The Sopranos

Johnny Cakes

Aired Unknown Apr 30, 2006 on HBO

• One of the best episodes in a while.

Easily the best episode this season. So much happens: Vito accepting his homosexuality, Tony resisting temptation, AJ becoming Tony. While I watch the show religiously, I was starting to drift away a bit. I'm fully sucked back in.

A couple of minor gripes: Is it just me or did it just feel a bit cheesy that Julianna Margulies' character's name was Julianna? Also, Vito does not make a very natural gay guy. That was fairly uncomfortable watching him make out with the guy from the Village People next to the lake. Also, I started panicking when he took off his shirt thinking that Vito was going to take his shirt off too. Thank God that didn't happen. Some things are better left to the imagination...
  • Read this review for the facts

Ok, this was a very good episode, with a lot of facts to capture that will undoubtedly untwist at the finale.

I\\\\\\\'ve read the other reviews on here, I agree that A.J is turning into Tony.... but the reason for this is that he sees the perks and respect that his peers hold for his dad. AJ wants this for himself, the respect, the perks and the fear from others... hence this pushed him to attempt to stab Junior.

We see a new side to Tony here as well, he gets the chance to f*uck the real estate agent and turns her down at the last minute.

The Vito story was more build-up than anything else, he's getting wacked very soon! Maybe his new 'boyfriend' and their crew will stick up for him in a 'village-people vs The Mob' style beatdown.

Not much from Chris, Paulie and the others in this episode which was dissapointing. My previous predictions are carried forward:

- Terrorism strikes, I think the credit card guys are up to something

- The Black Rappers come back for Bobby after he shot one in the a$$

Still nothing on the suicide in the first episode, Paulie extorting the owners son of the garbage business etc. I look forward to all these loose ends being tied up for an explosive finale.

Blake.

• AJ is becoming Tony

Isn't that the message of this episode? Especially when AJ starts to have the the panic attacks. Can it be more in our face?

Of course who would not expect a son to be like a father? Tony of course! He said this very thing in this episode, that he wants AJ to not follow in his footsteps.

One thing I liked was wHen AJ went to see Junior, he dropped the knife. This was completely in character that he be so impetuous and clumsy. Something also tells me that he is seeking his Father's approval, which is causing an inner turmoil for AJ right now.

The title Johhny Cakes is an analogy to all the "gaiety" that is going on in New Hampshire. Boy Vito is in the right place there! How many of those fire-fighters were coming across as homosexual?

I was looking for some excitemant for the Vito character in this episode, but I did not see the type of excitement I was looking for. I was hoping for gunplay "Sopranos style" and I got gunplay "Queer as Folk style". :(

Oh well maybe next week.

Overall, very entertaining.
  • Whoa...

Brokeback Vito...Wow...

Anyways, this was the best episode of the season so far, blowing away Members Only and MrMrs. Johnny Sac Request. The symbolism and parallels David Chase ties in so perfectly were alive and well tonight.

First, it was good to finally see why they put Dominic Chianse's and Lorraine Bracco's name in the opening credits, even though Corrado only had 2-3 lines.

The "out-with the old, in with the new" parallel was my favorite. It shows the irony and hypocrisy of mobsters who shakedown hard-working business owners, yet get upset when corporations start eating up all the spots in the neighborhood. Similar to what happened in Las Vegas, where the mob ran nearly 90% of the gaming in the city, yet now the odds of you winning are lower now that corporations own them. It also spoke volumes of Patsy's already shaky relationship with Tony. With giving his twin and new moonroof, making him clean up the Gloria situation, passing him over for Christopher in "No Show", and now profiting from one of his livelihoods. Keep your eye on Patsy this season, as subordinates have been given arcs this year (Benny, Paulie, Eugene).

The other parallel was the fatherson apple from the tree scenes. Tony inside knows that A.J. is doing the exact same things that he did at his age, and its only a matter of time now before A.J. does something he and Tony will regret. There's only so many things he can keep from Carmella, too. I like the mention of the Godfather scene by A.J.

I am also glad that Tony didn't go through with the Juliana thing. It breaks up the monotony of Tony's infidelity, and shows how much he's changed since he moved back in in "Long Term Parking." I applaud the casting department of continuing Tony's psychological, Livia-influenced attraction to women. Notice how they are all dark-haired, sophisticated, intelligent women, yet they all possess some quality Livia has and Carmella doesn't (Melfi, Valentina, Gloria, Irina). Tony's getting pissed off over smoked turkey was him being stressed and confused over which type of woman he's attracted to, since he couldn't get it up for either one. Is it the usual dark-haired woman, or his own wife?

As for Vince, er, I mean Vito. Our auteur is experiencing what I like to call Chase favoritism. Basically speaking, the focus on Vito is built to conflict with Tony. Just like Richie, Ralphie, and Blundetto. Something will happen to Vito, and it won't sit well with Tony. All season, the crew's sidestories have been constructed to instill doubt into Tony (Eugene's suicide, Paulie's mother problems, Silvio's leadership ability, Christopher's ventures in the business, and next week, apparently something with Bobby.) For those saying this season is boring, there's a huge pot of venom brewing and ready and waiting to explode in the last 3 episodes, like it always does.

