A The Strain Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on FX (Returning August 28, 2016)

The Strain S01E03: "Gone Smooth"

Welcome back, dear reader! And welcome back, The Strain. After taking last week off to focus on house renovations and custody battles, the series returned to the fun it promised in its pilot, with  more vampires and a penis falling into a toilet. See, The Strain, is it that hard? Drop a dong in the crapper and all your sins and ridiculous aspirations of being a character drama will be forgiven. 

"Gone Smooth," GREAT TITLE BTW, improved on its immediate predecessor in just about every way imaginable (although that wasn't too hard, considering how stinky "The Box" was). The episode did a much better job of following the outbreak—paying worthwhile visits to the quartet of survivors and offering a freakier look at their transformations—while also uncovering truths about the vast vampire conspiracy that were previously absent. 

But really, most viewers are watching The Strain to see worms crawling beneath people's skin and monsters shooting veiny tongues out of their faces, and "Gone Smooth" delivered. I've been pretty transparent about this, but all I ask from the show is that it embrace its genre and its campiness. If a horror show that doubles as a great drama comes out of that, then yippy skippy—but after seeing a pilot that upended my expectations in a good way and a second episode that was hugely disappointing, my standards for The Strain lie somewhere between Cabin Fever and Dracula: Dead and Loving It

I'm going to choose to forget the mixed messages we received from last week's visit with the four survivors (the Lawyer subtly bled a little bit into her Prosecco, while the Rocker viciously tried to eat one of his sex partners) and pretend that "Gone Smooth" was our first encounter with them post-plane disaster, because watching the disease spread this week was way more fun than it was last week. The Spooky Geek's face was literally falling apart, and he drank the blood out of an idling refrigerator steak while his wife looked on in horror because that is gross and who has a single steak just sitting in some CorningWare inside the fridge besides people in horror movies? Seeing the family side of things intensified the urgency of the disease, and since the Pilot is a lonely old bachelor, the Rocker don't have time for longterm relationships, and the Lawyer's heart is full of ice, it's up to the Spooky Geek to illustrate how the virus affects more than just those who are infected. 

The Rocker, whose taste for flesh has apparently subsided (see what I mean about mixed messages?), arguably had the worst day of all. The look on the doctor's face when the Rocker opened his robe would've been more than enough to make our imaginations run wild, but then The Strain spared our imaginations the exercise by revealing one of the weirdest things I've seen on television in a long time. This, a thousand times, this: 

What in the what!? Why was his wiener so quick to fall off and nothing else? Was that black mass that fell in the toilet, to quote There's Something About Mary, the frank or the beans? How does he pee now? Do vampires pee? Do vampires poo? Why didn't the Rocker freak out? Is this what Robert Pattinson looks like naked? I have so many questions! With penises falling like leaves in the fall, what started out as an annoying cold is now serious business. (P.S. What happens to female vampires down there? Just wondering.) I'm hoping we do get these kinds of answers, though, and from what I've heard about the Strain trilogy of novels, they take a very scientific approach to vampirism. Also, a little birdie told me that we might get another hint regarding the genital shriveling in next week's episode, so the fact that the show didn't shrink the Rocker's junk just for giggles is a positive sign that The Strain isn't shocking us just for shock's sake. 

Elsewhere, the Pilot made the biggest jump to toothy bloodsucker after escaping his quarantine bubble and slurping down blood bags in the hospital basement. But his experience as a monster was short-lived as Eph smashed his head in with a fire extinguisher after dodging his projectile proboscis. It was the first time we've seen a fight with a vampire (and by the way, I'm calling them vampires for lack of a better term) rather than a one-sided slaughter, and now I'm itching to see Setrakian throw down with that cane-sword of his. "The Master" might be a badass, but the low-level infected can be killed, even by a trio of nerdy scientists (no thanks to Jim). Again, this bodes well for the future of the series if you're into awesome things. 

No contemporary sci-fi show is complete without some sort of shadowy conspiracy group pulling strings behind the scenes, and guess what!? The vampires have their dirty fingernails stuck in all kinds of business, including experimental cancer trials at Stanford. I always knew those preppy Stanford nerds were bloodsucking no-gooders (go Cal!). The vampires are using their influence to rope in Jim, who so far is The Strain's weakest character and might only be filling the role of mole. We don't know why Jim was so indebted to them in the pilot, but now Thomas (the vampire who was putting on his face in the episode's opening scene) is using his connections to get Jim's wife the cancer treatment she needs.

