.
  • What's with the negativity?

From the end of the season 6 part 1 finale I just knew the ending of the sopranos will feel rushed and I felt like season 6 part 1 would take on the role of the show of wrapping things up but there are still some things missing. True it didn't seem like this episode had any clues to how the show will end. However there are couple things to consider. Now that is seems that AJ won't be getting married this could lead to some destructive behavior which could bring on a new turn of events. Any more gambling problems Tony will probably be forced to deal with could bring upon some things in the future. There was a lot of great stuff here though, come on guys. It was great to see what has been happening with Vito's kids and his wife, I had nearly forgotten about that. AJ proposing to who he thought would be his wife was pivotal and i think will have a lasting effect on some things. This was a great episode with a lot of drama and was really heartfelt. You guys want a finale that's being built up 5, 6 episodes before the last one, well they're already being built up i think, just with small clues being given already.
  • For only a few episodes left, this one was boring.

I'm not sure if the writers are trying to build up to a exciting climax of this show, but this episode was boring. I found that AJ's girlfriend (I don't even know who she was and where she came from, maybe it was so long between seasons to remember if she was in the last one), but that story meant nothing (of course unless they are building up to something), and Tony's gambling was kind of sad to see, it looks like hes's heading down the crapper very fast, making more enemies and more debts. I know he's not a law abiding kind of guy, but I also don't want to see him low down and in the gutters at the end of this show.
  • Tony decides to do house cleaning with Vito Jr. but at the same time Tony can't even clean up his own act.

6.1
    I'am not surprised by the mix bag of reviews. This season has been average at best. If they're trying to end the series on a bang they're not doing a great job at it. That's it. No crying involved. Loyal fans are trying to say otherwise but it's clear that the writers of the show aren't show enough respect (pun intended to the fans) by delivering what they want (which is to eliminate these characters once and for all.)

Well this episode wasn't awful but did it lead to anything? No. Nobody got whacked either if you ignore the death of Hesch's girlfriend.

We've seen Tony out of control before so this is no different. We've also seen Tony and Carmela fight before so this was no different either.

There was an exchange of words with Phil and Tony about what to do about Vito Jr. but nothing came out of ir.

The only thing that happened here is that Anthony got dumped but that clearly is small potatoes compared to what people are expecting.

Well the previews for the next episode point to Christopher and Paulie clashing again. However, for this episode write it off as filler stuff.
  • Straight down the tubes

I loved the spot where the kid took a dump in the shower. That's high class TV entertainment for you right there. The entire new series seams to be on that same crappy level. The writers don't seam to have anything worthwhile to contribute this time, but that hasn't stopped them from pawning off this waste of time on the HBO network. This series has out-lived itsself. Please someone: put out a contract on these scripts and put 'em six feet under where they belong. I'll try too remember this series for how it once was, brilliant and exciting.
  • Chasing it, must refer to a good script and/or episode. This manure is what we waited over a year for. I guess the creators are too busy counting their money than putting out a watchable product.

OK, a few good one liners, but this show is not anywhere near what it should be. People are getting paid stupid money to do this show, and we are even stupider to pay for HBO for such poor quality entertainment.
    I thought the subpar start of the season was just too much anticipation, but no longer. These are inferior scripts which will leave a legacy of a good show just dying on the vine.
    This show is already dead but the network is too proud to admit it. What do we have to look forward to next week, Vito Jr learning the Brokeback Mountain lifestyle out west.
    Come on give us something in these last few episodes, so far you have done a Vito Jr on us in the shower.
  • Uhhhhh... now what?

What does Vito Jr have to do with the show? Seriously, adding a character this late in the series is beyond me. None of the viewers care about this kid dressing up like a freak and dropping a load in the locker room shower. Otherwise, Tony's gambling was pretty well done. Trying to bet Carm's money from the spec house was classic. But now what? We'll have to wait and see.
  • Tony's gambling spirals out of control; Vito Jr is acting (to say the least) A.J. propses and is promptly dumped

These episodes are crafted so well a lot of people think nothing is happening. The Vito Jr. scenes may seem like filler,but they they really point out how once you're in the "family", you're in for life. Even Vito's widow knows this as she thanks Tony for taking care of her son even though he's being sent to a brutal camp for out of control kids. And watching A.J.s relationship points out how much different he is from his father and what ridiculously high expectations there are of the son of a Don. Tony's seesion with Melfi always shows something else in the Tony character. and this relationship is the cornerstone of the show (along with Carmela). The shows are moving along nicely to the June 10th finale.
  • This show has all the potential to be great - but it's absolutely painful to watch. Unfortunately, I think the show has jumped the shark. I think we're obligated to watch to see what happens, in the end, who cares??

4.2
    With a bunch of "who cares" story lines, the writers introduce more...

- The dead gay gangter's kid is a nut job. After Tony and others try and straighten him out, the kid poops in the shower and gets expelled.. Nice...

- Semi-interesting side story about Tony's gambling problem. Will he or will he not kill the Jewish guy who is loaning him money. Or do you care??

- Carmella sells her house -- woo hoo! Then Tony wants to use the money to pay for his gambling debts

Please just no more b.s with the crazy old guy in the old age home?

I wish the show was more "Goodfellas" and less "Oprah Channelish" . I realize it's supposed to show the "personal" side of being a gangster, but the story lines are just so "who cares"...
  • It seems to be following the same structure as all episodes of season 6A and B. But still isnt as bad as most seem to be crying about.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, and It has become clear what the writers intentions are so far.

