The Sopranos Forums

HBO (ended 2007)

Did Ralph really kill Pie-O-My?

Did Ralph really kill the Horse?

Fitzycent

[1]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 16

I watched it the other day and I think they wrote it so that it would appear Ralph didn't kill the horse. What do you all think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

samarajunk

[2]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 9
    I think he did, he was a bit cruel in mind

Fitzycent

[3]Aug 17, 2008
    Just watching it again, It seems as if he didn't do it

No_where

[4]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    I always liked to think that he didn't do it, because it made his resultant beating and strangulation more ironic. That he get killed for something he actually didn't do, despite all of the other crap he did do (i.e. killing Tracee, Ginny Sacrimoni joke).

jmac4ever

[5]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 5
    That wasn't really the point. I think that's why we weren't really meant to know whether he did or not, because that's not really why Tony killed him. That was Tony's excuse. I think the real, subconscience reason Tony killed him was because of the stripper Ralph killed over a year before. Tony didn't realize that and maybe never will, but that was Tony's whole deal. He had to focus his emotions on animals because if he actually focused his feelings on people, he would've lost control on a daily basis.

1govnor1

[6]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 2
    jmac4ever wrote:
    That wasn't really the point. I think that's why we weren't really meant to know whether he did or not, because that's not really why Tony killed him. That was Tony's excuse. I think the real, subconscience reason Tony killed him was because of the stripper Ralph killed over a year before. Tony didn't realize that and maybe never will, but that was Tony's whole deal. He had to focus his emotions on animals because if he actually focused his feelings on people, he would've lost control on a daily basis.

I tend to agree; Ralph gave Tony a lot of headachs (fat joke, killing the stipper, dating Janice, not keeping Jackie Jr on a tight leash). Pie just made it convenient for Tony to off Ralph.

Fitzycent

[7]Sep 4, 2008
    I never thought he did, it was ironic that he got killed over a horse

netgoddess

[8]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 10

My memory is fading on this but I really thought he was the one who decided to set fire on the stable in order to collect insurance money.

But I think the incident was the straw that broke the camel's back rather than the root cause of Tony's execution motive.

NotAmerican

[9]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 8
    netgoddess wrote:

My memory is fading on this but I really thought he was the one who decided to set fire on the stable in order to collect insurance money.

But I think the incident was the straw that broke the camel's back rather than the root cause of Tony's execution motive.

Having received the "super-ultra-all-inclusive" Sopranos DVD set as a gift recently, I'm watching all the episodes again. I just recently saw the episode where Ralph got killed, and right before Tony "attacks" Ralph I seem to remember there being a conversation that confirmed it. Tony: "So it was just a coincidence that the horse died RIGHT after you take out a [whatever amount it was] insurance policy on her?" Ralph: "It was just a fkking horse!!"... and then there's some brief conversation with Tony saying that they were making money off of the horse, and Ralph replying that every race was taking more and more out of her.

So in my opinion it was 100% confirmed that Ralph killed "Pie-O-My", but, as previous posters said, Tony hated Ralph's guts anyways, and it was only because of the fact that Ralph was a "top earner" that Tony kept him around. However, Tony loved that horse probably more than his own children (certainly more than his wife, friends, or biological family), and with Tony's history of extreme rage resulting in violence, I don't think it had to be Ralph - ANYBODY who did that to Pie-O-My probably would have received a beating, probably fatal.

JMHO.

-ak

Cosa_Nostra_XD

[10]Oct 28, 2012
    • level: 1

i definitely think Ralphie killed pie , because he didn't give a shit about it and took out the insurance claim and torched the stable