Ahhh, the ol' "my wife has cancer" conundrum! It's too bad this type of storytelling device smacks of convenience. It's obvious that the only reason Jim has a cancer-stricken wife is to give him an excuse to be in league with the vampires. What if Jim had a wife who didn't have cancer? What if she was perfectly healthy—then what? "Jim, if you work with us, I can get you that great parking space at the CDC you've always wanted." And since Jim hasn't been established as a very likable fellow, he sucks out the energy of the show. Ugh, sorry, I know I said The Strain isn't about characters, but Jim is a real bummer so far, and a waste of Sean Astin the Goonies guy.

But other than that, "Gone Smooth" was a solid, entertaining episode that totally fixed most of what bothered me about last week's "The Box." Our Strain craze may continue. See you next week!   

NOTES

– Yep, I had to see that image one more time. 

– Where are the 200+ walking corpses that woke up in the morgue? I know New York City is crowded and full of haggardly looking people, but surely someone would notice a huge mob of undead, some with their guts hanging out?

– The Pilot's nose hair was all up in my face!

– This episode offered a much better introduction to Vasiliy the Rat Exterminator than "The Box" did. Come to think of it, what was the point of that first introduction at all? He busted a restaurant and... ?

– I totally thought the Spooky Geek was going to eat his wounded dog. Maybe next week?

– Setrakian. S-e-T-R-A-k-I-a-NTHINK ABOUT IT

– How long will this dance between Setrakian and the CDC continue? Hopefully not too long. 

– Screw you, Zach, for not asking for joint custody between your mom and dad! But come to think of it, the kid probably made the right choice. I mean, Eph is an absentee dad and workaholic, right?

– Ummm... hackers don't work for PS4s. They work for cash. That girl probably already has like 10 PS4s. 

– Notice how no one on the show watches anything on TV? It's all laptops, iPads, or computers?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/4/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

219 Comments
Comments (219)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just one question
If 200 bodies left the morgue...There would be no witnesses or video?
Otherwise I am enjoying this show. Ready for another episode..
Flag
all the witnesses are dead or undead. the video was siezed by the cdc and there's corruption therein. understanding The Strain's corruption, you have your answer.
Flag
I thought the episode was an homage to Marylin Manson's androgynous look in "Mechanical Animals"
Flag

Also, Tim, feel free to use the "Vampire" term. Or as said in the books, Strigoi. They ARE vampires and a huge part of the books shows the heroes trying to persuade others that they DO face vampires and that vampires are not Romanian warlords or human bats with fangs and a silly cape
Flag
Eichorst and Jim are the more interesting characters for us book readers. Because they are the ones that the TV show is using more than the books. Jim Kent was a minor character with [spoiler] early exit [/spoiler]

and Eichorst showed up later in 2nd book and wasn't that important. In the show he does so many things
On the other hand, Palmer's role is hugely downgraded thus far
Flag
You know how much Hollywood likes to revisit the holocaust. GDT has two films in which this happens.
Flag
It was a fun episode and I wish there was more Vassily... Speaking of Vassily... he is one cool dude just watching those rather sizeable rats leaving Manhattan... rats are smart!!!

The fight scene at the end was great. Now they have a small inkling of what they will face... Shame Eph's douchebag boss wasn't there...

Setrakian lying through his teeth in court was a pretty cool scene too... As was his refusal to talk to pretty doc until they're on massacre mood...

I really dislike Jim Bent the character ... because of course he has a sick wife who needs extremely rare treatment... Tired device if there was ever one but I hope there is some twist to the usual way things go.... Hopefully Jim realises that cancer or not, the strain is going to kill him and her and everyone you know... before she even starts her treatment
Flag
The fact that Jim realized he goofed, sold more of his soul to get an awesome excuse to take his wife and leave the country and DIDN'T, just shows how much of a tool he is.

