The Sopranos

Made in America

Aired Unknown Jun 10, 2007 on HBO

7.8
  • Brilliant Ending- It's all there if you pay attention.

Patsy Parisi has always hated Tony, for the murder of his twin brother. In one episode he even tries to shoot him at his home, but runs back into the bushes without Tony ever seeing him.

After Christopher dies, there is no heir apparent, no one to avenge Tony should he be hit. Christopher was by the time he died easily the most dangerous guy in the gang. From that point on, Tony's empire is built on sand.

Christopher's death opens up a power vacuum at ground level, quickly filled by the ambitious Patrick Parisi. Patrick has started dating Meadow, and knows which restaurant they are to meet at (NOT Vesuvio).

AJ walks in with the bodyguard, who knows what is about to go down. Aj sits at the table with his family, the bodyguard sits nearby watching nervously for Meadow to arrive. When she doesn't show up, he gets up and goes into the men's room. Tony gives him a look, then shrugs 'I guess he's gotta go'.

Patsy comes out of the men's room and walks up to Tony. Tony look s up and Patsy shoots him.

He shoots AJ, he shoots Carmela, she shoots Meadow on the way out. Janice, Paulie and Uncle June are already dead.

This echos the restaurant scene in the Godfather, which Tony dreamed about in "The Test Dream".

Remember Patsy's parting words to the car remember; the last face you see won't be Tony's - it'll be mine"

• It makes sense

Basically after Melfi (finally) discovers that Tony is not a patient who will be cured - the show can end - and that's precisely what happens and correctly. The family is loveable, yet highly flawed, and that's what the final episode shows. Nothing has changed. The episodes ending, the black screen, the family doing what they always do. It just carries on until it can carry on no more. And because Chase is realistic, he isn't going to kill everyone off or rescue everyone. A great episode that couldn't have been any other way.
  • "Not Pew. LE Pew. Pepe le Pew is my name."

I'm surprised at this epic blunder's 7.7 rating, since it stunk so bad it's a wonder the odor of decay didn't waft out the TV set. His Chaseness blew this like the wind on a not-so-grand scale. It's remarkable how on here the thumbs-down contingent [which I'm] are in such agreement over this televised morass of disjointed continuity, genuine tension [there'd already been many times when Tony was getting up in Paulie's 'other' face and it looked/felt like he wanted to kill him] and a clumsy, graceless end to one of the most absorbing shows on TV - especially the last 20 years. Being of the same frame of mind on so many points good and [mostly] bad, I won't list those other than my lipcurling contempt for that stupid music that underscored The Final Scene, which had as much atmospherics as the national anthem in a strip club. I don't recall offhand if Journey ever did anything I liked, but this one 'ain't' it. I was WTF just through that banal noise, which fit as well as a small peg in a large hole, let alone the Blackout. But after a little thought [and a lot of Curse You David Chase], I thunk up a couple of alternate endings. They keep that hokeyus maximus ending intact [although it'd have been cleaner if it had been the instant Tony got to sit upright] but leave less to the imagination. A few more dollops of detail [and better music] could only have improved the "surprise," yet still leave Questions Unanswered:

Besides shortening up Miss Meadow's excruciating parking problem, to me having just closeups of the two doors opening - the entrance and the men's room - then a cut to old dude [who just sat upright] then Pull the Plug still keep us hanging like a client of Judge Roy Bean. A little of the "uh oh, who's that?" instead of just . . . nothing. Or, to satisfy the bloodlust of certain devotees [but why some of y'all want to see Tony get whacked, ya sickos?], pop goes the blackout and then after a few seconds' pause, the sound of a single shot [pic of (name your choice)], then 1/2 shots [pic, maybe of 2/3 bagged] then last a bit of a fusillade til the echo fades, credits roll. [It wasn't til after I thought of such sequence, leaving Tony for last as it might be, that I was reminded of the Sharon Tate horror.] I'd line up Miss Janice and them two useless brats I've loathed from jump to be first in that firing line [serving suggestion: instead of Miss Meadow coming through that door, there's a shot on her sprawled on the pavement before it]. And somewhere in there instead of Brat #2's incessant whining - the chief reason he should be in the Top 3 to get it - could've been inserted at least an answer to the Russian question. Most of the other issues noted do need repairing as well - and why not a TWO-hour ending to encompass more "wrapping up?" "Divorce Court" notched 1000 episodes and there was just a regular half-hour, no like special commemorative week of specially spicy cases or some such. Scrooge would be proud. But whether Daveyboy dropped this dud on purpose or not, the sendoffs given to TV shows these days are really mostly laid eggs; they either trip over or choke on their own hype so that the Beeg Finish ain't no such thing. But no resolutions will ever happen, as so many hoped when this Lame-O Supreme-O first stank up the air, and we are left with a lot of what-ifs and a thinned-out supply of daggers from having plunged so many into No Fight For Old D. C.'s back. Well, we shouldn't let the fact that this Jackson Roykirk of the airwaves pushed out an orb instead of putting on a show like "M*A*S*H" - which last days were far worse than The Sopranos, so no excuse there - and continue to savor the pungent flavor of the rest of the Chronicles of Tony. In the, um, end that's what's most important - that only one fraction of the total had so many noses pinched as of over a fresh-turned Pine Barrens stiff. "Bada-Bing!"
  • the end :-(

My favourite show of all times!!!

