The Sopranos

Second Opinion

Aired Unknown Apr 08, 2001 on HBO

• Edie Falco's finest hour, and that's saying a LOT!

When I was in a psych. class in college, a professor showed us this episode as an example of "reality therapy." As I watched, I kept thinking to myself "who the hell is this amazing actress??" I had never seen the show. It made me a devoted fan, and Falco is at the center of the episode; her scene in the college dorm, waiting for Meadow (all depressed), and her electric moment, when the Dr. says her husband works for the Mafia and she crumbles, are sublime. I was astonished by her acting abilities in this. The other stories, about Junior's doctor problems, etc. are fairly weak, but luckily they are sidelined for the main story, which is Carmella's depression and inability to know how to handle it.
    Hands down one of my all time favorite episodes and performances, in a series filled with many masterpieces. If you haven't seen it in a while, rewatch that scene with Carmella and the psychiatrist, and just watch how Falco works that scene so well, to reveal so many emotions. It's magic. Oh, and this episode earned her her second of three emmys. Many thought Bracco had it with "employee of the month" (the rape episode), but they chose the correct winner, bc Falco's diverse emotions are on full display. Enjoy.