Hopefully they're building up for a really gruesome and ironic death (Cancer-wife says "I'm cured Hubby-snack!") and not to turn him into a redeemed hero putz.
Flag
Agreed - there is something about him, I just want to punch him so I am hoping we are spared the redemption arc with him...
Flag
Whatever happens with Jim's wife, its not in the first book, so that question might not get answered this season. It would be kinda cool if parasites could kill cancer cells. (not saying thats gonna happen in the series. I have no idea).
Flag
I think Tim is kinda missing the point of this show.
Flag
What is the point of the show?
Flag
He seems to think it's all going to be about blood and gore so when it doesn't deliver that in an episode, he bitches about how boring the show is. As someone who's read the novels and the graphic novel, that's not what this show will be about.

It's a bit like moaning about Game of Thrones not having dragons fighting and sword fighting every single week.
Flag
Ok,

But as someone who hasn't read the novels and the graphic novels (me), can't you see that the Box episode was rather boring on it's own merits?

I mean I can get you know this and that so when you see everything that happened in the episode you were like "oh yea Kool-aid" in happiness just waiting for what's to come next, but for me it was just "bleah", and I personally think Tim's review hit the same vibe.

Flag
Not really. There are other shows where I don't know what's coming and I like the slower more character driven episodes. I didn't look at The Box episode and think what's coming next, I enjoyed what it showed. They're changing it slightly from the books anyway. But, i digress, not everyone can have the same opinion.
Flag
I actually like and appreciate the character development. That's what keeps the viewers interested in the fate of the characters.
Flag
Can't get over how dumb the 4 "survivors" are , not to mention how incredibly selfish. You've just been told by CDC doctors that you may have been exposed to a dangerous pathogen so what do you do ? Rush home so that you can infect your family ! Besides the pilot who was smart enough to check himself into a hospital the other 3 are just plain stupid , they are all obviously suffering from "symptoms" but are refusing to go get it checked out . As for the series thus far , way too much filler. I don't care about the custody battle nor the AA meetings, this series does a great job when it focuses on the main story arc of the "outbreak" but when it veers into the domestics and family issues it is just plain boring.
Flag
I am not 100% sure if the 4 survivors were 'chosen' by the Master but if they were, it could be that he chose self-centered selfish people. The lawyer lady and the rocker seem to fit the bill. The geek is hard to judge but he has to be to go back home to two young kids with a potential illness.... Perhaps just by being infected they develop a strong sense of self-preservation which includes being selfish because they need to survive to do whatever it is the Master hopes they will do?
Flag
I understand your confusion and frustration. The Master is actually influencing them to avoid going to the hospital. Even the pilot was influenced but he felt more guilty than any of the others. And also, although uninteresting, the family subplot becomes important and a bit amusing.
Flag
If you kinda feel like the series is a little slow, you show know the book is written about things that happen over the course of roughly a week.
Flag
FX, you don't usually do this to me, you cut off the last minute of this episode and I see next week you accounted for it...

I didn't hate last week's episode, but I agree with you entirely on one account. That was a much better introduction to Vasiliy than last week where I was wondering if I missed something. Heck, I wasn't sure if I was right assuming he was a good guy or that was otherwise a ruse (being two of the survivors were in the restaurant at the time). Now, I'm almost wondering, like wouldn't his story have made sense as soon as Gus brings the coffin onto Manhattan, he shows up for work, there are all these calls, he goes to the job and then sees all the rats fleeing the island. It would perhaps have communicated the urgency of what is happening a little quicker.

I just quickly read up on the vampires, impressed they are looking like what at least what wiki pedia described. I do sort of wonder how the contacts really work, I know I technically blink more during the day when I have mine in...
Flag