I really tried watching other shows with no prejudice, but I am now sure that no other shows will even come close to this master piece!

Every character and almost every actor was so realistic and great and all of them funcioned just perfect. Okay, I never liked A.J. and Janice, but they also had their bright moments.

And what can I say about the ending? At first I was furious, I felt like the let down on us. Then I tried to visualise what kind of ending would be a perfect one? Directors obviously knew the answer before I did, so this WAS a perfect ending for a PERECT SHOW!

Sopranos, thank you for your existance!!
  • What a good episode that was! It is like one of those things that you decide the ending. All I care about is that Phil got what he had coming!!! Phil gettin whacked and then the ride smashing his head was classic.

What a good episode that was! It is like one of those things that you decide the ending. All I care about is that Phil got what he had coming!!! Phil gettin whacked and then the ride smashing his head was classic. That was AWESOME! I was hoping that Phil would have got it before the show ended. I actually watched The Sopranos up to Season 4 and then my brother moved away and I didn't watch Season 5 & 6 via Netflix lol.

I am glad that I waited out the few years and then what them all. I remember I seen the ending on YouTube before they started to take off Copyrighted videos.

This is by far one of the best shows ever!

Everyone talked about the ending being dumb, but it was a perfect ending with it fading to black.
  • GREAT

This episode was really good,Phil gets whacked in a very original way, the New York V New Jersey War ended, Carlo has flipped and is going to testify against Tony, as for the main point(the ending) there is no official ending with conspiracy thoeries(eg The russian from Pine Barrens,Butchie) David chase has is a genius and has made a great ending that leaves it all up in the air. I liked how all shifty characters came in to Holsten's giving you the feeling he was going to get whacked(eg, the truck driver, One of the black guys who was going to whack Tony in season 1, The guy in the members only jacket). In my personal opinion Tony did not die because 1. It was in front of his family and then the killer would have to kill them too which would be stupid for the killer to do. 2. Noone lays their hands on a mob boss and the head of a family unless there is a it put on by another boss(which would still get the other boss in trouble). And 3. The persn who killed Tony would be screwed from every corner, from New Jersey and New York.
  • Brilliant ending to the best show ever made.

After the disappointment of the Ashes To Ashes finale I remembered why David Chase was such a brilliant storyteller. The Sopranos finale was as perfect a denoument as an ending can get. It was ostensibly ambiguous but carefully crafted in such a way where the discerning viewer who followed the on-going clues could work out what would be Tony Soprano's fate. Some people thought nothing happened when the show suddenly cut to black. But the final scene had all the hallmarks of a classic Twilight Zone twist. Look at it carefully and you will know what Chase was aiming at.
  • It's not bad episode.

6.8
    There is a good episode but...

SPOILER WARNING AHEAD...

There was a huge issue about Phil got over by the tire
    then the head blow off it sounds like balloon pop. That's a disturbing violence!

And also, worst ending ever-- this is not an opening ending.
    That is ridiculous ending about something went to black that didn't mean by cable went cut out. There is before ending:
    this was about that, Meadow tried to park, but it wasn't getting a park as she having problems with parking because she cannot getting fit in the parking space while I guess Tony, AJ, Carmela sitting each other for dinnertime
    before they shot their families would been killed that is my opinion for guessing about the ending.
  • none of this works.

6.6
    All I have to say about this is this, Mr.Chase this is your story fine do whatever you want with it. But when I watch a movie or read a book I want to know about these characters and what happens to them and now I'll never know. In some stories it's alright to leave a mystery in the end but this ending is just too damn open ended, we've been with these characters for years and I myself want to know how it ends. It's as if your giving me the story and telling me you make it up I'm out of ideas.

What was good about this finale..... Phil's head crushed.
  • Must be writers block.

5.3
    Although the main character was Tony Soprano viewers were involved with all of the other characters as well. No character ever narrated and no character was ever portrayed in the first person yet we end the series in the blown away mind of Anthony Soprano and are left hanging. Previously when Tony was shot by Junior, he spent a few episodes lying unconscious in the hospital. Other than having to watch a few flashbacks we still interacted with the other characters and were not forced to watch a blank screen. During the 86 episodes we shared the lives of most of the main characters and even watched some of the children grow up. This is not meant to be a cliff hanger, it's an abrupt end to a fantastic series and the viewers have been cheated because someone got writers block.
  • not up to the quality of the rest of the show.

huh after such a good series its a shame the last episode was so wimpy. what was the point ? one of the slowest mediocre nothing happens waste of time episodes of the sopranos ever if you ask me . no twists or turns, nothing really to make it a series finale . I mean were we supposed to be wondering if tony was going to get shot at the end ? who was left to have ordered the shooting ? new york ? maybe i just missed it i was bored by that point. what a cop out . if you cant write a decent ending at least write a bad one, not no ending at all .
  • The final episode.

