The Spectacular Spider-Man

Catalysts

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 26, 2008 on Disney XD

• On the night of the Midtown High Fall Formal, Peter Parker and his date Mary Jane Watson, enjoy the night. But when the Green Goblin tries to eliminate Tombstone, will Spider-Man be willing to take on this new challenge at the price of his date?

This episode surprised me in many ways, not just the appearance of the Green Goblin, but the stunning ways this episode was well plotted, animated and written. As this episode continues from "The Invisible Hand", Peter and MJ are at Fall Formal. Meanwhile, Harry tries to make himself known with the A-Listers. However, Glorie Grant happens to unknowingly dump him and get back together with Kenny Kong. Seeing Harry's expression on his face when he saw his girlfriend cheat on him made me sad, and also puzzled me when they showed him drinking the "Gobulin Green" serum. Although, it's highly doubtful that Harry would become the Goblin before his father, since this show so far has been keeping it to the comics as much as possible.

Green Goblin was just freaking awesome. When I had first seen his designs, I wasn't quite sure how he would turn out. But Steven Blum changed my mind after hearing his voicework with his insane laugh. Great dialogue for this incarnation. Probably some of the best quotes where when GG was fighting Spidey for the first time and convincing him to join alongside him. Perfect use of Goblin's insane personality with the voice. Bravo, Mister Blum!

As for the other appearances:

-Gwen Stacy & Eddie Brock
    I thought they made a cute couple at the dance. Gwen jumps to conclusions that Peter lied to her about not coming, while Eddie's looking angry as ever. (I sense more tension between him and Peter, and Venom buildup coming...)

-J.J.J. & John Jameson
    Ah, the first good look at John Jameson. More hints at the upcoming Venom arc as J.J.J. mentions about him piloting a space shuttle mission. Good use from the 1994 series. Hopefully, we'll see more of him soon. As for J. Jonah Jameson, still brilliant work for his character: the loving father of John and the yappy dog-like, time pinching Bugle owner. Old J.J.J. has taken a spot as one of my fave characters in this incarnation as being the comic relief. (1994's Jameson ties up with Spectacular's anytime.)

-Ned Lee
    A brief appearance, but a hint of what's happening with the Hobgoblin storyline with him. His investigation about Spider-Man's identity will be interesting once it starts to surface.

-Mary Jane Watson
    Still growing used to her character, but it's only been one full episode with her, so we'll see later how that clears up. Do I sense a school transfer in the future? Loved how what she did to anger April after dancing with Randy. April's face was priceless...

-Otto Octavius
    A very brief scene with him, but good foreshadowing of what's to become of his transformation into Doc Ock. "Look at yourself, Otto. You're afraid of your own shadow..." Otto's confidence is definitely going to grow in the next episode: "Reaction". I can't wait!

Other things:

-Animation
    As always, absolutely brilliant. GG and Spider-Man's fight scenes was especially the best of it all. Best scene was probably when GG did an awesome mind blowing backflip over a skyscraper in mid air and landed right back onto his Goblin Glider with no problems. With this being seen, Spider-Man responds, totally baffled: "Okay, wow. Just wow." Well said, Spidey...

-Writing
    Totally excellent. Again, Green Goblin stole the show with some of the best lines:
    "What I want is your undying loyalty...or the dying kind."
    "Just the special fire and brimstone pumpkin bomb I left as a present for our Mister Lincoln. Any minute now, the creme de la creme of New York City is going to paint the town red! Well, the ballroom, anyway..."

However, Spidey's snappy quips are good too, especially with his one that made me laugh so hard:
    "Sorry, I make it a rule not to partner with anyone green...or, you know, PSYCHOTIC."

There are still links to be tied that leave viewers at the edge of their seat until next week:

-Just who is the identity of the mysterious Green Goblin? Norman or Harry Osborn? -Will Tombstone confront Norman Osborn after tracing the Green Goblin's technology back to Oscorp?
    -How did Harry steal the "Gobulin Green" formula from Oscorp?
    -Will Gwen and Eddie confront Peter about what happened at the dance?
    -And will MJ become Peter's girlfriend?

---

After all that, great episode. Stay tuned for next week for Doc Ock's big appearance! (I know I will...)