Brilliant episode just the right kind of werid , does that mean our four survivors are different vamps to the 200 undead, I like the drama story with F not many horrror series can pull it off. What happened to old rich guy is he a vamp also I like the exterminator he can help the sciencetist.
Flag
I am guessing the 200 or so passengers are heading to domeville for a u can eat buffet lol
Flag
Dome is on comcasts top 10 summer shows list. How the hell did that happen?
Flag
For entertaining the masses of course its a guilty pleasure LOL
Flag
I guess I can't argue with that.
Flag
Who was that guy that got shot in the head in the office by Thomas?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Head of airline company - Regis Airlines I think it's called.
Flag
why was he killed? I'm 3/4 of the way through the first book and I don't have any recollection of this guy at all. thats not saying much because my memory is really bad.
Flag
I think to confirm the made up story that the plane problem was negligence by the airline so he kills himself out of guilt?
Flag
The Head of the Airlines guy, or whatever his real title is, was killed because the nefarious Stoneheart Group is continuing its campaign of "misinformation". His death is supposed to appease the public regarding the negligence of the airline in the so-called carbon monoxide poisoning that was manufactured by the Eichorst and the old man, and later perpetuated by the media. This is why Eichorst asked him if he wanted to write a note[suicide letter] before he blew his brains out!
Flag
I see. Now it all makes sense
Flag
Flag
Looking at that picture, maybe it was just too cold in that bathroom.
Flag
cold can cause some really frightening shrinkage, but thats just the tip of the iceberg.
Flag
No tip on his iceberg anymore poor vampire rocker.
Flag
I can be one of 'those' people(game of thrones people i am looking at you) who read the excellent books and go on with myself BUT i am just going to quote Shawn Spencer and say wait for iiiiit!!!
Flag
i agree. much better show than the previous week.
Flag
either that, or there's an echo in here.
Flag
Flag
also tell the book readers
NOT TO POST SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS.
Flag
Good point: one thing is to notice Vasili is cuter or Setrakian more endearing than on the books and another, entirely different, to start saying who lives & dies or which guy Nora ends up with.
Flag
Believer it or not, a lot of the book we've already seen in the series. At this point in the book, we're already past the halfway mark. I would expect more slow development and backstory. Otherwise, there'll be nothing for the series to show.
Flag
great episode.

i did notice no one was watching the news on TVs.

yes the pilot did have a lot of nose hairs. hah

what is the deal with the rat exterminator. i'm sure it's leading somewhere.

how is cute hacker girl supposed to play the ps4 without the power cord or hdmi cable? or charge the controller without the USB cable. come on FX, hah.
Flag
I think the rat exterminator is an updated version of "Quincy Morris" from Texas.

Flag
It seems they have set the dinner table in 3 episodes and now it's time for the feast. One thing is for sure, the show will keep being a character show and the gore will keep being the highlight of each episode. Having said that there will be a different New York soon, more vampres, more danger and I believe FX wanted to have a show similar to The Walking Dead which is character driven but has it's "horror moments"
Flag
"Do vampires pee? Do vampires poo?" - In the books they very much do, and it is described as one general expulsion of waste with a horrific ammonia stench to it.
Flag
i'm so inlove with this show GDT is such a god really. i like the fact that it hasnt deviated much from the books yet. Its also the reason why the box was slow, it had to set some things up. This episode was great, finally we got to see how the vampires look specially the mouth thingy, so disgusting.
i do wish the guy reviewing this actually liked the gender since the judmental tone to this review is really anoying to people who do like it.
Flag
The acting on this show is awful.The casting seems to have been done by some cookie cutter network hack.FX should be ashamed to have put together such a shitty production regardless of the success or failure of the series.

This del Toro guy isn't exactly screaming genius to me if he would let this cast so poorly display anything he created.The acting is Under the Dome level bad and outside of a spark of an interesting idea here or there the writing and storyline aren't exactly riveting either.
Flag
ur nuts, this is way better than UtD. the wife and i love UtD, but because its so bad.
the strain is a legit good show so far.
Flag
I didn't say UTD was a better show and there is a good chance The Strain could become a very good show.Maybe before you reply to someone's post it would be wise to understand what they said before responding.
Flag
I apologize Mr High And Mighty Internetz Poster, but by saying the strain has bad acting on par with UtD, you are implying the strain is a bad show...since UtD is a bad show.
Flag
Your lack of reading comprehension and intelligence is implying to you that I am saying The Strain is a bad show.In actuality in the post you just responded to I said "The Strain could become a very good show".

Flag
"Where are the 200+ walking corpses that woke up in the morgue?"

Surely you didn't miss the whole "rats-leaving-sewers-like-in-the-Indiana-Jones-movie". C'mon...horror movies 101...man sees rats running out of sewers in droves...logically meaning they're running FROM something in sewers (and what scares huge rats eh?)...man then enters said sewers...usually saying something stupid like 'hello? is anybody there?'.