The sopranos ended with this episode after six great seasons. After the final scene I needed couple of seconds because I just stared at tv. The final scene was effective in this way as music stopped suddenly and the last thing I saw, was Tony's face. It was an open ending and in this episode, many questions came with it. Tony's son makes a decision about his future and he deciedes to join to the army but his mother and father are against this. We get some clues about him. Leotardo dies in this episode and The sopranos ends with a lot of questions. But I enjoyed the end so I do not have questions to be answered about their futures. The best drama of tv ended.
  • Some Will Win, Some Will Lose... You Don't Need a Philosopher to Examine Why Chase Did As He Did

"Remember the good times"...
    I kind of held off on writing my thoughts on this episode because I wanted a chance to watch again and reexamine my perspective on the episode. I'm coming from a place that represents both worlds: I loved it and at the same time am a little cheesed. This is definitely NOT the way I envisioned the show to end. Frankly, I don't think anyone intended it to end this way.

You got to hand it to David Chase, he's brilliant but at the same time does not want to be too cliched. The end was no cliche because honestly, there was no end. As in life the show just ended. Why should we care what happens to Tony Soprano and the family. After all its just a TV show. WRONG! I want to know everything that happened, I want to know if Members Only came out of the bathroom shot Tony and killed the rest of the family. That would've been kickass but at the same time unrealistic.
    At 9:56, I was seriously thinking to myself there is no way they can wrap this in four minutes. The scene was Tony talking to Uncle Jun in a mental institution. It was a pretty heartbreaking scene but also brings them full circle. In the pilot Junior said "You may run North Jersey but you don't run your Uncle Junior". Essentially, Tony is now taking care of him because he doesn't know any better now.

Instead of getting into a lenghthy review, I'm just going to highlight scenes I loved:
    *Phil getting whacked at a gas station of all places. Seriously, that was creative! *A.J. finally getting serious and getting a job. The kid has everything and still he has to be a screwup. *The New York/Jersey feud ends. This is good and all but I was expecting full out war like last weeks. It looks as though Little Carmine is going to become boss and he better "suit-up".
    *The use of Don't Stop Believin' as the last song. I envisioned "Born to Run" or "Stairway to Heaven" but never Journey. I loved it though.

I seriously needs some closure though. What happens to Tony? Does Meadow become a mob wife? Where the hell is Melfi? I expected a reconciliation. Also, what happens to Junior? Does Sil ever wake up from his coma? What about the Russian and Melfi's rapist? Huh? Or the ducks! Instead we get an orange cat but its still not the same.
    I *liked* the last episode but I'm seriously hoping there will be a movie some where down the line. If Sex and the City and Arrested Development can do it, I know David Chase can. That being said, this may have not been the best series finale (SFU, hint hint) and it certainly wasn't the worst (*cough* Seinfeld *cough*) but I was definitely expecting more. The Sopranos is and will be one of the best shows ever to grace television, lets just hope that this isn't the end. I'd love for this to go on for five more seasons but I'm glad they ended it when they did.
    My ideal ending would've been Tony suffering a panic attack and being drawn back to Melfi but the penultimate established that Tony's never going to get better since he's such a sociopath. Still, I would've liked to see a Melfi scene even though they terminated therapy last week.
    "You can't always get what you want...but you'll find you get what you need"--Rolling Stones
  • The end is unecessary to be shown. The other guy gets a gun (he was gettin while waking up this mornin'...) in the toilet and when Mead' will come in, Tony will be killed, for whatever reasons.

Those two following recites taken of the net are somewhat immature and probably written by people between the age of 20 and 26 which is still young.

One is shocked, the other is sad, both are angry that the last scene is cut like this without showing the "end" of the scene.

After the recites, I explain why such thinking is really silly.

The first dude wrote:

" none of this works.

What was good about this finale..... Phil's head crushed "

The other comment of someone to the last episode is:

" It Is Over.

At first i was in a state of shock, i couldn´t move or let go of the controller i was holding, i didn´t movie in the sofa i was sitting, i didn´t belive what i just saw, i thought that it would continue, that this was a sick joke... later i realized it wouldn´t. I wished icould rewind and watch it again but i couldn´t. My favorite show of all time was over. I stood up and started walking, didn´t know where to go or what to do, then i turnded to normal, and my thoughts was of cource: "Did it realy end like this?" "Is it going to continue after all?". Then it turned to laugh, followed by sadnes, i didn´t want it to end. This was my reactions after the end of the last episode, now after a while i´ve calmed and i think i can write a review. David Chase is directing! for the first time since the first episode and he does it so well, the last scene of cource haunts me still, but i´ve realized it was brilliant and will remain a classic. Maybe it is as they say: "It´s Best To Quit when on top. "

Now my comment:

OK I get it.

