The Sopranos Forums

HBO (ended 2007)

It's Official: Tony's Fate Revealed (MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER!!!!!)

spicciotti

[1]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 15

In a recent interview, David Chase hasput the fate of Tony Soprano into perspective thus revealing his fate: He's dead.

The video highlight is on MSN.com entitled "Sopranos Creator Chase reveals Tony's fate"

He says in the interview that he didn't mean for so many fans to be pissed off for upwards of four straight months now. The ending wasn't meant to leave any doors unopened.

He made a reference to Jerry Toricano, who was killed by Doc Santoro's men in "Stage 5". Silvio was with him when he was shot and he had not even heard the shot until Jerry was down on the floor and his brain matter was all over Sil's jacket. Chase implied from thisthat some things are already going on before you even notice them. THIS was meant to be the reference of the final scene, not people in the restaurant who wanted Tony dead or the Sollozzo-McCluskey killings in "The Godfather: Part I"

Chase also made references to little details, such as Carmela and Tony's failing marriage, the possibility of Meadow and AJ following in their footsteps, and why he didn't want to show his death, rather cutting to black.

Chase said that he thought the way that fans were cheering Tony on for eight years and suddenly want justice by 'seeing his brains splattered on the wall' was disgusting, but the viewers had always wanted blood. So that explains the screen cutting to black.

RIP

Anthony Soprano

April 8th, 1960 - June 10, 2007

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AG19

[2]Oct 21, 2007
    • level: 9
    So he literally said "Tony is dead"? Because that whole "You never hear it coming thing" is ridiculous given that the person who actually said it heard and saw his end coming.

Don_Moltisanti

[3]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 12

He did not state Tony was dead. WHo killed him, there is no logical explanation as to who killed him. He is the boss of a family you cant just kill him like that. Before any one says Phil, His crew gave him up and Tony was a boss. They wanted to make peace so they could get back to making money. SO who would order the hit?

If you can explain that then , maybe i will believe.

Seriously though, why are people so pissed with the ending. Would it have been so much better if for the last 2 secs we saw a gun and his head on the table, would that really have made the ending so much better?

Personnaly i like to believe that Tony is still alive, there are prop others out there who like to believe that he did get killed. It was left up to us to decide, if he kills him it leaves no room for a movie or something, which personaly i would like to see. I have heard all the crap from people who have said bad things about a movie but come on, if there was a movie not one of you would not want to see it. MAybe 5 years down the road when you read somewhere that there will be a movie showing what happened after the days events you all would not love it, come on. Seeing what happened to Tony, the snitch, Sil. All of that.

Also are we all really so void of imagination that we cant even make up the last 2 SECONDS by ourselfs?

Vyce3

[4]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 14
    His crew maybe, his true ''family'' not sure... Looks like a vendetta

Vyce3

[5]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 14
    I can't find the vid, provide a link please

friendserking

[6]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 13
    That guy is totaly wrongthey did not kill him. There was a thing in the paper like two days ago Chase came out and said people made to much of the end gave a brief description of what really happened but pretty much said no Tony did not get killed. I dont remember it perfectly but he might of accually said exactly that Tony did not die. He said no other hidden secrets or clues from other episodes existed at all and people just made to much of it.
    Edited on 10/31/2007 6:21pm
    Edited 2 total times.

spicciotti

[8]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 15

friendserking wrote:
    That guy is totaly wrong. They did not kill him. There was a thing in the paper like two days ago Chase came out and said people made to much of the end gave a brief description of what really happened but pretty much said no Tony did not get killed. I dont remember it perfectly but he might of accually said exactly that Tony did not die. He said no other hidden secrets or clues from other episodes existed at all and people just made to much of it.

I just read the whole story and I realize that I was wrong. By comparing it to the killing of Jerry Toricano, I had thought that he was trying to imply that it had happened. Now Chase is saying that he was alive and that there was nothing at all to go on in the scene. He's such a jerk, getting us all worked up on all this. I mean did it go through his head that we would take the screen going black at face value? Did it ever cross his mind that 8 episodes before Bacala implied that when death comes you don't hear it and you never know what hit you, (which by the way is true if you're shot inthe "killzone," the head or heart and surrounding areas, because a bullet travels faster than sound) anyway back to what I was saying, did it ever cross Chase's mind that eight episodes before Bacala said that? I apologize if I seem harsh in this, but doesn't anybody else think that if Tony had survived, isn't it at least decent to leave the audio on when it went black or possibly even still play the music in the credits and provide us with the least bit of closure?

Kusonaga

[9]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    Of course he knew. That was the point.

GoIrish80

[10]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 1
    There's not one thing in the world, not even David Chase saying it himself, that will convince me he wasn't killed in that final scene. It was written, shot, and executed in a TOTAL way to make it seem as if he was shot and killed in the restaurant. It's the end of the series. And if David Chase didn't realize that when he wrote/shot it that way, then he's an idiot. And we all know he's not an idiot.

The only reason people are justifying in their mind that he "lived" through that scene is because everyone seems to think there is going to be a Soprano's movie eventually. And if that DOES ever happen, Chase has an easy way out of that final scene where he can just say "well, you never SAW it happen." And I will also say that if there ever is a Soprano's movie, I for one will not go anywhere near it IF the movie shows that Tony lived. (and I CANNOT imagine a movie without Tony) I liked the show, yes. But there's no way in hell I'd give my money to a feeble attempt like that to bring people back in and make a quick couple hundred million bucks. They wouldn't need my money, and I sure as hell wouldn't give it to them.

Tear that response apart all you want, but I'm sorry. There's just no way I can come away from that ending with any other inference that Tony was shot and killed. ESPECIALLY when Chase himself says that everything you need is all there on the screen.