Pls del Toro...don't let us have to sit through that. I kinda like the mouse killer - he's been in quite a few movies (Lost, Wolverine, etc). I want him to be the slayer - imagine him with Setrakian's sword....mmmm....
Flag
*******SPOILER*******

Do not read further for spoilers!

Fet does go down into the sewers, but you'll be happy to know, he comes back, and killing rats, vermin and anything else unwanted around the house is something he just gets better and better at. So does Eph, Nora, and Gus.
Flag
Good stuff mate!
Flag
There's a saying that, while old, is still very true: Good things come to those who wait. Another awesome saying: Patience is a virtue.

I'm so happy that I was right, last week's episode was a set-up episode. And boy did it ever pay off! This week was the start of what looks to be a massive roller coaster ride off thrills, chills and freaky human parts falling off at weird times...woohoo! The fully transformed vampires look like the nosferatu legends describe. And the partially transformed vamps are not having pleasant times.

I'm loving the rat catcher, he's so much fun. And I really liked how he knocked the financier down a few pegs. But the best part was how nicely he spoke to the little girl, that was perfect.

Eph and the female doctor really need to talk to Setrakian!

The one thing I'm still not crazy about is the whole family drama with Eph, his ex-wife and son. I know it's part of the set-up, but it's also sucking the horror out of the show, and killing the suspense. I've already started fast-forwarding through that part of the show, and I hate doing that since I might miss a critical clue.

Anyway, I'm still in for now.
More+
Flag
"The series returned to the fun it promised in its pilot, with more vampires and a penis falling into a toilet. See, The Strain, is it that hard? Drop a dong in the crapper and all your sins and ridiculous aspirations of being a character drama will be forgiven."

So character driven drama...bad. Pandering to the lowest common denominator...good?

"But really, most viewers are watching The Strain to see worms crawling beneath people's skin and monsters shooting veiny tongues out of their faces"

But some viewers aren't ONLY watching for those reasons. 42 minutes of worms and monster tongues doesn't sound very entertaining to me...it sounds like an Eli Roth film.

"my standards for The Strain lie somewhere between Cabin Fever and Dracula: Dead and Loving It."

Ahh, this is going to be one of "those" reviews.

In that case, I suppose I'll prepare for the inevitable, "THIS SUCKED" any time an episode that dares venture beyond the horror equivalent of dick and fart jokes.
Flag
I'm not feeling very well as of this writing, but that "is this what Robert Pattinson looks like naked?" line made me laugh out loud. Thanks for making me feel a little better. :)
Flag
Call 999 once the thirst for blood becomes too much too handle.
Flag
Don't you mean 666?
Flag
666 would be the wrong number.
Flag
Cover of Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals is all I could think of after the toilet plop.
Flag
I love Vasiliy. I can't wait to see how he plays into the story. Missed Gus this week, he's a lot more interesting than Eph's home life.

This show is still a bit bumpy, I'm not in love with it yet... but I'll stick with it for awhile. I think if it keeps giving us episodes like this one I will love it.
Flag
Eph's home life is Boring (with a capital B). I don't mind character building but this thing's dragging out too much. I definitely didn't want to see him at an AA meeting to feel sympathy. It's just a bit ... hack 'n' eyed.
Flag
Eph's home life is the WORST! They need to move past is ASAP! Gus' home life isn't much better, but at least gives the right amount of info to make it relevant for later events.
Flag
Alright, this episode annoyed me.

The only things I liked were the German, Setrakian and Vasily.
Everything else was bland to terrible, either from acting or dialogue.

The dick sinking like the Titanic made me laugh to no end, though.
Flag
Soo, basically you just don't like Eph?
Flag
Just this episode and not just him.
Flag
Last episode didn't bother you?
Flag
Actually, no. There were some bits that irked me, but as a whole I was pretty OK with it.
Flag
dam that girl got a good deal for that PS4!
Flag
this show is a stinker. bad writing and acting all over the place.

if it was syfy show it would be bashed but because its del toro everyone laps it up.
Flag
it hasnt shown true greatness yet and episode two was really bad, but its already shown potential and improvement. its only had one really bad episode. if a show on fx sucks, its 10 times more appalling than a bad show on syfy, because fx has become a heavyweight knockout artist in the best series category.

people expect more from fx, so their more likely to give shows more of a chance and this one has only had three episodes. syfy has released lots of bad series. its had some good ones but not like fx.
Flag
i think the show needs to make up its mind of what it is. is it a silly over the top vampire show like blade 2 the movie or is it a serious thriller drama with developing characters. it cant be both.
Flag
with an impending vampire apocalypse, there's only gonna be so much time for tiddly winks.

it seems like you're making time to watch the show, then coming up disappointed. I hate when that happens.

you might wanna skip a couple episodes, then watch like three in one sitting.
Flag
I have a question: are the new vamps stupid, or the show producers, or do they think we are? The juice that you get from steaks is not blood, it's just a protein that stores oxygen and is red.