One after the other Tony keeps on making enemies, since the beginning of this season. Every episode (after you pick through the side stories ie Vito JR. ) deals with one more person having reason to hate/despise/ fear Tony. I did not like the way Tony was depicted in this episode as it made him look weak. But then again, we finally were show Tony back to him old self - Fight with Carm, mockery of Hesh, finding joy in other peoples misery - Anyways the best part about the episode was how I could connect it to an episode of an oh so great season 3. - Fortunate Son - Tony's gambling getting him into trouble. Gambling ring any bells? "Thats why you, Never Gamble Anthony... You should never gamble."

"A man honors his debts" - Johnny Boy Soprano to young Tony Soprano

Im not saying it was meant to have any connection or point to this past episode ( I really don't know), I just thought it was ironic. ps. I just noticed the Sopranos got a new fridge.
  • Amazingly Lame!

Whoever thought Vito Jr. would make a compelling character study for half of the show should be shot! And, did we really need to see his turd in the shower? If somebody told us he did it, I would have believed them.

Also, why so much focus on A.J. and his girlfriend? They are boring together, and their scenes go nowhere. Meadow is a much more interesting character. Can't they give her something to do?

Tony's gambling problem and his fights with Carmine were interesting, but not enough to carry the whole episode. After a while, that was getting monotonous.

I hope I'm wrong, but this show looks like it will be going out with a dull thud instead of a bang.
  • Where is this all going?

7.2
    We are in the 4th episode of the final 9 of The Sopranos and I don’t know where we are going. They have continued the schizophrenic storylines that don’t carry from one episode to another. Characters appear (ie: Uncle Junior last week) and then they are just gone. Every episode in season 6b has had a major storyline that takes place, but never carries on:
    Episode 1 – Season 6b – Tony & Bobby fight
    Episode 2 – Season 6b – Cleaver premiere; Johnny Sack dies
    Episode 3 – Season 6b – Tony & Paulie have to “Lam It” in Florida
    Episode 4 – Season 6b – Tony’s gambling problem

None of these storylines flow together at all, and also don’t really feel like we are building towards anything. The acting and the writing in these episodes have been superb. But that has been the theme since around season 4. David Chase seems set out to make each one hour episode it’s own separate “movie”. It seems like I’ve been writing these kind of reviews every few episodes for The Sopranos lately. I sure HOPE they can find that greatness they had back in the early days and reward all of us fans that have stuck by this show for a long time.
  • What happened to this show. It is a mess right now. I really don't care about any of these storylines.

This was such a snoozefest of an episode. The pacing of the show is out of wack too. All of a sudden Tony is like bankrupt and a gambling addict. It doesn't seem to make sense. Vito's family, who cares, especially boring, because it is extending a storyline that was boring and badly done to begin with. Carmella's house, boring. AJ and his girlfriend , not as boring, but still not what this show needs right now. I don't know what to make of AJ's girl, was she in it for the money? Did she pull out when she realized the sopranos were not as rich as she thought they were. This show needs to pick it up soon. I can't believe some of the high scores I'm seeing on here. Compare this to some of the episodes in the early seasons and you will see why I only gave this a 6.
  • Carmella sells her project house. Tony goes on a gambling binge. AJ proposes to his girlfriend. Phil takes control.

Ok, seems they have heard our cries...a little. This is the "kind" of Sopranos that we love...lots of time at the Bing, and different people maneuvering their positions. As far as Tony's gambling, it's a little conflicting to the series. We never have seen Tony gamble this much ever, he always ran the poker rooms. Furthermore, Tony has gotten on a soap box to people about gambling, so what gives....another red hering? So some filler in this episode dealing with Vito's kid, turned goth and getting in trouble. Tony is asked for 100K, but comes up with sending the kid to a camp, so what's that all about? FILLER. But the way they had Tony acting, I thought he might have the two whacked just to save money. No more filler guys, there is only 5 episodes left to get with it, unless the catch is that the series continues. Cuz the way they are writing these final episodes, it feels that way.
  • Tony seemed like his old self.

Although I liked it, seemed more like a pre-Season 5 episode, personally I don't think it fit very well with what we've seen of 6.1 and the first three this year. What the hell was up with the shaky-cam all of a sudden? Why did Tony act so differently compared to the last 12 episodes? A gambling addiction?? In Season One he gave some guy, can't remember who, major crap for gambling and putting money on the Dolphins, now we learn he's got the itch as well? And enough with the inconsequential side-characters already. Last week we waste valuable screentime on some asian kid with daddy issues for some reason, here a little too much time was devoted to Vito Jr. I also hated that they got two completely new actors to play him and his sister, 6.1 was only a year ago. Other than that, I really liked the episode. It definitely felt a little more like the show used to and the acting from Gandolfini and Falco was terrific. And yes, imo Tony definitely killed Hesch's girl at the end, either directly or indirectly. Seemed out of character for Tony at this point but whatever. The whole thing felt off but I liked it.
  • Are they saying Tony is going broke?...

This was a weird episode...The way Tim Van Patten directed it, is a bit different than other Soprano episodes...I'm not saying it's bad...It's just a little different. Another thing I really didn't with the episode is, are they saying that Tony is going broke?...That's one thing they really didn't shine a lot of light on, and I think the went overboard by showing him betting all this money on football games, cards, and horse races...He was spending so much money it would make Donald Trump blush...I don't know if it's a red herring that they're out there or if it's something that could turn out to be the undoing of the Soprano family...I still think something big will happen between Tony and Phil...At least I hope so...Anything to get Frank Vincent more screen time...