The 21th episode of the sixth and last series of "The Sopranos"is not shocking or surprising or leaving anything out at ALL.

The other guy goes on the toilet. Clearly only to get a gun
    to avenge Phil. After his daughter comes in, the guy will come out and whack Tony absolutely bye-bye in the presence of his family. That's what the leaving ducks stand for. He departs from his family or his family hereby from him in such a brutal and inevitable way.

Tony wasn't a "good dude". Like the warmongering state government, he was responsible for not only extortive repression, but also willful and uncontrolled violence, especially by killing Chris just like this, unseen, easy, just cuz he didn't trust Chris.

OK Chris had Adrianna whacked just cuz she was talkin to the feds, the cops. But that was endangering Tony and his crew. So, Chris considered it "giving, giving, giving" to "give up" Adrianna, even if all that mafia pseudo-"soldier" codex is ethically more than sick and disgusting thinking. Even so, why did Tony have to kill Chris.

Also the cat is on my side, huhu. Tony DID many good things. Trying failingly to keep his son out of his ways. But he tries hard to get AJ a good start like Meadow has, but his psychology and his business consisting of violence used for different purposes affect all his family members negatively. Very much so.

Oohh who I loathe Pauley wanting to whack that good cat. The show is purposely pseudo-understating in its expolicitness, the whole set of the last scenes are butter and honey on the surface and blood and death inside underneath.

The end is not left out so folks can chat about it and how it goes.

That is "c**ks***ing sh**" as Tony would say. "I've come here for seven f**ing years and now that? You know, as a doctor, what you're doin' is immoral."

She shuts the door. Not only to a sociopath, but to a cold-blooded murderer newly considering therapy an absolution and forgiveness and cleansing for his deeds of violence to the purpose of enriching himself.

If I would be Melfi, at the end, I would tell him what HE does is immoral. But she can't, cuz she can't judge him as a therapist.

But this IS so weak. But professional. Therapy is not a cheap way of whining out your problems and not trying to solve them.¨

Still, she could have tried to confront him with the plain truth as it is, as we see as an audience. OK she can't know all we know but she knows a lot about Tony's life, insofar as he doesn't turn things upside down in his telling to protect his image.

How can she be a therapist and not try to get him away from committing violence? Maybe she doesn't try cuz she kinda knows criminals "wouldn't change"? I dunno. Maybe would be too simple, too special for such a realistic show. Kinda sad.

I still see Tony as someone else. As a smart guy like the other there who wants to quietly and peacefully quit the mafia.

Anyway, the show's over, maybe they do some sequel in a movie some day.

Would probably be about his son, for Tony's surely gets whacked that evening at that drive-in or whatever.

Tony was a paranoid whacko even similar to the likes of Stalin.

Also around Tony, people started to disappear lately since maybe the fourth or fifth series.

The whole second part of this series, maybe beginning at the series beginning, but only revealing itself clearly in the third or fourth series, is an undertaking in de-mystifying, de-coolifying the mafia and its characters and functioning structure.

As well as the state is critisized, and well so, when we look at how AJ is developing - well. At first, he greatly and loudly talks about how war is a crime, also Meadow's superb in muttering at the state, and then, Tony Soprano Junior reports his intention of joining the bloody army as a "helper" with his probably at best fully crappy arabic (I tried to learn it, too, I speak hebrew) in Afghanistan, of which he can be brought away by an excellent and succesful try of Tony and Carmella to get him into movie business.
    And probably also make him a club-owner. A nice scene that I loved and still do a lot.

Before we can form the pictures of the real "end" for Tony, namely the guy comes out of the closet just when Meadow is sitting down or even only walking towards the table, the camera is going into blank black mode for some seconds and then we see the credits which means it's a "cut for good".

Let's go on with the concluding sequel to that cut which
    the whole scene and logic of the series enforce:

The guy, walking outta the toilet, doesn't hesitate in the least to pull out his 45 or whatever from under his leather jacket, aims at Tony's head and there we go. He fires at least some three bullets in dear Tony's head.

He stuck and sticks to Phil. He's still in contact with the other guys of Phil's section.

Evrything goes forth unchanged.

THAT is the message.

We don't have to give the picture.

What will come and why the end is left out but forcingly pre-determined including the very soon death of our big boss, does not have to be shown itself. It must conclude out of the foregoing, there is no other option than destruction if one does destruction that is, in general, and also concering the clear last shots of the episode
    and the again: inevitable logical finale they intrinsically contain, prepare and develop:

When we hear a loudly mixed-in song to a set of rather patethically detailed and lingering camera-shots, we KNOW for certain somebody's gonna get whacked for real.