People jumping to defend this show because all the boring shit with the crying ex wife and annoying kid "sets up what happens in book 3" need to look at how Game of Thrones managed to be based on a series of books AND wasn't terrible.
Why are they holding the lawyer vamp in reserve? Is it so they can show us HER mundane boring home life for half of next weeks episode? While she undergoes drastically different changes at a drastically different pace to anybody else infected, just to keep dragging a 6 episode show out into 13?
Flag
Yeah, I thought the guy sucking down the bowl of myoglobin was pretty ridiculous, but fits with plenty of other dumb vampire/zombie stories out there.

I have to agree with you about Zach and Kelly, their story is relevant to what happens in book 3, but nowhere near justifies the excessive amount of time they're spending on them. To be fair, you could easily have taken them out of book 3 and not had too much of a different outcome anyways!
Flag
I'm almost 11 hours into the 13 hour audiobook and I don't remember anything notable happening with the lawyer. That doesnt mean it hasnt. I mightve dozed off.

I can tell you that eventually a hunt ensues.
Flag
Oh you're really going to doze off if you stick around for book 2 then.
Flag
I generally only watch tv or listen to audio when its late, really late, so I could fall asleep on anything, no matter how entertaining.
Flag
So when he was peeing and I heard that "PLOP!" towards the end I was like, "What was that?? Did a baseball come out of his junk??" And then he turns around and OH. MY. The Strain, yes, more of that weird horror stuff, please!

Overall though, I'm still feeling a bit impatient with the show's pace. I just can't wait until things start going cray-cray and sh*t goes down.

I have a feeling the corpses from the morgue are in the sewers and that's why the rats were getting the hell out of Dodge.
Flag
I think that was one of the few times I envied a rodents' quick response to danger.
Flag
the episode 4 preview was rather overt in stating that next episode was gonna be huge.
Flag
I thought this episode was great. The CDC is still kind of inept but more so at the top. I am not sure about the inclusion of Eph's family. Mostly because they are kind of whiny, they seem there in order to make us feel sorry for Eph but he is dealing with vampires and morons so I already feel sorry for him. I don't need his annoying wife or his precocious son to make him appear more so.

The infected are kind of dumb. I get not wanting to go to the doctor but when you start craving blood and appendages start falling off you might want to. is the dropping off of the Rocker's penis a commentary as to how now modern tellingly of vampires are oversexualized. Because if so then you guys are awesome and they are.

The he rest was pretty good however they are already telegraphing that the female doc is going to be a problem.

Thus us was a pretty good contrast from last week.
Flag
One thing they havent shown a lot of is how The Master influences his offspring. It explains why the infected are seemingly confused. The Master can influence the unaffected as well. That was shown in the premiere in more ways than one.
Flag
Flag
This is The Strain, not True Blood you Neanderthal! But I'm always curious to know your thoughts on that show. So what do you think of The Strain?
Flag
Flag
Violet? Violet who?
Flag
I guess we can cross off any romantic story between the Master and a human woman in this how. Gee no Sookie, Bella, Elena scenario....THANK GAWD!
Flag
Whose Sookie, Bella, and Elena?
Flag
Vampire bait.
Flag
Flag
Tim, about your question, if vampires poo/pee. You already have the answer in previous episode. For vampires, what's not needed, is discarded.
Also, the 200 corpses...Not a mob. You'll see why later. Is kinda important
Zachs attitude. Important also.
Flag
I forget to add. I absolutely loved the opening scene. I now know Vampires have to put on "make-up" and it makes a lot of sense.