Fitzycent

[11]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 16
    [QUOTE="spicciotti"]

Chase said that he thought the way that fans were cheering Tony on for eight years and suddenly want justice by 'seeing his brains splattered on the wall' was disgusting, but the viewers had always wanted blood. So that explains the screen cutting to black.

DonGianniGotti

[12]Dec 29, 2007
    I highly doubt Tony is dead.
    The "shady" guy, in the last scene, was at Christopher Moltisanti's wake (Season 6, Episode 18 [26:30]) & also gave Tony a nod while in the funeral home.
    Here's a snap shot comparison of the "shady" guy in episode 18 & episode 21: http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cc09b3127cceb320d56d47fc00000026100AZNHDVy0cOWNg

wndrwl

[13]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 3
    here is what i think happened in regards to the final epsiode. tony is alive. i know people have said he is dead by referring back to what bobby and he talked about, about being killed and whats its like. i have another spin on it. if you recall back to the very 1st epsiode and when we meet tony. it starts out black and silent then we see tony's face in the shrinks office.......now at the last epsiode we see tony then it goes black and silent, its just like the 1st epsiode but the order is a little different.

peekone

[14]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 45
    DonGianniGotti wrote:
    I highly doubt Tony is dead.
    The "shady" guy, in the last scene, was at Christopher Moltisanti's wake (Season 6, Episode 18 [26:30]) & also gave Tony a nod while in the funeral home.
    Here's a snap shot comparison of the "shady" guy in episode 18 & episode 21: http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cc09b3127cceb320d56d47fc00000026100AZNHDVy0cOWNg

lol, that is the Baldwin brother who starred in Cleaver at Chris' wake. They're not the same person.

jessie_chan

[15]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 5

He was just lying the hospital almost half dead in the beginning of season 6, if he survived that without any brain or physical damage, he can survive every thing.

Plz watch my sopranos' little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kl8pcSACrA

robman46

[16]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 10
    I just watch all the sopranoes all the way through (first viewing), and honstly i would have had no idea he gets shot apart everyone internet saying he did. Where in the episode (apart from the person going to bathroom), did it give any clue he gets shot?

bsanaee

[17]May 9, 2008

robman46 wrote:
    I just watch all the sopranoes all the way through (first viewing), and honstly i would have had no idea he gets shot apart everyone internet saying he did. Where in the episode (apart from the person going to bathroom), did it give any clue he gets shot?

Yeah, I agree. I've been watching the Sopranos for the first time via Netflix and saw the final episode today. I'd long heard how Tony gets clipped in the end, but I don't really see the basis for it.

If they were going to finish the series with a non-ending like this, they should've done it with The Blue Comet. Tony's in hiding at that ratty house, falls asleep on that bare matress clutching a gun, fade to black, that's a wrap, nice work everybody, see you in the funny papers. Leave the entire NY-NJ, Phil-Tony thing unresolved.

cryptoplex

[18]Jun 1, 2008

Here's a detailed analysis of the final episode:

http://www.mikecole.org/writing/made-in-america/

I don't have sufficient privledges to create a link. Perhaps somebody else would be willing to do it. Thanks...

Edited on 06/01/2008 8:21pm

Smokeahontis

[19]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 3

Previously, I too thought that Tony got killed. This was based on an epsiode before last, and a conversation that he had with Bobby about death to which he said something to the extent of "everything probably just goes blank".

I had time to think about it...and what I feel now is... NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED.

We are all watching the finale, right, waiting for something major to take place. The screen goes black...and at first I really thought it was my cable that happened to **** up at the most inopportune time, lol. Then all we see are credits rolling.

We didnt see anything, and true anything could have happened, but know one knows.

Thats just how I see it now.

*shrugs*

Widget_

[20]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 4

GoIrish80 wrote:
    And if David Chase didn't realize that when he wrote/shot it that way, then he's an idiot. And we all know he's not an idiot.

OF COURSE he knew it. he was playing with the emotions of people like you. Naturally he wanted you to expect Tony being killed because he knew that was what you wanted.

GoIrish80 wrote:
    The only reason people are justifying in their mind that he "lived" through that scene is because everyone seems to think there is going to be a Soprano's movie eventually.

Well, I knew themeaning of the ending while looking at the black screen for the first time, even posting about it here long before this newspaper article existed. The only reason people want Tony to bekilled is because that is how your simple mind works.

GoIrish80 wrote:
    There's just no way I can come away from that ending with any other inference that Tony was shot and killed. ESPECIALLY when Chase himself says that everything you need is all there on the screen.

One thing leading to thinking that he wasnt killed could be the creator of the show saying he wasnt. But I guess you know better... :-)

The Sopranos was not about Tony doing bad things and getting killed for it in the end.

cryptoplex wrote:

Here's a detailed analysis of the final episode:

http://www.mikecole.org/writing/made-in-america/

I don't have sufficient privledges to create a link. Perhaps somebody else would be willing to do it. Thanks...

THIS was what he meant with it is all there on the screen. He was saying: There is no overanalyzing needed, everything that you need to know you can see while watching the episode without letting some geek overanalyze the whole thing. You dont need to see Tony getting whacked because this was not at all what the show was about. Would he most likely find a violent death at some point? Ye. But killing him in the final scene of the final episode of this show wouldnt put an end to it, in fact it would be an incredibly boring, formulaic and simple solution to the bloodlust of the viewers. This show was so much more.

Of course I am not surprised the majority of the viewers wanted to see him killed or even claim David Chase doesnt know his own show after he demented Tonys Death.

Good televions always has been andalways will be wasted on morons.

Edited on 12/18/2009 9:00am