A The Strain Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on FX (Returning August 28, 2016)

FX announced Tuesday that it's ordered 13 episodes of Guillermo del Toro's new project The Strain, and if I'm being honest, I thought the project already had a series order. Obviously FX would have been silly to pass on it, but now it's official: FX and del Toro are definitely in business together. 

The Strain is a horror/thriller based on a trilogy of novels written by del Toro and author Chuck Hogan about a centuries-old strain of vampirism that appears to have resurfaced in New York City. I haven't read the novels yet myself (or the graphic novels they inspired), but this is a tale spun from the mind of the "Master of Horror," so I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably won't be finding any vampire love triangles in The Strain

del Toro's vision is being ushered to the small screen with the help of Lost's Carlton Cuse, who serves as executive producer and showrunner. House of Cards' Corey Stoll stars as Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Center for Disease Control's Canary Team in New York City who's called in to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak—the show's central premise. Stoll is joined by a talented cast that includes Mia Maestro (Alias), Sean Astin (Lord of the Rings), Kevin Durand (Lost), Natalie Brown (Being Human), Jonathan Hyde (Titanic), Richard Sammel (Inglourious Basterds), Robert Maillet (Sherlock Holmes), Ben Hyland (House of Cards), Jack Kesy, and Miguel Gomez.

Production begins this month, with a projected premiere date of July 2014.

Will you watch The Strain? Or are you seriously, completely, totally over the entire vampire thing?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/4/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/28/2016

Season 3 : Episode 1

59 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am all over it like white on rice and if that didn't come out right, it means yes I will watch.
Flag
Ron Perlman did the audio book in amazing fashion... And now that he is available....
Flag
Excellent Novels..apart from the beginning of the 3rd one but even that picks up

Try Sandman Slim novels by Richard Kadrey...They deserve to be picked up
Flag
Corey Stoll was amazing on House of Cards! His performance has sold me to watch him again ! I do hope it will NOT be another traditional kind of action vampire story
Flag
Totally cliched books BUT also very entertaining and
mini spoiler

once the story becomes epic wth Elders, Hunters, The Master, Mr.Quinlan, Fallen Angels etc

end of mini spoiler

it gets quite interesting. And there are a couple of scens eg the subway scene...oh my god

But the question remains...who will play Mr.Quinlan
Flag
I also thought this series was already picked up.

Anyway, I'm passing just because I am not into this sort of thing in general, but I have kept an eye on it for some reason.
Flag
I can't wait for this! The books were really good. I'd like to see Danny Trejo as the old Mexican wrestler from the second book.
Flag
Sorry, If its anything like the first book, I think I'll pass. Much as I admire both of the people involved, Hogan is a very good writer in his own er, right, but the book was derivative in the extreme. Now, if someone's options "Horns" by Joe Hill I might just buy into that...
Flag
Horns has been made into a film with Daniel Radcliffe as Ig, so I don't see it becoming a TV show... I'm waiting for the movie to be released, I love the book.
Flag
Really? Thanks for that, I didn't know. Great book, a whodunnit and the devil as good guy, what's not to like?
Flag

I'll watch anything from Guillermo Del Toro. The man is a genius!
Flag
"vampire love triangles in The Strain" haha This ain't Twilight.
Flag
This sounds really good, vampire show without a love triangle, good cast, I'm excited for this
Flag
If they don't get Ron EFFING Perlman to be Vasiliy Fet, I will be hugely let down.
Flag
Edit: He will be played by Kevin Durand.
Flag
Finally! Looking forward to it!
Flag
I also thought this was a done deal already but anyway - good news!
You cracked me up with "you probably won't be finding any vampire love triangles in The Strain" - Excellent
Flag
I'm super excited about this, it sounds fucking awesome.
Flag
I'm tired of people saying they are over the vampire genre. In retrospect, look at the sort of vampire material that's primarily been released on television and film: Buffy the Vampire, Angel, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Blade, Twilight... All of these have been more concerned with humanising vampires, and majority of the time having us sympathise with them. Yes, there's been some memorable villains amongst them, but none have really taken advantage of what a vampire was initially conceived as... A heartless demon that craves human blood. It fits perfectly with the horror genre, yet vampires have rarely been depicted as pure monsters. It looks like The Strain aims to do this, which is why I'm not concerned with being over the genre, as this aspect if the vampire has rarely had a chance to be shown to audiences.
Flag
I am SO in.
Flag

Hey, what happened to POWERS? Are we ever going to get that TV adaptation? That has so much potential
Flag
Im really excited about this series, and I've never even read the book. Its got a great director at the helm, a fantastic cast of actors, Corey Stoll and Mia Maestro? Hell yea.