Flag
Brings a whole new meaning to 'putting on your face'.
Flag
Ha !
Flag
Aint nuttin' sexy about strain vamps. Dey be ugly as fock.
Flag
I used to think being a vampire would be cool but after seeing that guy lose his weiner down the toilet without caring...NOT SO MUCH! JESUS CHRIST! lol
Flag
Why have that if you won't be able to use it? No reproduction? No penis! Like the nipples on the men or the appendix in the intestine. Throwing away what is useless is not bad. :P
Flag
Actually he's pretty freaked out. They just didn't show it on the show.
Flag
That's the point of the book series. Vampires are not cool. ALSO notice that once you go vampire, you can't turn into an underwear model like TVD or Twilight (only if you are a mature vampire and you start using make up etc. Those are just a few, most vampires are rapid dogs)
Flag
whats it like to have no nose? I don't want to find out.
Flag
You can smell much better and stronger. It feels good but it looks bad.
Flag
Zach already said he is doing this for his dad because dad's job is really important. Did you not see that scene?

BTW, his dad's job is smashing vampires with fire extinguisher. See how important that is :-)

I already told many people here there is no need to worry about the show just because of episode two. This is a good episode with good balance of actions and drama.

Now this show is reminding me of TWD. It is taking itself seriously like a drama and it also have awesome action horror scenes. This is the success of TWD. If it is all about action and horror, TWD would not be so successful.

Now I know Vampires have no penis or was it just the rocker?

Lastly Sean Astin will always be of LOTR fame.
Flag
There's a problem with that: TWD only had a good season (the last one).
Flag
I would disagree. I liked almost all of TWD. The only part which I may slightly dislike was those days at the farm when we first saw Hershel.

I loved season one which was short and had good pace.

I never liked any Zombies movies before and I was NOT a zombie fan. I actually did not wanted to watch TWD despite so many recommendations from others. I finally did it when the show was airing during season two just to shut people up and said I tried. To my surprised, I was hooked after watching episode one of season one and been a fan of the show since.
Flag
Season 1 was the second best for me. Season 2 and 3 had major pacing issues to me.
Flag
Junk questions are pretty much answered in the third book. It has to do with religion and science. I expect we will get the scientific answer by the end of the season. Religious one will have to wait for another.

Vampires dispose of their excrement usually during feeding. It's basically that stuff which coats all surfaces under UV light after they've fed. Overpowering ammonia smell is the side-effect.

Show is progressing nicely, with only minor changes from the book. People are bashing the second episode and all that custody hearings stuff, but that will all become important later on in the show. It's all part of Eph's struggle against vampire infestation.

First book also starts out slow, with only small hints of the horrific things to come and then starts to amp the threat level up like a speeding train. In that regard, second episode has faithfully served the purpose of setting things up and fleshing up all the main characters.
Flag
That was better than last week. I like most of the stuff that pertains to the virus, but don't care about the Goodweather divorce. The last scene in the hospital basement was creepy, but it also got kind of cheesy when Goodweather kept dodging that tongue or whatever it was. I think the best characters are Abraham and Eichorst, though I'm interested to see Fet get involved.
Flag
Yeah, that dodging showed the budget limitations quite well.
Flag
Goodweather divorce and custody battle are pertinent to the later story development. Everything that seems out o place on this show right now becomes important for the later events. It's background, if you will.
Flag
I too have read the books , and they don't need to drag out the Goodweather family conflict so much in the series.
Flag
I think TS has redeemed itself. Samwise is annoying though. Where's Sauron when you need him?
Flag
Things turn pretty grim for 'Samwise' by this time in the book. But I suspect that because of the actor in question, they've decided to change things up for the show and give him a more prominent role to play in later events.
Flag
I'd prefer they just eat him and get it over with.

