The Spectacular Spider-Man Forums

Disney XD (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Intervention (possible spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

paycheckgurl

[61]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 9

SpideyFan914 wrote:

One thing you said does surprise me, though - that Eddie sees the symbiote as a father figure. I've always thought it was supposed to be his last friend, not father figure.... Father figures are usually older than you and, uh, the same species.... Plus, Eddie should've already had a father figure - just one who was never shown or mentioned. Makes you wonder just what he's been doing between the plane crash and his internship....

You know it's entirly possible he grew up being shuffled from foster home to foster home and/or whomever raised wasn't a model parent figure. I agree with you that venom needs to be fleshed out a bit and we need to see some of Brock's backstory, but it's not nearly as bad as you always seem to paint it as being.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

frostbite200

[62]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 21
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

I just get a more fatherly vibe from Qui-Gon then I do with Obi-Wan, the rest of my family agree with me. I guess it's kind of hard to explain, but that is the what-ifs for you.

Alright, the sanity/insanity thing makes sense now (thanks to the very last paragraph). I think were both on the same page regarding the fact that everyone has justification, the reasonably-ness (I know, not a real word) of that justification is an example of the "Your Mileage May Very" trope.

I kind of wish Greg would give us a clear answer on the "Eddie likes Gwen" idea. Based off my own experiences, my childhood friends still have a bigger impact on me then any girl I had a crush on. Actually, I wonder how long Eddie knew Gwen (I think it's safe to say he knew Pete since Pete was born). It's unanswered questions like these that give more reason for Season 3; I've managed to convert a few more people at least.

I never viewed Eddie as a shallow person, I just thought of him as a good guy constantly geting mud thrown at him without rest and then just finally snapping. Kind of like how Otto finally snapped in Reaction. It is a little hard to explain, then again people don't call Venom Spider-Man's trickiest-to-pull-off villain for no reason.

I actually never had a chance to read any Ultimate Spider-Man Comic. It just never seems to be at any of the stores when I'm there. I do know the jist of it, I just never got to actually read any of them. I'd like to read the Ultimate Venom story for myself sometime. 90s Venom was also an excellent adaptation/version indeed. John Semper deserves a lot of credit for expanding upon the Venom Story. He was the one who made Parker and Brock rivals and made the "Symbiote amplifies negative emotions" side effect.

I didn't notice I spelled "talkbacks" wrong, I was tired when I typed that out. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to rewatch the Master Planner Arc so I can give fresh thoughts on it.

I quote Star Wars Episode II

"Come on master,your the closest thing I have to a father!"

SpideyFan914

[63]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 18
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

I kind of wish Greg would give us a clear answer on the "Eddie likes Gwen" idea. Based off my own experiences, my childhood friends still have a bigger impact on me then any girl I had a crush on. Actually, I wonder how long Eddie knew Gwen (I think it's safe to say he knew Pete since Pete was born). It's unanswered questions like these that give more reason for Season 3; I've managed to convert a few more people at least.

I doubt these subtle clues were dropped on accident, especially 'cause if they were, Greg wouldn't mind clarifying it, and he instead answered, "No comment" when asked. So there's most likely some truth to that statement. Whether it's just a crush or true love is yet to be seen, but I can't say them going and dismissing it as a mere crush, so.... she'd make sense to have a much bigger impact on him than Peter.

In any case, my main point was that if Peter abandoned Eddie, he'd still have Gwen to fall back on, so he wouldn't abandon that just to get revenge. It wouldn't mean that much to him, no matter how close he was to Peter.

DBTrilogy100 wrote:

I never viewed Eddie as a shallow person, I just thought of him as a good guy constantly geting mud thrown at him without rest and then just finally snapping. Kind of like how Otto finally snapped in Reaction. It is a little hard to explain, then again people don't call Venom Spider-Man's trickiest-to-pull-off villain for no reason.