Great episode tonight

1010.
  • Tony sells one of his companies to Jamba Juice and makes a pass at the sexy real-estate agent, Vito continues his romance with Johnny Cakes, and AJ attempts to wipe out Uncle Junior but chickens out leading to a powerful father-son chat.

Although it doesn't move fast at all, to be perfectly honest it's pretty damn slow at moments, this is a powerful episode that is great in it's own way. I didn't like the Julianna Margulies playing the Jamba Juice worker plot-line, but we learn a lot about AJ in this episode. After dropping out of High School, AJ gets a job at Blockbuster where he screws around with his wasteland friends and spouts the f-word every five seconds. At night he goes out to clubs and gets f-d up, and charges up bills of $1830 on his father's credit card. His friends always want to talk about his dad, and ask about his uncle Junior who shot Tony. He replies, "Yeah. I guess I might be having to whack him." AJ gets it into his mind he has to kill Uncle Junior, and packs a knife with him to go to the Nursing Home. In a scene resembling the Fredo dropping the gun scene from The Godfather, AJ goes to looney bin armed and sees Junior. Junior let's out a nice gesture to AJ, and AJ realizes how much he loves him, and drops the knife on the ground. He is attacked by security guards where his dad picks him up from the police station. They have a powerful and pivotal talk where Tony tells him he isn't a ganster, the godfather is just a movie and AJ is a good guy and shouldn't act tough. They kiss and make up. Vito is having fun with Johnny Cakes and starts up a relationship with him, while back in New Jersey a character we usually don't see much of, Patsy Parisi, tries to pressure a local Starbucks for protection money, and is surprised it doesn't work. It moves slow, but there are some little moments that really make the episode. My Rating: 8/10.
  • Still taking risks... The Sopranos never fires blanks.

In the current social and political climate, the furor over films such as Brokeback Mountain might discourage less daring and skillful writers from producing such material. I don't think that homosexual intimacy is itself incindiary though I am surprised with the furver that the episodes depicting such scenes have been embraced by fans. Why am I surprised? The Sopranos has always challenged our perception of the gansta, the hard man, but to openly depict a high ranking marfioso as gay(I'm sure some would be) is challenging on a fundamental level many that would think this unthinkable.

Tony sees a psychiatrist, Chris has a drug addiction and Vito is gay. I am not suggesting that homosexuality, seeking therapy or having a substance abuse problem are inherent signs of weakness though to the other mafia types(in the Sopranos) they are often catorgarised as such. To a heightened degree the Sopranos deals with a hyprocritical, cynical and hedonistic world, filled with "jackals" who ultimately only look out for themselves despite their pledges of loyalty and honour. And so this gay issue is a very controversial one to deal with as it is at odds with a conservative view of love and acceptable family values(held by many of Tony's crew, and many real Americans) that deems it to be the ultimate sin, against comrades, against family and against god.

The jackals can forgive their own numerous indescretions for at least they are not a "f**king f*g." This catorgarisation of homosexuality as the ultimate betrayal not only allows for some posturing, and boasting by Tony's men but offers redemption as perhaps on some subconsious level they believe that killing Vito, doing this 'good' service would prove their superiority to him and that, by ridding the world of, as they see it, the lowliest of creatures(lowlier somehow than themselves) they are redeeming themselves in some small measure. These are men desparate to prove themselves, their own worth, they seek reassurance and acceptance and often the only way they know how to achieve these ends is through the abuse and exploitation of others.
  • Im pretty sure attempted murder would get looked at on his (A.J) college application. Pretty sure.......- Kutmastacurt

What an adventurous episode of Sopranos where AJ finally confronts his great uncle Junior for the kill in which he does what every viewer knew he would do.... fail horribly. I guess that what he was put on this earth to do really. On top of that he has that panic attack that makes him look even weaker than ever. His father has it but plays it down with his aggressive, intimidating, manipulating actions. This was a character building episode for Aj... or should i say character crumbling episode. As he heads down the path of a lazy **** he reminds me of myself at times, so he is a real eye opener. On the Vito story, its going the way I predicted earlier with him getting settled into his new home of New Hampshire which will get him to put his guard down and possibly slip up for those looking for his \"f** ass\" as Chrissy would call it. His second mistake was calling home to speak not only to his wife but to his son who may give some info away to Phil about him calling. All I know is that he is a dead man, whether it be by Tony or Phils crew. The most hilarious moment was when Tony came home and took out his anger on Carmella for feeling guilty of being a once again criminal of infidelty .
    This was a great episode and since we are halfway near the end I wish they would come on every 2 weeks so i can examine every scene on \"ON DEMAND\" before the next episode airs.
    These episodes are why we (fans) love The Sopranos.
  • Tony is up to his old tricks again, or is he?

I thought this was a very good episode. Tony has been too good lately and you knew it wasn't going to last, he can only be faithful to his wife for so long. Well it might be longer now because he's self conscious about his scar. I liked Juliana's character and hope to see more of her. I was surprised when Vito called his wife. I'm sure they're going to find him soon. A. J. is now having the full blown panic attacks, I can't wait to see how Tony handles that. Tony seems to be having his own break down, in therapy he's talking about how Carmella helped him and in the end he's so frustrated about not being able to cheat on her he's taking it out on her. This is definitely getting interesting.