The Spectacular Spider-Man

Group Therapy

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 31, 2008 on Disney XD

• This, is my...second favorite episode in the series, coming in besides 'Persona'. But this episodes delivers something... nostalgic really, the 'Sinister Six' is my favorite group of villains, and this episode does them justice.

The old plunnie from the 'Suit' arc from 'Amazing' where the suit takes over Peter for mid-night joy-rides found an absolutely wonderful application here, when the suit it self went against the Six, effectively tearing them apart, using their own abilities against them, ect. ect.

Also on that note, everyone is effectively in character here. No botched delivery of lines, ect. ect. I found that the writers knew that Ock would notice Pete's silence during the battle excellent. I found Ock's strategic using of Electro to bust out rather IC for both of them. Ock's the evil (and mad, let's not forget mad) genius, and Electro is essentially the victim of unfortunate circumstances and desperate for help.

The fight scenes, both with Peter awake and asleep, deliver. The awake Peter, even WITH the Symbiote, was simply not experienced enough to cope with the battle and Ock's genius brain and tactics; while at the same time the suit, by itself, is an utter animal: ruthlessly dispacting the Six and nearly killing some of them. Let's see...what'd I miss..ah. The motor cycle ride between Brock and MJ. I felt that Brock telling MJ on their ride how his and Peter's parents died was a clever IDEA, and the scene was alright, but the way they died seems earily similar to the 'Ultimates' continuity, and seems to serve little else other than to link it to that series. It barely seems to fit it's percieved actual purpose: Give Eddie another reason to hate Peter through Mary Jane. Their characterizations are good, but once again, the scene was rushed.

That last scene at the end where Peter realizes that the suit is a Symbiote was actually pure gold. While in the original 'Amazing,' the moment when Peter found out the suit was alive, he tried to get it off instantly. This take on it is a lot better in my opinion. It shows that the Symbiot is imposing it's will on Peter, making him look for a reason to keep the suit, and giving him a darker out look.

All in all, a pretty dang good episode. Pivotal in every sense; Peter goes against big group of baddies and suit begins to take over. The wasted scene between Eddie and MJ was really the only thing wrong with it.

I look forward to all future episodes and I wish the creators and their staff good luck!