Maybe the guy who will whack Tony right after the cut at the final end of the episode and series loved Phil more than the pact they made, he only pretended he wanted to cooperate with Tony's gang in that meeting, cuz he wanted to trick out Tony. Even Phil's own crew went to other bosses and gave Phil up, it was them that have the info-flow towards the FBI and CIA from whom then this Info goes to Tony via his old enemy and new friend Mister bald cop.

It is possible that other bosses were happy about the conflict between Phil and Tony and were staging both their deaths, or that that guy who went to the toilet just still "loves" Phil. Whatta love they got, some mobsters.

Actually, by the way, the series filming crew had to change
    something with the ending because of complaints of the town of New Jersey which claimed the series would "depict Italian Americans poorly" which is not only totally untrue for the series gives cultivated and critical and well-balanced views about crime and not only "Italian Americans" which is per se a belittling term as is "Afro-Americans", robbing the entitled of their unmixable identity - either they're Italians, Americans or Africans, but there ain't no state of Italy-America or so.

That even this series has to accept criticism from such low levels, when the series itself is dealing a lot with misstates in our society and culture and system.

In America, there is no real freedom of speech anymore.

The truth gets abominated which is that violence should be abominated as should be poverty and capitalism.

Some rich and stupid people can't accept that, their problem.
  • It Is Over.

At first i was in a state of shock, i couldn´t move or let go of the controller i was holding, i didn´t movie in the sofa i was sitting, i didn´t belive what i just saw, i thought that it would continue, that this was a sick joke... later i realized it wouldn´t. I wished icould rewind and watch it again but i couldn´t. My favorite show of all time was over. I stood up and started walking, didn´t know where to go or what to do, then i turnded to normal, and my thoughts was of cource: "Did it realy end like this?" "Is it going to continue after all?". Then it turned to laugh, followed by sadnes, i didn´t want it to end. This was my reactions after the end of the last episode, now after a while i´ve calmed and i think i can write a review. David Chase is directing! for the first time since the first episode and he does it so well, the last scene of cource haunts me still, but i´ve realized it was brilliant and will remain a classic. Maybe it is as they say: "It´s Best To Quit when on top".
  • Life goes on!

I love this ending. I never wanted to see the series end and with this conclusion one can invent their own ending or hope like I do that it continues some day, as a series or a movie perhaps!
    At the beginning of this episode everyone is hiding out in dumpy safe houses, Tony is a marked man, AJ is close to offing himself, and it looks like the final message will be "crime does not pay!" Then in no time at all Tony is more powerful then ever, Carm is happy, the kids are happy, and life is grand again.
    I thought the closing scene was perfect. Life it grand, BUT there are sharks in the water. Any one of the shady characters in the restaurant could have been there to hit Tony, but so could any other character throughout the entire series! Such is life!
  • WTF!!!

7.6
    ok I own every season of the Sopranos and watch them over and over again because I enjoy them so much. I enjoyed the finale up until the end of the episode, i know it got alot of mixed reviews, on one hand people didnt like it because well it sucked, we dont have much to work with, they fade the screen to black just as meadow is joining the family for dinner in a restaurant full of shady people. Fade to Black!!! WTF! Does the family get slaughtered while eating greasy onion rings or do they go about their dinner and leave to live on their own lives!!
  • You can't please everyone.

I've heard all kinds of things said about this episode. I find that most people, however, tend to either really like it or really hate it.

As with all shows the series finale always carries huge expectations both on the part of those involved with making the show as well as the fans. In The Sopranos, we all know that Tony was supposed to be the main focus of the show. All the other characters, events, etc were great but the core premise of the show was to be Tony's behavior and how he interacted with those around him.

As far as "Made in America", In one column there were people who thought Tony should die, and just as many people in another who felt that he should never die. So David Chase took the easy road and tried to do something to please both groups of fans. Well I don't know if it pleased us as much as it did leave us in a state of complete confusion. It forced us to debate the ending for months on end, rewinding and rewatching that same last minute trying to find yet another useless and trivial "clue" as to what really happened.

The ending may not have satisfied everyone, but yet we couldn't stop talking about it.
  • "You won't see it coming, but you know it's out there"...

Phil... says "Hi" to his wife and suddenly, out of nowhere, his life ends, only HE doesn't know. He never knew.
    His screen went black, no sound, no explanation, no nothing.
    End. In the middle of a sentence.

Flash back : where Tony came out of coma, it started by a few seconds of bright white screen, no explanation, nothing, only it went suddenly white, and Tony finally came back to life.

"Since then, every day is a blessing."

