The Sopranos

The Ride

Aired Unknown May 07, 2006 on HBO

• Imagery symbolism

There were some very interesting recurring themes in this episode which seem to be propelling us into the last three shows of this part of the final season. The most obvious theme is the one of Boredom. We all knew that Tony would eventually come to terms with his \"every day is a gift\" motto versus his normal way of doing business. He talks of this frustration with Melfi in this episode and shows how he is struglling with this new concept. Boredom is also evident in Christopher\'s falling off the Wagon.
    Also, and more importantly,We have the Recurring Autmn symbolism and the inevitable downward spiral that the show will take before we get to the finale. As Tony and Christopher are basking in the spoils of their surreptitious thivery (a cure for Boredom) Tony talks about the smell in the air and Christopher concurs saying it reminds him of Halloween. (christopher is about to take off is figurative mask and give in to his primal addictions) They then give us what we all have been waiting for-they dealt with Adrianna\'s death. Autumn is also referenced by Carmella at the Fair when she notes how cold the weather is getting (also note that this is right before she sees Adrianna\'s mother which ignites her suspicions). And in the final scen we are left looking at pauly through and open window with some autmn leaves in the foreground. The writers are clearly telling us that we are heading into the winter of the series and colder more brutal times are ahead. With Adrianna\'s Death, now coming back to haunt Tony, Christopher giving into his old demons, trouble with the New York Family, and Vito (the trigger man on Jackie Jr.\'s murder) having a Gay\'ol time in New Hampshire, it seems like everything is coming to a head. Might that vision of Tony holding his niece one of the final moments of joy we see?
    Teh show has always been about Tony making peace with his job and his real family. It seems like after the shooting he was taking a step away from all of his usual sins (Not cheating on Carmella, having people from outside the family Kill Rusty, denying his involvement with Rusty\'s Murder to phil etc..). When all his sins come to the surface and Carmella and Meadow end up seeing his Seemy underbelly (imagery again!) Tony will either fully embrace his innate sociopath or give in to his Father/husband obligations
  • "You should really go and see something about your problem. Like a narcotics annoymous clinic or somethin"- Chrissy

What an episode tonite, everyone is outta control. Bobby is getting a little power hungry and Janice's manipulation is at the root of it yet again. We can definetly see Janice trying to get Bobby up to a position under Tony which can only mean "two things" (More Money and more Respect). Sadly but it was pretty inevitable that Chrissy would get hooked, back on that crank, due to his weakness that makes him equal in intelligence to A.J. I would like to thank the director for the job well done on the flashback scene of the moment Chrissy came to confess to Tony about Adrianna. That made Adrianna fans happy everywhere, however i could care less cause she deserved to go. Also for the hilarious part of where we first see Chrissy struggling to restrain himself from using heroin but ends up using anyway and does nothing at the carnival for hours.
    Carmella's run into Adrianna's mom just opened up some new wounds as to Carmella finally getting the full picture as to the lies that run throughout the family about "missing friends and family members". I predict her doing things on the "sly" as a form of spite against Tony for keeping her out of the loop. Paulie now realizes he has no one to go to besides his mom and may look at things differently from now on and may rid of pettyiness. But then again thats what we love about Paulie. Bravo David Chase
  • The Sopranos: Episode 74: "The Ride"- Thought it was action packed from what I can see in the previews... but it was still a great episode. (Spoiler Alert)

At first, I thought \"The Ride\" would be an episode filled with gunshots and fighting from what I could see from the previews. Even though it was more about character development, it was still a good episode. Tony and Christopher realize that they have a great bond with each other. Carmela questioning about what happened to Adriana and Tony convincing her that Christopher didn\'t kill her. Christopher getting married to Kelly (who we are introduced to for the first time and which was kind of sudden) and her pregnancy. Christopher taking heroin again. Paulie developing conflict with Bobby after the ride incident. Paulie\'s biopsy determining if he\'s got prostate cancer. I thought that the Virgin Mary appearing to Paulie and him returning to Nucci was funny. \"The Ride\" was another great episode of the sixth season. Still, there are three episodes left for more greater episodes.
  • WOW Terrific

An announcement from Christopher surprises people. Paulie's cost-cutting at an Italian street fair comes at its own cost. An old-school heist invigorates Tony. Carmela is given reason to doubt that Adriana 'disappeared.'The heroin injection scence with Christopher is my favourite scene in the whole series and it is very sad at what has happened in chris' life. Chris has had bad feelings towards tony since adriana La Cervas whacking and the guilt of her death ( along with a lot of other things) drives him back to his addiction.
    The other stuff on this episode is usual good sopranos stuff but you don't really remember that well after i happens. Overall top episode for season 6a
  • Great view into the bonding experiences of Tony and Christopher.

As for the episode, it was another brilliant delve into Tony Soprano's life, his family and his "family." Notice the episode transition. One week we see A.J's banality as the son of Anthony Soprano, family man. This week, we see Christopher's strugging futility as being Tony Soprano, mob boss's son.

