The Spectacular Spider-Man Forums

Disney XD (ended 2009)

Disney XD announces

melbye80

[1]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 33

a TV-version of Ultimate Spider-Man to air fall 2011. Guess that means this show is done

http://tv.ign.com/articles/108/1083412p1.html

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Twisted-Alien

[2]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 73
    Yeah, there would be no point of having to new Spider-Man shows on XD, especially if Ultimate will cover the same scenario as Spectacular. But to be honest, I'm glad they're ending Spectacular. The first season was good, and during some points it was great, but the second season was horrible and the quality went down. It had promise, but the series was going downhill fast. At least it didn't end on too bad of a note.

Anyways, I'll be glad to see the animation of the new series. Spectacular's animation was too basic and cartoony, and because of that I couldn't take half the stuff seriously. I hope Ultimate goes back to the 90s style of animation, but a little more fluent. And I'll be glad to see some of the Ultimate storylines, since so many people have been saying how good it is, that and the "team-ups" are going to be nice to see again.

GamerSlyRatchet

[3]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 4

Twisted-Alien wrote:
    Yeah, there would be no point of having to new Spider-Man shows on XD, especially if Ultimate will cover the same scenario as Spectacular. But to be honest, I'm glad they're ending Spectacular. The first season was good, and during some points it was great, but the second season was horrible and the quality went down. It had promise, but the series was going downhill fast. At least it didn't end on too bad of a note.

Anyways, I'll be glad to see the animation of the new series. Spectacular's animation was too basic and cartoony, and because of that I couldn't take half the stuff seriously. I hope Ultimate goes back to the 90s style of animation, but a little more fluent. And I'll be glad to see some of the Ultimate storylines, since so many people have been saying how good it is, that and the "team-ups" are going to be nice to see again.

I'm sorry, but unless the new show has a ridiculous amount of money in it, it's not going to be fluid if it's as detailed as the 90's show. Those are cold, hard facts.

Say what you will about Spectacular's art direction, but the animation was complex and fluid, not clumsy and cheap like the 90's show.

Twisted-Alien

[4]Apr 14, 2010

GamerSlyRatchet wrote:

I'm sorry, but unless the new show has a ridiculous amount of money in it, it's not going to be fluid if it's as detailed as the 90's show. Those are cold, hard facts.

Say what you will about Spectacular's art direction, but the animation was complex and fluid, not clumsy and cheap like the 90's show.

Avatar The Last Airbender's animation was both detailed and fluid, even more so in some cases than Spectacular, so it can be done. Besides, Spectacular's animation looked like slightly improved stick-figure looking characters. What was worse was the city and every other location. It just way too basic. Making the fight scenes better does not justify having to watch the rest of the show that way. I'd rather watch the 60s version, at least the jokes were funnier. I woud rather have Ultimate be detailed and a little less fluid than to have this again.

And it looks like the clumsy and cheap 90s version will last longer than Spectacular, so what's you're point?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this new show. I've never read the Ultimate series, so I'm sure I'll be surprised with some of the show's aspects and I'm looking forward to seeing what the villains look like. Hopefully, they give Venom a better storyline than before

bob2282

[5]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 12

Tom Brevoort of Marvel officially announcedtoday that the show is cancelled in favor of the ultimate storyline in 2011. sorry guys

GamerSlyRatchet

[6]Apr 14, 2010

Twisted-Alien wrote:

GamerSlyRatchet wrote:

Avatar The Last Airbender's animation was both detailed and fluid, even more so in some cases than Spectacular, so it can be done. Besides, Spectacular's animation looked like slightly improved stick-figure looking characters. What was worse was the city and every other location. It just way too basic. Making the fight scenes better does not justify having to watch the rest of the show that way. I'd rather watch the 60s version, at least the jokes were funnier. I woud rather have Ultimate be detailed and a little less fluid than to have this again.

