The Sopranos

Join the Club

Aired Unknown Mar 19, 2006 on HBO

• Tony is in a coma. The Family deals.

This was one of the most somber and human episodes of Sopranos, or any television show for that matter. Stylistically, it reminded me of an episode of Lost, with its dream-coma sequences that seemed to be fraught with symbolism and allusions. If Tony comes out of this alive, this could be his first step towards turning good. Overall, what an emotional and different episode.
  • Full of symbolism and allusions

A more poignant and emotional episode of Sopranos as we now look over him lying in his "deathbed". The acting really shined in this episode and Edie Falco was fkn amazing. Tony Soprano's acting in his dream sequence and maintaining character as someone not in his real position as a Jersey Boss was the best. It was weird not hearing him talk with that annoying Jersey accent. A.J shows his anger and will definetly do something in the future.

It was not an episode that advanced viewers in the storyline, except for the foreshadowing events that may take place between A.J and Uncle Junior and the direction of power between the Captains. It was an episode full of symbolism and allusions in Tony's dream that kept viewers guessin as to when he was going to wake up out of the coma.
    It will be quite interesting to see what the Captains will do and how they will maintain their territory with one boss behind jail and the other boss in a coma. It definetly is a turn in direction from the norm.
  • Great episode! Sets things further in place.

Tony lying in a coma was a great opportunity to reveal the intentions of his captains in the face of tragedy, and also to show the true feelings of his family members. Janice was as always self-centered. AJ, Meadow and Carmella showed they truly loved Tony despite all that had happened over the years.

The episode ending without resolution of Tony's coma was another welcome development. I imagined the end would have to be his waking up, but Chase didn't resort to cliche endings. Next week proves to be violent, or at least tense.
  • Gooooooood Lord that's some good television.

Fan-freakin-tastic. This episode of Sopranos made me wanna do cart-wheels it was so good. I was watching it with a buddy of mine, and by the end of the episode we were holding hands comforting each other as the pure emotion of the episode moved us towards total bliss. Why bliss? Because that was good television. Television in the late 90's was crap. But today it is better then ever. It's amazing how so little happened last night in regards to season arcs, little things here and there but nothing big, but just watching the family deal with Tony's coma was riveting. And watching the alter-Tony was an interesting insight to what could have happened. Almost like the Sopranos version of the Christmas Story. Two thumbs up. Way Up.
  • Wow! Wow.

I never thought a Sopranos episode would actually make my eyes water with worry and sadness, but this did it. At first I was simply amused by the Tony-dream storyline, in which he is a businessman trapped on a business trip because he's accidentally switched IDs. But the more I watched, the more gripping it became, and the more I felt it truly related to the idea of being lost in a coma.

Will he come out of it? Only future episodes will reveal the outcome, but I certainly hope he emerges alive and healthy, if only because he's the emotional backbone of this series. At any rate, it is providing some great storylines. This show is back to it's original form!
  • when talking about the sopranos this episode was just aveage

ok so it took me awile to actualy figure out what was goin on in the first place but once i figured out that tony is in a coma and he was dreaming about having an actual normal life and has to deal with problems in that reality as well. the other half of the show is capturing the pain that the family is going through and everyone has their own way of doing that i just found it rather boring but acording to the dr's tonys future may not be so bright
  • Dream sequences... or coma sequences... just kill him!!!!

6.1
    I won't stop watching The Sopranos. Not yet anyway. I will continue to give it a chance to progress through this season. But must we continue to endure runaway symbolism in every episode?

OK, fires burning in Costa Mesa... Tony is on his way to hell... OK, I get it. But what is the deal with the violent monks? When the upside of an episode is no visits to Melfi, there are some serious issues.

There is certainly much to develop from this point, as the family begins to see how to make the best for themselves individually. This should lead to higher drama down the road. But time cannot and should not be wasted. It's the nature of our time to move things at a higher pace, continual development of plots and sub-plots. Even as Lost moves along at what can seem a slow pace, the sub-texts remain strong. Having more characters goes a long way to sustaining the overall slower pace.

But The Sopranos has no shortage of characters to develop. David Chase... get it in gear!
  • This is NOT why we watch the Sopranos. Dream Sequence? character building? That's the Sopranos line. Pointlessness, no, that's not the Sopranos in the least.

They should have just rerun last week's episode. This weeks was no better. The amount of significant plot points in this show could be counted on one hand.

The Sopranos is known for it's dream sequences and elaborate ones at that. However this season is already proving to have childish ones at best. Almost half the episode is Tony's and it's just not up to par. The secret meanings are just below the surface, and they arn't entertaining.