So, now, Tony is sitting at a restaurant, waiting for his order, his family, idly looking at the people entering the place, browsing a selection of music titles, life is going on.
    Only, the director gives us plenty of hints : we feel the tension, we feel how every little detail seems to be meaningful, only we are given no clue... Meadow cant park, big deal, why show it at such length? A guy comes in with AJ, why? Who are those two black guys? Why shoulw we know about that same guy going to the men's? How come we are given so many useless details, how come everything is going so slow, and tense...
    And then black out. No sound, no explanation, no nothing, in a middle of a life going on, a full stop. Unexpected.

-----------
    Not much food for thoughts I'd say; it's pretty obvious, only it is not actually shown, and that puts many people off balance.
  • well not bad but expected a lot more.

well here it is the Sopranos finale the last episode the end of an era , what i have to say is after it ended i felt like a vaccum like if something was missing it didnt feel like a finale it felt like any normal episode in the middle of the series , sure a lot of eents took place in the last two episodes but still something was missing . Basically the direction of this episode was to try to show tha live continued unlike other finale not all the main characters are dead or live the happily ever last ending inn this one it shows that live continues like always bringing good and bad thing which is not a common way to end series and moviss . however it is the best realistic way to do it and perhapth the best last final should have felt like a an average episode . so in the end i kinda liked it.
  • It was good

it was an ok episode with somewhat of closiur. everyone has there own thing going on at the end of the episode and i have to say a little dissapoiting. i wish they would have done more to end a popular series like the sopranos. with going into the black and thats it seems a little boring. a good art was when phils face was crushed by the car. and it was a good episode after all. i loved the series and i hate to see it end. i wish something big happened in this episode like i dont know tony dies something.
  • eh...not too impressed

1.6
    eh...not too impressed. Maybe because I didn't watch the show entirely. I started to watch it recently, and I can see why everyone is upset. The ending was hyped up, but I thought there wasn't going to be a "payoff" or whatever everyone thought. The part when tony grabbed the ketchup was pretty funny, but I hope there can be some better episodes in the middle of the series. Maybe tony lives, maybe tony doesn't. That's not what everyone was looking for, but that seems pretty interesting. he's a tough kid! were having a dis about chirstopher colombus. lol what a show
  • Phil meets his end. AJ talks about the future. Meadow plans to wed Patrick Parisi. Tony confronts Junior. Agent Harris does the unthinkable and things are back to normal for Tony: his real family and his crime family....at least

I don't know what everyone is so angry about. "Made In America" is a great episode, sure it isn't the best in the series, but it's a damn good ending I'll tell you that much. What people don't understand is that the ending is free will, instead of seeing if Tony lives or if Tony dies, it let's us determine it for ourselves. And David Chase of course, a man who does not end things neatly or greatly, did what he chose to do. There are many questions in the Sopranos that many have asked but not complained about, and the lateset one: Is Tony Soprano dead? Yes or No. But there are so many other questions left unanswered as well. Will Silvio wake or stay comatose? What is the fate of Janice? Will AJ slip into even more depression? Will Carmela think of leaving Tony once more? What is left of the relationship between Uncle Junior and Tony? Who were the people shown in that diner, and why were they shown? Is that really Nikki Leotardo? Why did Agent Harris give Tony the information in the first place? All these questions are for you to decide and to answer. But some of these questions already have answers.
    We don't know what was going on in Harris' mind. Maybe he didn't want Tony dead. Maybe he didn't want him dead because his years of work trying to put Tony behind bars would go down to waste if Phil had the chance. In my mind, Tony does die. But there isn't a good reason for it. He isn't killed by Phil's men because Butchie and Albie were complaining about the lack of Phil's leadership so they're happy Phil's dead. Nikki Leotardo was Phil's nephew so he probably took it personally as to business wise.
    The cause of the infamous "cut to black" ending? We are looking at the world through Tony's eyes. Just like Bobby said. It's all there. Just watch the final scene again and have your own interpretation. The two African probably were friends of the guys who tried to whack Tony in Season Two. The truck drive is probably related to the guy Christopher robbed in Season Four. The boy scouts in the corner were there at Bobby's killing. Nikki Leotardo is Phil's nephew, and he is wearing a Member's only jacket (the episode of the first episode of Season Six, where many murders and deaths took place). So in my mind, Chase was just having some fun when putting that scene together.
    If you look at the whole Sopranos series, there's no reason to complain. You have 86 great episodes that you could cherish for years to come. The ending shouldn't have you pissed off. It should make you happy that such a great series has finally come to an end, basically now you have an 86-hour movie you could watch. Tony Soprano is a character, and for that many people to be angry is weird. He dies, in my opinion, and that's probably what many people's interpretation is. (He wakes up in the beginning of the episode as if in a coffin, he looks like he's in the last supper in the diner, Meadow parks her car in the third try...there were two trys on Tony's death, so the third is the charm).
    This is a great episode, and my only hope is that people hail it for what it is..
  • Regardless of the great rift - a truly great finale. Tony dies - but not here and now.

