The State

MTV - Music Television (ended 1995)

The State Fan Reviews (12)

• In the sketch comedy craze that hit the early 90s, this show stood out over the rest.

The State was a truly amazing sketch comedy show that aired on MTV in the mid-nineties. With original characters and truly funny sketches, it still stands the test of time for funny. Some of their more memorable bits include Muppet Dinner Party, Doug and Dad, $240 Worth of Pudding, Kabuki Doug and Monkey Torture. Many of the original cast members can be seen in various other comedies including Balls of Fury, Reno 911, Stella and The Ten. In fact, all can be found in the Reno 911: Miami movie. There have been various announcements of it being released to DVD, but so far it has not happened yet, but various cast members have assured that it still will.
  • Boys and girls, gather round!

Easily the best sketch comedy show ever made. This is the crown jewel of Generation X comedy. Michael Ian Black, David Wain, Michael Showalter, Joe Lo Truglio, Ken Marino and Thomas Lennon are all incredibly funny writers and amazing actors, just look at all the work they went on to do: Stella, Wet Hot American Summer, Viva Variety, and to a lesser extent, Reno 911. Anyone who "doesn't get" this show has a horrible sense of humor and should be shot in the face. I cannot go through a single sketch without laughing excessively and obnoxiously. After 13-odd years, it's still just as good as when it was underground and ultra-hip back in '94.
  • This show was great, I wish they would bring it back.

I know some of you are saying if they do that then what about Reno 911, well do both or some sort of mix.. well maybe not a mix. This show had several skits including some of the signature skits that they used the characters from in other skits. It was like Kids in the Hall just with less Canadians, I'm not sure there might have been no canadians, but who know eh! They had some good jokes, some that it was a few years later that I got the references for some of them. This was when MTV was good when this show was on.
  • Whose got something for me?

I think the reason this show didn\\\'t last long was the fact that it was way ahead of it\\\'s time.Some of the funniest momenst in t.v. history were a part of this show.Muppet hunting...any doug sketch...Hey who wants to go down to the zoo and watch the monkeys do it?..The last supper with thomas lennon as jesus..Barry and Lavon..Two hundred and forty dollars..worth of puddin\\\',and who could forget Louie the I wanna dip my balls in it guy. It\\\'s good to see the cast all still working Reno 911 ..Vh1\\\'s I Love The Whatevers..But i still ten years later miss the state
  • One of those sketch comedy shows that appeals to the teenager in each of us.

The comedy can be juvinille and down right odd at times on this show, but it very much stays in the general feel of other comedy shows of the time, namely resembling "In Living Color." Most bits are far from intellectual (other there are some very notable exceptions to that rule [The Last Supper skit with Louis]), but it always remains hilarious.

Compared to some other comedy shows, like "Mr. Show," politics remain mostly apart from the skits, making it more appealing to a larger audience. The subject matter is relatively clean (it is geared towards teenagers, so there will be some sex and drug-use of course) and it makes for a fun time when you want to sit back and just laugh without having to think.

Overall, an enjoyable show that really needs to be released on DVD. And quickly, before my tapes die on me!
  • The State was in fact one of MTV's best TV shows.

Classic script writing. Great humor. Pushes the envelope. In so many words, I couldn't stop laughing. MTV or Comedy Central needs to air this show again. With so many actors currently working on Reno 911!, I don't see why any network wouldn't bring back this classic.

This show was/is as good as Saturday Night Live, Mad TV, Kids In The Hall, and any other "sketch" comedy show. There were too many favorite catch phrases. I would have to say that many enjoyed the "I wanna dip my balls in it" the best.
  • Great skits from a great comedy group.

"The State" was a brilliantly funny sketch comedy show that ran on MTV in the mid-90's. By far the best and smartest show that has ever graced MTV. Each cast member was extremely talented (especially Thomas Lennon) and every skit was about a million times funnier then anything that has been on "Saturday Night Live" in the past 10 years. There is a VHS tape that is available with about an hour and a half of "The State" skits on it. But this tape does not even come close to representing the best of what ran on the show. I hope that one of these days MTV will get their act together and either re-run all of "The State" episodes or put them out on DVD. Or, an even better scenario would be for "The State" to get back together and have a TV show again.
  • A show that in a word was dirty. Adult skits that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. It was a show that could give you nothing but NIGHTMARES. The jokes as they were made no sense at all. They were terrible. That show should have been illegal. Di

1.1
    This show was the sorriest excuse for a comedy ever. It could make you sick and give you nightmares all at once. It was so dirty it would make you want to shower afterwards. No wonder people want political correctness on tv now. HELLO it started with the state people. No show could make you more nervous than the state. Incredibly awful and then some. A very disgusting show if ever there was one. I give this show a resounding thumbs down. A pitiful excuse for a comedy. Sick Sick Sick ewww so disgusting. Can't stand that show. Go political correctness.
  • One of my all-time favorites

This show was the best thing that ever happened to MTV since "Remote Control"! I absolutely loved watching it and would even act out some of the skits for my friends and we just had the greatest time. I really miss this show, but I have a video with some of their skits, particularly Louie at the Last Supper, Burger Hut, Doug, Barry & Levon (with the $240 worth of pudding) and, I think this one's everybody's favorite, the Jew, the Italian the Red-Head Gay. And for those of you who are wondering about this lovable cast, Michael Showalter did a commercial during the '96 Summer Games, Kerri Kenney did a Dawn commercial and Michael Ian Black is on "Ed".

• MTV\'s coolest show!!!

All the sketches were way cool, I still have fun with them: Antonio the Foreign Exchange Student, Barry and Levone, Super Friends, Doug, etc. they were excellent, hope to see it on DVD, well it\'s five o\'clock, time to punch out (I just smashed a co-worker on his face, sorry).
  • This was a wonderful show, and I would love to see it come out on DvD

OH the catch phrases, and hysterical skits, from "I wanna dip my balls in it" to "Can't swing a dead cat without hitting an S&M Bar".

This was definately a hit. I'm not sure why it got pulled, but I can only guess the folks in the show deserved more money, and didn't get it, or had better choices come along.
  • The indy alternative to SNL.

I remember watching this as a kid thinking that this was both to mature for me and yet too dumb for me as well. I stil repeat catch phrases from the show all of the time. I love this show and I'm saving a space for it on my dvd shelf.