The acting was spot on, and the directing was fine. Making Edie Falco look like hell was a severe step, giving Tony a huge disfiguring wound was an interesting choice.

But overall. The only character that really grew was AJ, even Christopher who had the second major role (if you ignore Carmela's bedside sitting) did almost nothing.

The season started off with a big opening that brought us back to the original series, however this episode appears to make the original episode have a subtitle of "this was the old sopranos welcome to the new one."

The biggest problem is there's minimal conflict, there's minimal action. There's just Tony vs Death, AJ vs Death, and Vito starting his rise.

None of thse got resolved, all of them could have been handled in the first 20 minutes or so.

At the very least this episode could have avoided these pitfalls with a more secluded dream line for the whole episode.

Yet as meantioned the things resolved are nonexistant, the things introduced are nonimportant, and the things that make us watch this show are missing in "lack of" action.

Luckily next week looks to bring us back to the core of the sopranos, however with Tony still in a coma at the end of the episode, one wonders why was an hour wasted here with no revelation (even in the dream). Tony is what holds the show together, with the mixture of home life, and business life. With him out of the way, the show might be showing a few cracks in the foundation.
  • Boring, with Tony in a dream sequence nothing really happend.

Maybe we were spoiled too much from the first episode where so much occured, this episode might have helped on delve into the mind ot Big T, but not much. A good thing though is that we did learn much more about AJ and Tony's family, however not much occured with his other "family".
  • Wake Up, Tony!

Judged against most other series, this was still good television, but it didn't measure up to the benchmark The Sopranos has established for itself.

What this episode did prove is that James Gandolfini's commanding presence is vital to the success of the show. There were some other good acting performances, notably by Edie Falco, but the story took a very leisurely pace. One of the dramatic highlights was "borrowed" almost verbatim from the first Godfather movie: when A.J. is at his father's bedside, vowing revenge, it echoed Michael Corleone at his father's bedside, being pulled into the family business.

That promises some conflict in the weeks ahead, and we'll need it. Watching the dressings get changed on Tony's gunshot wound is not going to sustain our interest week after week.

• An entire episode devoted to sharing one small bit of information: Tony is in a coma. Save it for daytime tv, I want more...

1.5
    The entire episode was a wash. Tony's in the hospital, in critical condition, and in a medically induced coma, all due to the gunshot wound he received in the previous episode.

Big deal, we could have understood that with less than 10 minutes of tv; we didn't need to be dragged through 60 long minutes of crap that made the last season of X-Files seem riveting by comparison!

After readjusting my ass in my seat for the seventeenth time, I looked at the clock and learned I was fourty minutes into this episode. I turned to someone else in the room and said "If he doesn't either get better or die in this episode, I'm going to be mad." As you can tell, I'm mad.
  • gotta weight in, because I dig this episode.

This is great stuff. Now sure, I watch the Sopranos to see people get blown away, but I also feel like Tony Soprano is one of the most developed characters in the history of literature. That's why this departure into an alternate Tony is mindblowing. To think that these all might be dormant parts of Tony's personality allowed to flourish for a while gives a new look at who he is, especially when viewed in light of all the things we already know about him.

The identity of the civilian Tony invades reality when Tony wakes up at one point, and that makes me wonder how all the time he spend in his own mind as this person will effect his real life when he wakes up, which i assume he will.

More importantly there are these scenes of the Sopranos as a family functioning in a crisis that are undersued elements. I love to see Carmela in charge, interacting with the men... and I epsecially love what's happening with A.J.

In season five A.J. was becomming a terrible snotbag. It looked like he might grow up to be a sociopath, and he still might. Now we see him giving a damn about someone else finally, and it's a reasonable step. He wants to avenge his father.

And I absolutely ate up Carmela's monologue delivered to the sleeping Tony. There's such passion there for this man, and they've fought, but she doesn't just tearfully plead and say she loves him, she makes us believe it by telling him why.

I've never cared so much about these characters. And that speaks well for this episode, because i already cared for them a great deal.
  • Without question, the worst show in the history of this otherwise outstanding series.

I am in disbelief that people gave this episode anything above a 5. I would give it a 0 except that the cast is so outstanding that just having them stand around and talk for an hour is worth at least a 5.

How on earth could they give us two straight episodes with dream sequences after we've waited about 18 months for this series to start.

Apparently, the writers had way, way, way too much time on their hands and out thought themselves into this derivative dribble.

Get back to the real world please! This is such a great show, that this episode was simply unworthy of it and the cast.

There are a very limited number of shows left in this series, lets all hope we don't have to suffer through one like this again.

I only wish I could have that hour of my life back.
  • Big dissapointment

4.7
    I was really looking forward to this episode, I thought it would really fire us into the sixth season (following a "catch-up" premiere). I watch the Sopranos to be entertained by the mafia antics, cheeky comedy of Tony, Chris and Paulie and the general family dilemas that occur.

