The Sopranos

Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood

Aired Unknown Mar 04, 2001 on HBO

• notice the writing

You gotta admire the structure of an episode like this, especially in a premier, where the story gets reversed and is told from the perspective of the antagonist (the cops), rendering the usual protagonist (Tony) object, not subject. I was surprised that I rooted for the cops. The plot--with the feds bugging the Sopranos' place--also allows the show's writers to balance this new point of view with character development for each Soprano. That's just good writing. Possibly suspenseful too, if I hadn't been so irrelevantly tired while watching it.
  • Review

I think it was a really good comeback episode coming off of season two as David Chase has all ready given us the overall theme for season three - Tony versus the cops who are trying to take him down. I have a feeling this is going to be a very strong season, now that we are used to Tony being in power and writing how cops deal with bad guys is something that isn't the hardest to write about. Meadow being away at college means that we won't have to follow much of her storyline this year and Anthony Jr seems to have changed a lot since we saw him last in season two. This episode focused pretty hevay on the cops and less heavy on the mafia side of things, but obviously we know that will change in the episodes to come. I was happy to see the FBI agents get the wiretap into the basement. I think it would have been a waste of an episode to just have the Sopranos move the lamp after it was all said and done. Overall though, I think this was a very strong comeback episode and am looking very much so to the rest of the season.
  • Nice start of a new season.

This episode is a little different than previous season premiers. This one has more of the other side namely the FBI. The way they have to play by the rules and Tony doesn't. Everything from getting a court order to timing deploying the listening devices, this even includes giving code names to each of the family members. I like the little plot twists with Tony, Patsy and the FBI. The way the FBI hands are tied in terms of stepping in stopping a possible crime and revealing their cover. In the end it worked out for them, sort term anyways. The fruits of their labor has yet to be revealed.