And it looks like the clumsy and cheap 90s version will last longer than Spectacular, so what's you're point?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this new show. I've never read the Ultimate series, so I'm sure I'll be surprised with some of the show's aspects and I'm looking forward to seeing what the villains look like. Hopefully, they give Venom a better storyline than before

But Avatar's designs are not as hyper-detailed as the 90's show, and had a larger budget.

And the 90's show lasting longer was due to a legal, corporate aberration and not due to actual quality, so what's YOUR point?

SR71halo

[7]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 5

This show wasn't canceled because it is a bad show or inferior to the 90's cartoon, it's because of copy right issues. Disney buying Marvel ****ed this show over, unfortunately.

Edited on 04/15/2010 5:21am

joeybrandojones

[8]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 13
    Do they know what happens in the end of Ultimate(unless of course that didn't happen...did it, I always felt like he would be fine but never really got back to see it)?

2011 is way to late though, would have been better if they announced that they already started with production of it

Twisted-Alien

[9]Apr 15, 2010

GamerSlyRatchet wrote:

But Avatar's designs are not as hyper-detailed as the 90's show, and had a larger budget.

And the 90's show lasting longer was due to a legal, corporate aberration and not due to actual quality, so what's YOUR point?

Avatar was super detailed compared to Spectacular. Not just character wise, but location and background wise too. Spectacular was too basic and it looked like a coloring book, there were hardly any variation of colors, at least none that stood out to me. So, I hope Ultimate will look at least a little better than Spectacular. And besides, don't you think the combination of Disney and Marvel will give this new series a decent budget to work with?

My point is that Spectacular still didn't last as long. If it were as amazing and groundbreaking, and successful, as everyone here thinks then don't you think they would have found some way of keeping it? Even in the link above it said if Spectacular were to continue Marvel would have to step in and take complete control, which they didn't and to be honest, I don't blame them. As stated before on this forum, the dvd sales and season two finale ratings would have helped out with this, but obviously it must not have been good enough to warrant bringing it back.

SpaceWay2007

[10]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 11
    I'm disappointed that this series got canceled, but at least we had two great seasons. I just hope the new series will be good or better than TSSM. I'll give the series a chance. It's too bad, TSSM had great potential.

JusticeLeaguer

[11]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 61
    Yeah, I'm sad to see the show go.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/33233/no-returns-for-spectacular-spider-man-or-wolverine-amp-the-x-men

GamerSlyRatchet

[12]Apr 15, 2010

Twisted-Alien wrote:

Avatar was super detailed compared to Spectacular. Not just character wise, but location and background wise too. Spectacular was too basic and it looked like a coloring book, there were hardly any variation of colors, at least none that stood out to me. So, I hope Ultimate will look at least a little better than Spectacular. And besides, don't you think the combination of Disney and Marvel will give this new series a decent budget to work with?

My point is that Spectacular still didn't last as long. If it were as amazing and groundbreaking, and successful, as everyone here thinks then don't you think they would have found some way of keeping it? Even in the link above it said if Spectacular were to continue Marvel would have to step in and take complete control, which they didn't and to be honest, I don't blame them. As stated before on this forum, the dvd sales and season two finale ratings would have helped out with this, but obviously it must not have been good enough to warrant bringing it back.

I liked the art style for Spectacular. It felt fresh and original, and not a re-hash of something like Bruce Timm's art, or ripped straight from the comics. I really wouldn't mind a new art style for the new show, AS LONG as it's as fluid as Spectacular. They really nailed it when it came to action sequences. Besides, I care more for good stories, excellent character development, sharp dialogue, and a responsible use of the Spidey mythos, which Spectacular had. Even if I still strongly disagree on Disney/Marvel's decision, I hope the new show is good.

And great shows have been cancelled before their time. Ask any Whedon fan about that. Spectacular was cancelled because of executive stupidity, and even if it were the second coming of Christ on television, it still would have been cancelled. Sometimes, unfortunately, quality does not matter in decisions like that.