FX just knows what its doing. The only misstep I think its taken was with the Bridge. One bad episode can really derail a show.
Flag
This sounds amazing. And I will seriously, completely probably never be over the entire vampire thing... haha or the horror genre for that matter.
Flag
I don't even need to see this to know it's going to be awesome. Thanks FX, you've done it again.
Flag
The books are interesting, with a cool take on the vampire genre. The ending was awful, dismissing the drama of the central conflict rather than resolving it. I hope it comes across better on the screen, because the rest of it was very good. THAT (the story in the books) it was so good, is probably the main reason why I was ultimately disappointed.
Flag
Oh...we haven't jumped the vampire bandwagon yet? lol just kidding..not really. If it's creepy, then I will watch it. I thought true blood was going to be exactly that back in the day, but that didn't happen. Also, the vampire diaries is just...............................*cricket sound*...............................

I haven't bothered watching any other vampire show. So I might watch this. TV needs more horror series that will make you pee yourself and cry yourself to sleep. American Horror Story is the closest thing to that! Well...there's the walking dead too, but that one's bipolar. So yeah...bring it!
Flag
Much as I still love Supernatural, its pretty much lost all of its horror roots. Hannibal brings the chills, but its very psychological and not bump-in-the-night horror. We really do need more horror shows, especially anthologies like Tales from the Crypt!
Flag
Nice, yet ANOTHER vampire series.....
Flag
Read the novels...Without spoiling anything, let me just say that these ARE NOT the kind of vampires that are currently infesting TV.
Flag
Yeah, no skinny teen mooning over the new pale boy in high school in the books. Probably why CW are not doing it.
Flag
Looks promising cast-wise except for Sean Astin who just peeves me. Last time I saw Astin he was on the shitty SAG thing bemoaning how hard actors have it and are all about to become redundant due to CGI etc. ad nauseam. Let's hope he goes ka-plooey early on.
The usual doubt remains for any televised horror/graphic novel, in that they never dare maintain the content and so end up diluted for tv productions. Time will tell.
Shirtless sparklies need not apply!!!
Flag
I don't like Corey Stoll, a large part of the reason I don't like him is he always plays scum bags, not even fun scumbags like comic book villains but just run of the mill assholes. I do like Del Toro though, so I'll wait for some early reviews and trailers before I give it a commitment,
Flag
I 'read' the books (through my ears - first book was narrated by Ron Perlman, had to), and they were written like they were made for the screen, which wasn't surprising at all. They were good, and this could be a real horror show if they want, making AHS look like a fairy tale. Can't wait.
Flag
Alright, Jonathan Hyde is back. I hope he acts a little bit like Van Pelt.
Flag
It was the funniest thing, my roommates and I got talking about Jumanji today, and it made me look him up because I remember liking him in that, and recognising his face enough to know he's been in a couple of things. The Mummy, Richie Rich, films I loved at a kid, will be definitely nice to see him on screen again.
Flag
He pretty much made up my childhood with all those movies. Its a shame he hasn't been more popular.
Flag
I'm really excited for it because I read the books, but I remember thinking that all of the visual descriptions would have been much better on the screen than on the page. Their vampires were actually really scary and I like the idea of a vampire apocalypse, plus Carlton Cuse is amazing as a showrunner and I'm sure he'll do a great job with The Strain. The only think that's troubling is the surprising lack of women and people of color, although the books were like that too.
Flag
Every time I see Corey Stoll, I want to punch him in the face.
Flag
That's odd. I just want to kiss him.

Different strokes for different folks?
Flag
I'm not over the vampire thing, I'm just sick to death of the bandwagon that felt the need to add other creatures (werewolves, ect) to anything with vamps in it..
Past that, I'm really looking forward to this particular take on vampires, but as with most things I'm psyched to see, I'm gonna hope for the best & expect the worst. That way, even if it's really bad, it'll exceed my expectations & if it's really good, it'll be something I hoped it could be
Flag
i'm in as long as there is no love triangles
Flag
I'm not a fan of vampires, I'm generally not a fan of the horror genre, and I also don't consider myself a fan of del Toro's... and yet I'm still a bit psyched for this. I assume it's because it sounds interesting... and FX is still cool.
Flag
I will watch but i am hoping for another type series to get picked up by them
Flag
You had me at horror and Guillermo del Toro, but the fact that it's in FX adds a new level of expectations. Lets hope that summer 2014 will be nothing like summer 2013 (in terms of television)
Flag
I'm not sure how much faith I have in Cruse but its an interesting enough premise for me to want to watch, and I enjoy many of FX's programs. Never seen the comics or read the novels which is probably best
Flag
FX (The Shield, Sons of Anarchy) + Guillermo Del Toro (Blade 2, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) + Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) = WINNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Don't forget FX's best show, Justified.
Flag
Wow I Completely forgot this one. Justified is one of the best show on television.
Flag
Probably the best show on TV now that Breaking Bad is done with.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members