Alright. Let's lean back for a while. The screen just went black, cutting off Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" on a rather unpleasant, or should I say, unsatisfying note. Just prior to that, we had the pleasure of watching Tony and the Sopranos gathering for a family diner at some restaurant that never before appeared. They all come in one by one, Tony being the first and Meadow, due to some parallel parking problems (wait a second - that American teen girl cliché hasn't been used throughout the whole series - they do it NOW?) the last, although never being shown coming in. In front of AJ, a suspicious looking guy enters, sits at the counter and later goes to the bathroom - Michael Corleone, anyone? Granted, this episode has been bloody. Phil Leotardo has met a bloody and cruelly satisfying end and throughout the past episode we have seen many of our favourite characters fall one by one - Chris, Bobby, Sal (who is in a coma, but does not seem to be out of that any time soon) - but Tony survived, at least until this point.

But did he die? Or what happened just when the door opens for the last time? Many people have tried to associate the famous assassination-scene from the first Godfather-Movie with this. But there are a few things wrong with that theory. If the guy at the counter wanted to whack Tony, he didn't need to hide the gun in the bathroom as, unlike Michael Corleone, he probably was not subject to an extensive search for weapons. The other people coming in - we see Tony looking up every time rather quickly, as if he was somewhat nervous, but every time the people coming in turn out to be harmless civilians. So what do we make out of this? What do we make out of Bobby's quote that was just recalled during exactly the same screen time one episode ago? "You don't hear it when it happens", he said, referring to death, or rather, dieing. Perhaps, when Meadow enters the restaurant, Tony starts to die. Not in the common sense of dropping dead, but in the sense of aging. He is back in the seat, in charge. Things have been resolved. Over the course of seven years, Tony has risen from Capo to Boss. He has eliminated all his enemies and troublesome friends. His family is back together. Meadow has found her call in law school. AJ has recovered from depression and, although still complaining, is going for the half-shady movie business Christopher Moltisanti -Tony's self-chosen replacement son and heir, basically- also favoured. Carmella, well, she seems somewhat content with their family back in line and Tony, as stated above, is sitting perfectly safe now - except for that little indictment which, we are sure, he might handle as well.

Now he is ready to grow old, like three bosses (Jackie Aprile, Sr., Junior Soprano, Johnny Sacrimony) did as well over the course of the series.

Thus, I must give one thing to the assassination-theory: the crucial hint is in the often referred-to episode "Members Only". But it is not Bobby's monologue about a rapid death. It is not the fact that the series plays with music cutting off at the moment of someone's death several times (Chris, for example), it is that this episode is the one where Tony remarks "I'm growing old."

And this will happen. He will, just like his predecessors and equals in New York, grow old and die in a hospital bed. Age has been a predominant theme throughout The Sopranos, and as far as I am concerned, this is another logical explanation to this ending.

I have seen a lot of great TV series ending. But in this one, David Chase does not cut the lights as JMS did in Babylon 5. We do not see an all-concluding massacre. We are not presented with an amalgamation of flashbacks.
    We see "The Sopranos", not the Soprano crew, having dinner together. And we remember, taking into consideration the one or the other of the things I stated above: this family, not the mob, is the focus of this series, as we stare along, apalled and shocked to see the credits roll silent.
  • Focus on family...the perfect way to end the series

The Sopranos was always best when it was about family. This is a perfect ending, only surpassed by the season 1 finale. I think those that disliked the episode miss this point. They've gotten too wrapped up in the violence and profanity and have forgotten that the Sopranos is a family drama. Leaving us to think about the characters as a family was a terrific conclusion. How else could it have ended? Everyone could have been whacked or sent to witness protection, or some other canned ending that wraps the whole saga up, but where's the art or drama in that? That would have been the easy-way-out, hollywood, disappointment of an ending. The way it was done left a much richer feeling for the loyal viewers, returning to "family" as the key theme of the program.
  • Phil gets whacked; the family goes on even towards an extended black screen

Throughout the run of the series, the backbone has always been the family and Tony's relationship with Melfi. Last week, the Melfi relationship was resolved as she dumped him as a client. This week, we saw the family front and center. Despite the shootings and killings, the family still supports each other and accepts what daddy does for a living. It's obvious that you either loved or hated this finale. Interestingly, had the black screen at the and been accompanied with a barrage of bullet sounds for 10-15 seconds, everyone would have raved about what a great finale it was. But that's not David Chase or what he's done over the course of the series. Nice neat bows and neat endings were not going to happen. This was Chase's vision and it was a great one. The more I think about it, the more I like the ending. The tension while the Journey song was playing was incredible. Is there anyone who waan't at the edge of their seat watching the suspicious character in the diner and even Meadow's botched attemptto park her car? Think about it - great ending! Did you really want the entire family assasinated? By the way, GREAT whacking of Phil, the whole scene.
  • "My price is you help us get a location of Phil."- Tony "I can't go there, but you do what you gotta do."- Butch

I don't know what to say about this episode besides that it did in fact clear up situations the fans really wanted to be cleared up. Or at least the ones I wanted cleared up.

