The Spectacular Spider-Man

Natural Selection

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 15, 2008 on Disney XD

• Complete Awesomeness.

Doctor Connors is the LIZARD.
    This is one the best episodes of season 1,Heres why.
    1.The Lizard is a mindless,savage monster.
    2.Eddie Brock has his biggest roll yet(until Nature vs. Nurture) 3.The Lizard transformation was (excuse the pun) spectacular.
    4.It was just completely awesome.

Now the idea of Peter considering to take the gene cleanser (to take away his powers) has some things in common with The Amazing Spider-man Issue #50:Spider-man No More(I think thats what it was)but I'm not going in to that here.

Lastly Peter was an idiot to think that nun of his friends at the lab would find the photos in the news paper.

Grate episode.
  • Doctor Connors becomes the Lizard!

This is the first episode where Peter Parker has to face the burden of being Spider-Man. Peter was fired for not helping Doctor Connors when he became the Lizard. But, we all know that he did help, but in his alter ego form. Anyway, Doctor Connors injected the serum into his right shoulder, hoping that it will regrow his arm back. And,as it turned out, it did regrow. However, it came with a price. Not only did Doctor Connors grew his arm back, but the Lizard DNA is taking over his Human DNA/brain. Soon, he won't remember anything about anyone. He will just violently attack. Again, this show just keeps getting better and better. In my opinion, its MUCH better than the 90's one (except when it comes to the characters' designs, but I'm used it now).
  • We find out what Curt Connors has in mind with that serum, and it doesn't turn out well for anyone involved.

Have to say that this episode was a nice flipside to the 1994 cartoon episode "Night Of The Lizard". Basically both had Eddie and Peter involved in the story, but this time Peter looks like the bad guy. Also a good example of Pete winning and losing at the same time.

My favorite scene is definitely Spidey trying to sneak up on the Lizard only for the cellphone to go off.

As for Pete's choice to make many off his Lizard photos, it's no different than when he did the same in the 1995 Series. Besides, even in some of the early comics he display a moral flaw.
  • Forty years ago, the very first Spidey cartoon I ever watched was on ABC. And, it dealt with Peter Parker heading down to Florida to get snapshots of the notorious "Lizard Man." Which makes this episode doubly ironic.

Because, this morning marks the debut of this particular cartoon series on my local cable-TV provider! As a result, I'm probably a month behind the rest of this country in reviewing this episode. But, I don't mind, as I found "Natural Selection" to be surprisingly intelligent and riveting! In 1967, the animated Mrs. Curt Connors just stayed on the front porch of their Everglades home, wringing her hands in helpless worry. But, in 2008, she's her husband's partner in both marriage and research. Every bit as brilliant as him, in the genetic engineering field. In 1967, Aunt May wore prim-and-proper dresses worthy of Archie's Ms. Grundy. And, her only worry was her nephew's health. Yet, in 2008, she wears shirts and slacks just as casually as any twenty-something woman. And, she also has financial worries, the same as any other single parent. I know, I know! Different times/different standards. But, I'm still glad that the writers of this show could throw in modern angst without sacrificing the action and suspense that first got me hooked on Spidey-cartoons as a kid. In short; "Natural Selection" was like an Ultimate Marvel version of the Spidey-vs.Lizard match that I first watched, forty years ago. And, I hope this latest cartoon-version of the webslinger's adventures lasts twice as long as the Krantz Animation original.
  • Spider-Man battles with the Lizard and demons in his personal life.

This was a good episode that dealt with Dr. Curt Connors' experimentation process coming to fruition when he fused his DNA with Reptilian DNA thus causing his arm to regenerate. The side-effect was his brain was effected and the Lizard traits started to take control of him.

The most substanative facet of the episode was Peter supposedly leaving Mrs. Connors, Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy because of Aunt May's curfew when in fact, he went to battle the Lizard to get him under control and transform him back to a human in addition to taking photos for the bugle to assist with the bills. It was a pretty deep episode dealing with his responsibilities as Spider-Man, his loyalty to his friends and his responsibility to help out Aunt May. The episode ripped Peter into 3 directions with him ultimately choosing to help Dr. Connors AND Aunt May with the bills.

Overall, aside from the action, there was an underlying darkness about this episode that forced Peter to make decisions that would effect his relationship with the people he cares about. Additionally, it illustrated that Spider-Man is a tragic character that doesn't always have a happy ending.
  • Dr. Conners turns into the lizard

Peter Parker and Spider-Man both must learn to own their choices when decisions made by Dr. Curt Connors transforms Pete's mentor into The Lizard. This episode was pretty good. Dr. Connors creates a potion to help heal himself but instead he is turned into a mutant Lizard.The action was incredible with Spiderman vs the lizard. Im still trying to get used to the new animation of this from the 1990s spiderman animated series, the new animation rocks out loud. and again the 10:00 cerfew is really annoying. It was sad in the end where everyone got mad at peter for bailing on them, if only they knew the truth. all in all good episode and really good series
  • Dr. Connor gets a new arm! But sadly it came with a heavy price when he change into the Lizard! Now it's up to Spider-man to stop the Lizard and change him back to Dr. Connor.

This is such a enjoyable episode to watch. It start out with Curt Connor finally get a new arm. And everyone was shock and happy for him. Suddly he change in to a Lizard. The show did a great job showing how Curt connor turn into the Lizard, it was really cool. I like how we see a girl hiding in a cornor and you just know the Lizard is coming for her. He was above her when she notice him. Don't worry Spidey save her. I also like how Eddie Brock trys to stop the Lizard himself with the help of Spider-man. At the end It's sad that Peter's friends tell Parker that they can't trust him. When he ran off and saw the picture of the Lizard in the Paper. I really enjoy this episode. I can't as always wait til the next episode.

When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below. KEMF F F F F FF FF F FF F F F F FF F F F F FF F F F