This episode was poor, I was expecting the coma scene, where Tony is a business man trapped at an Air Port, to last 10 mins tops. Although there were some interesting scenes the pace of this episode was generally too slow.

Following on from the premiere, where a lot of focus was placed on Tony's associate who eventually hangs himself, I am at a loss with season 6. Let's hope things get back to normal soon, I want to see some of the traditional fun and drama which has made the Sopranos what it is today.
  • A snorer in every aspect...

1.2
    I fell asleep on this borning episode 35 minutes through and from what I saw...I'm moving on to the next episode. I got tired of the dream sequences in seasons 1 and 2 and even then they were introduced later in the seasons, not in the second bloody episode of a season. If you've video taped it using a VCR, a DVR or even downloaded it off the Internet then your in luck, fast foward the dream parts and stop at the reality parts and you'll save minutes of your life that could be used doing something else...after all, the best part of this episode was the intro.
  • The seasons to short for this.

I am at a loss of words, the acting was superb however i am angry that there is so little progression in such an important season where there are not that many episodes. At the beginning when i saw Tony i was my self grieving...but shortly after i was shouting okay now get the f*** up please. I wanted to see Tony Soprano not Kenny what's his name. Regardless of my slight disappointment with some aspects of this episode i was still intrigued by Anthony Jr. (spitting image of his father as a teen) Carmella, and Chris.
  • A terrible episode

This episode goes down as one of the worst in the 6 yrs(really 9 yrs)of the Sopranos. We didn't wait 2 yrs for a boring dream episode like this one. They could have gone in so many directions with many of the characters, instead we see a dream wasted hour.
    Give us a break.........
  • nice character and plot development. Not sure how the alternate Tony fits in the overall picture. Can't wait to get this sorted out.

The plot thickens and there is some character development. You can almost guess how Tony's son will get sucked in the Mafia. College dropout with anger management problems ... like father like son ...
    The whole alternate reality is weird and at the moment doesn't make much sence but I'm sure that it'll all come together ( it has done so in the past seasons )
    The 6th season is shaping up to be a real beauty.
  • Excellent Episode for True Fans those of you that don't like it - "Lose your arrogance!"

I don't underdstand why people get so upset with this episode because they thought it was boring or something. I thought it was excellent. It compacted all the ideas of who Tony really is into one episode while also making abold statement about identity. I loved the way he lost his briefcase and essentially had no identity
    If you notice in Tony's dream he is still the same Tony we love, cheats on his wife, a captain of his industry, a short temper, and an unwillingness to deal with other peoples problems. This glimpse shows us that our identity is seperate from our memories. The fact is last seasons episode, "The Test Dream" was the set up for "Join the Club"
    When the monk slaps Tony and he falls over the luggage is a classic Sopranos moment which goes back to the first season in which Tony talks about watching his father fall and laughing, bu realizing his mother was laughing at him, not with him.
    Carmella is phenominal as always proving, yes, she does love Tony more than anything. Above anything.
    In the end we see the new Tony is dying as well as the old Tony. So even if Tony wants to stay in the coma his existence will still fade away.
    My favorite part of the ep is the end, when he grabs the phone but puts it down letting us thing he is going to come out of the coma, but he puts the phone down and sits to look out the window. The mood is eleevated by Moby's "When Its Cold Id Like To Die" which effectivly portrays the tone of the episode, Tony, and the quiet desperation of the characters in the show.
  • If you want non-stop action, watch 24...if you want good solid story-telling, watch this episode instead

Slow paced? Yes.

Slightly surreal? Yes.

An action fiesta of non-stop thrills and excitement? No.

A great episode? Definitely.

The people indicating that this episode was too slow-paced/boring are watching the wrong show. The Sopranos has had a long history of pacing its seasons with intermittent action/drama/character development/comedy/etc. It cannot be considered as wholly belonging to any one genre. As such, each season is peppered with a few episodes of pure, character-driven drama, sans cowboy-style shoot-em-up moments. This was simply one of those episodes.

Sometimes they have a great shoot-em-up episode to satisfy the action fans. Other times they work on character development, like the early episode when Tony and Meadow went looking at colleges. Other times an episode is just plain silly (Paulie and Christopher stuck in the woods, for example). And other times, we have slightly off-key dream sequence episodes filled with heartfelt angst and drama. This was one of those episodes.

If you didn't like this episode, I guess I can understand, but episodes like this are what make the show great. Not knowing what style the writers will utilize each episode makes each show fresh and entertaining. I would probably have tuned out a long time ago if every episode had been like this one (and if we see several dreamy episodes in a row, I may decide to write a very different review), but I have faith (based on past seasons) that the writers are headed somewhere very satisfying with this storyline and I'm in for the long haul.