These are the common rumors floating around and they can easily be dismissed.

(Stated anonymously)
    Theory No. 1 "Chase is using the final scene to place the viewer into Tony's mindset. This is how he sees the world: every open door, every person walking past him could be coming to kill him, or arrest him, or otherwise harm him or his family. This is his life, even though the paranoia's rarely justified. We end without knowing what Tony's looking at because he never knows what's coming next."

Theory No. 2: "In the scene on the boat in "Soprano Home Movies," repeated again last week, Bobby Bacala suggests that when you get killed, you don't see it coming. Certainly, our man in the Members Only jacket could have gone to the men's room to prepare for killing Tony, and the picture and sound cut out because Tony's life just did. (Or because we, as viewers, got whacked from our life with the show.)"

In the first theory, although more acceptable than the second, I can look at this as a fairly correct concept considering it was left open to the ideas that anything was possible. To disprove the second theory, there is no evidence that the guy that was staring at Tony had anything to do with with storyline. He was not in any other episodes or tied with any family, so therefore we cannot assume he was out to kill Tony. As far as Bobby B.'s statement about never "seeing it coming", it can be applied to his case where he never saw his death coming. Possibly because he happened to miss the warning call from Sil.

My favorite part was the final meeting between Tony and Corrado, in which Tony finally realized the state in which Carrado was in. Tony couldnt help but feel a bit of sorrow for his uncle, as well as a loss of himself. As far as the ending goes, I hope a movie is underway in the next 10 years with A.J takin over and Sil is out of the coma. But that is something us fans will hope for but we ll never know until the day comes. After watching the episode 10 times, I enjoy the mystery that the ending leaves us viewers with. Bravo David Chase and friends, for a series I will miss. The greatest series of all time. Now I have nothing to watch on T.V.
  • Not the best Series Finale

This episode was actually not THAT bad, but considering it's a SERIES finale, I consider it to be a bit of a let down. I've heard reviewers give their perception of the writer's intent. However, those reviewers are NOT the writers, so to me all of that is useless and irrelevant. If this is supposed to be a SERIES finale, then the writing fell waaay short of my expectations. I loved the build up at the end with the suspense building as Meadow tries repeatedly to park her car. The final scene was well drawn out and had me on the edge of my seat just waiting for the big boom-no matter WHAT it was. One reviewer said that because of what Bobby said about when death comes, that we were seeing from Tony's point of view and when it went black that was because Tony is dead. Hmmmm. While that sounds interesting and could be the author's intent, I first don't give a rat's *ss about Tony's point of view because I am not Tony Soprano and I as a viewer would like to know what the hell happened-and second, what do you imagine they did to him to make him IMMEDIATELY black out? Even if they shot him in the head, there was no sign from ANYONE that the guy came back out of the restroom and approached the table or any of the other guys for that matter. He was being VERY observant so there's no way even from Tony's point of view that he would notice NOTHING and just black out. So if anything happened, it happend AFTER Meadow entered the diner, and if that IS the case, then they just didn't let us see what happened and sold us short. Sure, we can make excuses and use our imaginations but ...WhY SHOULD WE HaVE TO?!! I think this was just a cheap shot and a way to leave the story open in case they have an opportunity for a movie deal. I'm not going to let the writers off the hook and start making my OWN ending up and I wish others would stop doing the same because you don't know for sure. What if actually Tony gets a bad feeling and gets his family out of there before anything has a chance to pop off? Can you tell me that this did NOT happen? Of course not! So guess all you want. But I think if the writers and producers want credit for a brilliant Series Finale, then they should have had the balls to go for it and not cop-out with a lame blackout and count on some people like some of those aforementioned reviewers to do it for them. And if for some reason there IS a Sopranos movie in the future, they don't have to take responsibility for peoples' assumptions. Very Poor Ending for a Series Finale.
  • This series has been an original from the beginning...David Chase ended it as such.

In the hands of a lesser writer, the Soprano family would have been executed at that diner. However, many of us wanted the family we have come to know and love, despite their many failings, to go on. We were allowed that fantasy with the black-out. The penultimate episode provided the most blood letting which was appropriate. Phil Leotardo's demise was particularly satisfying for fans. I, for one, was elated in seeing him get it rather than Tony.

Well done!
  • This was the series finale?

All that I can say is that the 2 episodes leading up to the finale were 10 times better that this one! With the exception of Phil getting offed and the weird final sequence before the screen went black, it was like a mid-season filler episode. All this build up and then after one quick meeting with Phil's people the New York/New Jersey war arc is over and Tony's moving back into the house? In on episode Anthony goes from weeping and depressed, to serious Army recruit, to happy go lucky film assistant? When the episode started there was all this tension then they just release all the tension for the entire episode, then tried to bring it back at the end? I don't get it!
< 1 2 3 4 5