The Sopranos

Proshai, Livushka

Aired Unknown Mar 04, 2001 on HBO

• The memorial sequence!

That wake is perhaps the best sequence in the series I've seen so far (and the DVD skipped right in the climax! As this enterprise dies, I say good riddance). Once again Christopher comes through with the biggest laugh. Episode MVPs, neither of whom are listed above, are Aida Turturro as Janice, whose vanity here reaches a surprising high, and Edie Falco as Carmela.
  • Tony's fear that his mother Livia will testify against him dies when she does. Ignoring Livia's wishes not to have a funeral, Janice plans a grandiose send off. However, at the Sopranos home after the funeral, all does not go as Janice envisioned.

This episode is probably my favorite of the series. We, as viewers, know that there was always a great deal of resentment towards Livia, but now we finally get to hear it at the last possible opportunity for all to hear. You really get a sense that you are not watching actors reading lines but you are a witness to actual events which is what makes the episode so great. Seeing and listening to everybody's reaction to Livia's death is just mesmerizing and makes the episode well worth seeing. Carmela's rant at the gathering scene is truly a Sopranos classic.

• Review

7.7
    One of the worst episodes of the series to date and it comes at a very surprising time. There were a couple of episodes in season one that were below average, but you had to settle into the storylines of the show. Season two got me really into the show with the fresh storylines and the great new characters introduced. The season three opening got us started in the right direction, but this episode was a real let down. Let me also start off by saying that I know David Chase had to re-write a lot of the script after Livia Sopranos character passed away in between season two and season three, but even so this entire episode was very poorly done. They make an entire episode about a character that no one really liked, which don't get me wrong was the point of her character, but I still dont understand the logic. The entire episode felt very boring ad drawn out. No real mafia problem in the episode to deal with and while they did acknowledge the cops outside in the van they really didn't do anything else with it like they did in the first episode. I had a lot of high hopes for season three and hopefully the next episode gets it back on the right track. But this episode was just very poorly executed in every way.
  • Another solid episode.

While the show portrayed Tony's mother Livia a bit old and senile, I didn't expect them to kill her off. Even in death she still torments Tony. The one character that seems to always irritate Tony besides his mother is his sister Janice. Her new lifestyle and beliefs doesn't help the situation any either. Her views result in a nice verbal exchange with the whole family. To make matters worse Meadow's new boyfriend doesn't help the situation any more. This was a fun episode to watch because it shows Tony's bigotry when it comes to his daughter regardless of her feelings on the matter.