I think I'm missing the point here.... Otto was dealing with constant abuse (not neglect, but abuse) from Norman and was forced to go against his conscience. Plus, it's same to assume that he was picked on high school. (Though I find him a bit inconsistent, I am beginning to understand Ock - I liked Greg's explanation. That line, "I've been good" sums it up - being a good person got him nowhere and nearly killed him. So from now on, he's trying a different approach.) Eddie, however, hasn't had the same pressures as Ock to any stretch of the imagination. Otto had no friends; Eddie had at least several. Otto suffered abuse. Eddie suffered the same issues that stress out just about everybody.

The main argument that I've seen is that Eddie reacted differently to these stresses. However, I see no evidence to back this up - there's certainly not enough to suggest that he would turn homicidal!

DBTrilogy100 wrote:

I actually never had a chance to read any Ultimate Spider-Man Comic. It just never seems to be at any of the stores when I'm there. I do know the jist of it, I just never got to actually read any of them. I'd like to read the Ultimate Venom story for myself sometime. 90s Venom was also an excellent adaptation/version indeed. John Semper deserves a lot of credit for expanding upon the Venom Story. He was the one who made Parker and Brock rivals and made the "Symbiote amplifies negative emotions" side effect.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Spider-Man-Vol-6-Venom/dp/0785110941/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262033260&sr=8-1

There ya go!

SpideyFan914

[64]Dec 28, 2009
    paycheckgurl wrote:

SpideyFan914 wrote:

One thing you said does surprise me, though - that Eddie sees the symbiote as a father figure. I've always thought it was supposed to be his last friend, not father figure.... Father figures are usually older than you and, uh, the same species.... Plus, Eddie should've already had a father figure - just one who was never shown or mentioned. Makes you wonder just what he's been doing between the plane crash and his internship....

You know it's entirly possible he grew up being shuffled from foster home to foster home and/or whomever raised wasn't a model parent figure. I agree with you that venom needs to be fleshed out a bit and we need to see some of Brock's backstory, but it's not nearly as bad as you always seem to paint it as being.

If that were the case, then he'd have moved around a lot and wouldn't have been able to maintain a lasting childhood friendship for 16 years.

DBTrilogy100

[65]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 7

In Episode III, Obi-Wan said "You were like a brother to me Anakin,". I suppose it's like what you said earlier about it being a mix of both. I admit, I didn't expect my Qui-Gon statement to go this far.

Venom's hard to pull off, no doubt. This Venom wasn't your bottle of soda and I respect that. After all, we both desire a 3rd Season to see the light of day. Hopeful, they'll go into detail on Eddie's childhood if we get another Venom Arc (or a Carnage Arc) in the future.

Thanks for the link, hopefully I can get around to geting 'em.

And Now I am off to give my thoughts on the Master Planner Arc.

frostbite200

[66]Dec 28, 2009
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

In Episode III, Obi-Wan said "You were like a brother to me Anakin,". I suppose it's like what you said earlier about it being a mix of both. I admit, I didn't expect my Qui-Gon statement to go this far.

Venom's hard to pull off, no doubt. This Venom wasn't your bottle of soda and I respect that. After all, we both desire a 3rd Season to see the light of day. Hopeful, they'll go into detail on Eddie's childhood if we get another Venom Arc (or a Carnage Arc) in the future.

Can't wait for both!

SpideyFan914

[67]Dec 29, 2009
    frostbite200 wrote:
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

Can't wait for both!

Both what?

frostbite200

[68]Dec 29, 2009
    SpideyFan914 wrote:
    frostbite200 wrote:
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

Can't wait for both!

Both what?

Some back story for Eddie and season 3.

SpideyFan914

[69]Dec 29, 2009
    frostbite200 wrote:
    SpideyFan914 wrote:
    frostbite200 wrote:
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

Can't wait for both!

Both what?

Some back story for Eddie and season 3.

Oh. Yeah. Okay.

98slbrookes98

[70]Feb 13, 2010
    • level: 7
    Saw Intervention again today - its as brilliant as ever.