The point of tonight's episode has a unique focus. The acceptance of maturation and owning up to the pressure of your patriarchmatriach. Christopher has in a flash married, started a family, and built a house. And in that same time frame, he has sunk back into addiction. Why? Because deep down he hates the fact that he has to own up to Tony Soprano. He resents the pressure of having to have that giant house, the great kids, the influence and respect. But he risks everything to keep that lifestyle and stay on that path. Remember when Adriana confessed to him about her FBI involvement? He was seriously considering tagging along with her until he saw Joe Schmoe and his mullet. From his script writing, his movie adventures with Ben Kingsley, and Adriana, he has had outs to the life that Tony expects him to have. Tony wants Christopher to be his "family" son, and wants A.J. to be his regular family son. It's going to crash and burn, badly.

Carmella won't find out about Adriana in reality. I predict she will have a dream sequence similar to Tony's dreams and her teaser in "Members Only" talking to Ade. She has to realize that both Tony B. and Adriana disappeared within two days from one another.

910.
  • In the heart-breaking, tragic yet brilliant episode of The Sopranos, Christopher and Tony bond, Paulie and Bobby fight, Ade's mother confronts Carmela, Paulie finds out he has cancer and Christopher sadly gets on the junk again and announces he is getting

WOW! What an incredibly written episode. Leave it to Terence Winter (Long Term Parking, Pine Barrens) to give us this startling realistic episode that may not have as much action as most episodes but certainly packs a powerful emotional punch straight to the gut. I loved the Tony and Christopher storyline, them bonding and knocking off that wine robbery (which may come back to haunt Tony and/or Christopher). It was shocking and excellent to see that scene finally where Christopher reveals to Tony in sobs that Ade is working with the Feds, a scene originally cut out from last season's stellar 'Long Term Parking'. Christopher's sudden marriage announcement is peculiar and I felt he was trying to be something he is not. He loved Adriana, but doesn't love this girl, he just wants a child. Christopher creeping back into bad old habits, like shooting up junk with Corky was hard to watch but astounding none-the-less. The whole festival Paulie/Bobby thing was hysterical, and I thought it was all the more funny that Janice forced Bobby to react violently with Paulie and the "broken" ride manager. The drama queen and sneaky little ****, Janice, is at it again. Perhaps the most thrilling moment of the episode was when Adriana's mother full of sobs confronts Carmela telling her, Adriana's dead. Carmela says, why? Adriana's mother tells her Christopher killed her. Carmela is shocked with disbelief, but slowly starts to consider it as a possible outcome. The most subtle scene of the episode, was the ending, Paulie semi-reconciling with his mother, by coming into her apartment silently, and watching PBS proramming with her. This episode didn't have the most BOOMS and BANGS, and wasn't the finest of Soprano episodes, but it was in many ways a reminder of why we watch 'The Sopranos'. My Rating: 9.5/10
  • Something Very Very Very Important To \"The Sopranos\" Is Missing...

this episode was well written in perception of the cleverly used flashback & imagery symbolism. its definitely a strategy of the plot to depict the 'boredom' factor faced by tony & chris in contrast with the downhill spiral of the progressive episodes. i have no doubt that the season & show finale will be outstanding, but at the moment it feels like a vital genre of the show is missing... where IS the vIoLeNce, MaSs pRoFaNitY, CliPpiNg, WhAcKiNg, BruTaLiTy, aUtHoRiTy & the beloved iMmOrAL CoMeDy?!?! these factors which the sopranos was once full of made the show what it is (masterpiece) and i know for a fact that every1 loved it as it has everything that keeps mob fans entertained. i cant wait for the season finale and i hope it has all the violence and mob "stuff" that it used to...
  • Is it just me or is Paulie stealing the show this season?

Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me.Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me. Not a review, just agree or disagree with me.

Sorry, the review had to be 100 words long.
  • What happened to the other 45 minutes?

The show started out pretty good with all being as it is to find out that Christopher was a Daddy to be, and then upped and married his girlfriend was a surprise, but a good one. Chris and Tony's trip that was also a highlight of the show, with the ripping off of the Vipers take, to the flashback sequence filled with a detailed understanding of the conversation between Tony and Christopher about Adrianna and the FBI. See that conversation take place really added a great dynamic to that episode in which Adrianna was "Whacked". But, then the show just became dull to watch for a show about mobsters we're getting more of a soap opera then a mob show. Don't misunderstand me i know that normal life things such as personal relationships and so forth are an intrigual part of the show, yet I am still at a loss with the direction "The Family" is going in. There are issues out there that have been overlooked. Paulie, and Jason the Garbage Heir, one would figure this to come back and bite him by now, or something to come up, yet it's dismissed all this time never to be hinted to whatsoever. The Vito storyline that has been the central portion of the last few episodes, nothing? Junior, and "The A.J. Incident", forgotten? The Mob Family, Politicians, The FBI, what's going on. For a show leading up to its end this episode did very little to forward the storyline, and even felt a bit like "Filler" to me. Don't misunderstand me I am a fan of "The Soprano's, but the season is 3/4 of the way through and I am still a bit dismayed hoping for a more grounded storyline dealing more with "The Family" and the direction of it then everyday life at home. Well 3 more episodes to go, and then 8 after that, so maybe they're just saving it up for the last 8 while setting it up with the next 3, I hope. Take care.

Peace To All.