Twisted-Alien

[13]Apr 15, 2010

GamerSlyRatchet wrote:

I liked the art style for Spectacular. It felt fresh and original, and not a re-hash of something like Bruce Timm's art, or ripped straight from the comics. I really wouldn't mind a new art style for the new show, AS LONG as it's as fluid as Spectacular. They really nailed it when it came to action sequences. Besides, I care more for good stories, excellent character development, sharp dialogue, and a responsible use of the Spidey mythos, which Spectacular had. Even if I still strongly disagree on Disney/Marvel's decision, I hope the new show is good.

And great shows have been cancelled before their time. Ask any Whedon fan about that. Spectacular was cancelled because of executive stupidity, and even if it were the second coming of Christ on television, it still would have been cancelled. Sometimes, unfortunately, quality does not matter in decisions like that.

Well, I agree the fight scenes were good and very fluid, but it was just distracting to me during the non-action scenes. In fact, when the show first came out there were several people who were turned off because of it. Like I said, I'd like a different art style, something like the 90s version, but I also would like to see it be more fluid than the 90s version, even if it isn't super detailed. I also care for what you listed as well, which is why I like the 90s version so well. Spectacular had a good start with the first season, sure I'll admit that, but season two fell apart for me.

Like you said, even though TSSM was cancelled I'm not going to let it affect my viewing of the new series. I hope it's good and hopefully it will last long, which I'm sure it will since the movies are going to be re-bootedaroundthe same time, so maybe those two will compliment each other. And just to throw it out there, I hope they get Mark Hamil for the Hobgoblin, or if not the Green Goblin.

im4spoons

[14]Apr 16, 2010

Twisted-Alien wrote:

GamerSlyRatchet wrote:

Well, I agree the fight scenes were good and very fluid, but it was just distracting to me during the non-action scenes. In fact, when the show first came out there were several people who were turned off because of it. Like I said, I'd like a different art style, something like the 90s version, but I also would like to see it be more fluid than the 90s version, even if it isn't super detailed. I also care for what you listed as well, which is why I like the 90s version so well. Spectacular had a good start with the first season, sure I'll admit that, but season two fell apart for me.

Like you said, even though TSSM was cancelled I'm not going to let it affect my viewing of the new series. I hope it's good and hopefully it will last long, which I'm sure it will since the movies are going to be re-bootedaroundthe same time, so maybe those two will compliment each other. And just to throw it out there, I hope they get Mark Hamil for the Hobgoblin, or if not the Green Goblin.

"I also care for what you listed as well, which is why I like the 90s version so well." Ha!

Dude. You clearly to not have a vivid memory of the 90's version. It was story telling/character development CRAP. Maybe it was the best the 90's had to offer, but Spectacular had the 90's show by the balls in this area.

And I would agree that up till the 2nd show of the series I was concerned for the art direction...every episode following I was hooked on how the slightly simplistic look (which I LOVE now) allowed for cheap yet amazingchoreography.

I feel both of your points are valid, but the truth is the Disney acquisition/transition of Marvel moved the show to XD and killed its ratings which killed the money, which killed the show. Maybe between now and 2011 when Ultimate comes out we can squeeze a movie out of them to wrap things up, but hearing that the show is officially gone now is so depressing.

Goodbye Spectacular Spider-man. My daughter and I will miss watching you together on Saturday mornings. It was a fun time while it lasted.

elpaquilloloco

[15]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 27

Booooo!!

frostbite200

[16]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 21
    I'm offically depressed.

jwgrlrrajn

[17]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 23
    What the [bleep]!?!

That's it, I'm officially ticked off!!!

syrusfan

[18]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 38

Spectacular is done? How disappointing...

This might just be me, but I looked at some animation from the 90s cartoon, and it just looks ugly to me

Kennymacdougall

[19]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 22

syrusfan wrote:

Spectacular is done? How disappointing...

This might just be me, but I looked at some animation from the 90s cartoon, and it just looks ugly to me

So a more realistic look than a cartoony one means ugly?

CoporalAtlas

[20]Apr 24, 2010
    No, a clunky fight scene is what looks ugly. The 90s Spiderman had plenty of those.