Bottom line: if you want a show that sticks to a formula and delivers the same thing episode after episode, season after season, you'll have to look elsewhere because the Sopranos is one of those rare well-rounded shows that delivers a bit of everything throughout the season and that's what makes it great.

• Very sad.

6.1
    I was really hoping Tony be awake and alive in this episode. The way they ended the first one was so hardcore. But no, he is in a coma. And it a dream sequence episode! Here we are in the second episode in the new season and we are already having a dream episode!

I dind't really like the parts when he is that other guy. And it took up like half the episode. We need more Soranos action! I was dying to see what was going on with his family and everyone, but they kept showing Tony being like someone else. Very strange.

I hope Tony is still alive.
  • Tony is deep in a coma. Friends and Family Gather to support him. Tony may not get out alive.

Let's start this review out on a positive note -- I am very glad they didn't decide to wimp out with Tony being shot and do a retrospective season like some people were rumoring. Actually, creator and writer of this episode David Chase did quite the opposite. We don't actually know if Tony will live or die. He's in a coma and his chances of recovering are very slim to none. This episode seemed to move very slow, and the coma induced dream Tony was in involving mistaken identity and robed Asian monks slapping the sh*t out of him was absolutely, flat-out weird. After 45-minutes I got a little sick of everyone grieving, but that shouldn' t be a reason to slam this episode. It was a weird and unpredictable episode, but it was still well-written and intense. Edie Falco gave an astounding career-defining performance in this episode as the conflicted wife having to face with her husband's could-be demise. I also found it interesting AJ dropped out of school and swore a vendetta against Junior, which AJ most likely won't have the balls to pull off. Silvio is now acting-boss which opens numerous doors to problems in later episodes. There were a lot of great quips in this episode, also, and I think Vito 'Pole-Smoker' Spadafore may meet his demise if he keeps being a greedy S.O.B.

This wasn't a great episode and disappointed only because even though Tony kills people, we as an audience adore him and feel he is our hero of the show. This was a necessary episode for the series, even though it was a little snore inducing towards the conclusion. Kudos to Edie Falco's performance, and David Chase and the writers for creating this wholly original and unpredictable plot twist. This is the only season of 'The Sopranos' where I haven't a f*cking clue where it is going to go. I can't wait for next week's episode. My Rating: 7.5/10
  • You have to watch this episode for the acting, not the potential violence. If you do, then switch back to CSI.

Wow. Just like I expected. Mainstream, idiotic fans who don't see any violence automatically think an episode is bad. Same deal with last season's "The Test Dream." But it makes sense. People lash out towards what they don't understand.

This episode had superb acting. Edie Falco should have a statue ready and waiting for her on this one. She was flat-out brilliant this week. And that wasn't even the best part. Robert Iler finally flexed his acting muscle for a change. His Anakin Skywalker-like turn to the Dark Side (or Mob side) is complete. He has flunked out of school and has sworn vengeance. Flunked out earlier than Tony actually. It will be interesting to see the conflict between these two, as this is exactly what Tony and Carm didn't want for A.J. The only thing I didn't like about tonight's episode was the use of music. The ending song was rather cheesy, and "Smoke on the Water" seemed out of place for a guy near death. All in all, well-acted, and Chase's coma-dream sequence will take a few views to interpret fully.

9\10.
  • Off to dreamland

7.1
    We’re off to dream land with Tony and so far it’s not as bad as I thought. I actually thought that they would try to play off last week’s scene as the last episode and then go back over this season to show everything leading up to Tony’s death. But I guess that wouldn’t have worked. Very few shows have the balls to kill off the main character and try to move on.

So instead it’s another one of those “what could’ve been” things from Chase and company. I find it amazing that of all the things in the world he could pick, he went with insurance salesmen. And why would he still be bald and heavy? At least imagine yourself some hair, Tony.
    It’s kinda weird after hearing the accent for so long to get used to listening to James Gandolfini not use it.

The rest of the episode, not much happened. A.J. tried to be manly and it failed. Meadow read some heaven poetry and it was kind of odd. Carmela reminisced and played old music while looking haggard. I actually could’ve done without Janice. She’s just that aunt that overdoes the dramatics at every event. Once was fine but twice, did we really need it.

Thank God for Junior’s scene…that feisty old guy always makes me smile.

All in all, not a terrible episode but they need to get Tony headed towards the light or answering the phone. If this drags on, it could be brutal.
    The previews for next week show that the war for control is beginning...but did they have to channel Spiderman??