Vampire Rudy would be better than this guy.
Flag
Anyone would. His acting is awful in TS, though he was perfect in LOTR.
Flag
This episode, sponsored in part by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Marilyn Manson.
CDC Warning: Being too much of an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan is clearly fatal to looking good and being a healthy individual. However, attempting to look like Marilyn Manson may result in winning an afterlife's subscription to a Nair
modelling campaign.
Has anyone wondered what is so special about getting to the island? I mean, I'd of thought a plane load of infectious people with razor worms wandering about would've been enough of a problem. And why is/was the pilot on an open ward still - because he was pleasant?
Are the rats trying to tell viewers something?
Flag
I'm not sure if you've heard the expression 'fleeing like rats from a sinking ship.' That's the case here.
Flag
Tim Surette, like usually doesn't care to have a story unfold.
The Vampires do not need reproductive organs anymore since the worms to the reproducing. Also they only have 1 opening to shit and piss through, and generally to it right while drinking.
The story will unfold and this is just the start. When Surette wrote in his preview "The scene in the plane is the scariest bla bla bla and will only go down from there" I was like wtf?!?!! You apparently did not read the books, because there are tons of scenes that I find a lot more scary than the plane one ...
I rather have a story unfold a bit slower but going strong from there. I liek the strain, like the story and how the people come together, form a team ... and this is in the building. There is enough room to fill a few seasons, there are 3 books even
Flag
I've read that this series is planned for four seasons. Season 1 is book 1, season 2 is book 2, and book 3 will be split over two seasons. I like the idea of the show having a beginning, middle, and end planned from the beginning.
Flag
Indeed ... going to be interesting how things unfold in the TV Series. Found the books to be better than expected (nothing is perfect, and it is a horror book after all, not going to win literature prices) ... and the same counts for the series. So far it is my favorite Horror Series, like it more than TWD already, No guarantees if this won't change after 2 seasons of vampire slaying though :D So far, slow pace = win ... it will catch up :-)
Flag
I agree. One thing that is bugging me in the books: whatever happened to the Luss children and their Haitian nanny? I'm now half way through Night Eternal and the last scene I remember of them was in nanny's house.
Flag
I don't recall exactly, but didn't they get attacked ... I recall hands through the mailthingy and the Nanny having noticed that holy water was useless.
Flag
understand that most people are completely in the dark about the books and the series. their curiosity and speculation is only human.
Flag
Well I complain that they want every bit of information right now and judge that it is "stupid", "illogical" while the truth is that they are just impatient. I love the slow advancement to the ... things that are coming.
Flag
You almost seem like you want Tim to think what you want him to think; ie, only ask questions you want him to ask, and think exclusively inside a box of your own unique design?

Some of the responses to these reviews are bordering on the ridiculous and way too personal. Its just a tv show review, not a badgering license.
Flag
Nice catch on the Setrakian/STRAIN thing, Tim! I too look forward to him throwing down, and I think we're going to see that next week. Yeah, I also think the nerd is going to eat his dog as he 'evolves'.

As to Setrakian and the CDC not seeing eye-to-eye, I think after the "You're not ready!" talkin' to the woman got from Setrakian and what was revealed with the pilot and Eph smashing his head in, they'll be turning to the former's wisdom in no time flat.

A BIG step up from last week's episode! And yeah, the rocker losing his junk and the disturbing show of it was excellent TV!
Flag
One must wonder how many seasons this show will last from a creative standpoint (assuming the ratings continue to be good). How bad will things get? Borderline apocalyptic? Are we talking happy ending here or is it just pessimistic from here on out? (No spoilers please)
Flag
Thing are going to get very, very bad. That's all I'll say so as not to spoil anything for you. I don't yet know how things end in book three, since I'm just reading it, but these characters will go through a meat grinder. Some will collapse, break completely, others will thrive on the chaos, showing their best side. And there will be those who will show us that humanity can be more deprived than bloodsucking parasites.
Flag
They are planning five seasons. 1 for the first two books and 3 for the last book. How bad will things get? Let's say a lot worse than The Walking Dead :)
Flag
A lot worse than TWD is very bad ! Hmm...I hope we get to see all the books.
Flag
I appreciate a good sci fi and good horror show.
great story line, pretty scary. I regularly look away because I'm to afraid or getting nausea.
fine show
Flag
Yes, this episode was the best one till now yet not VERY good. And what if the results of the vampire saliva in the plane is STILL not here? What if Eph and Nora won't examine the blood worms? What if they were only slightly terrified with the new face of the pilot? What if I am not looking at the screen when Eph's family drama kicks in? As long as there is enough Thomas Eichorst and Abraham Setrakian, the show can't fail!

Flag
It's not vampire saliva. It's waste they exude (piss) whenever they feed on human blood. It's actually very well thought out as is the process of changing from human to vampire. Take the loss of sexual organs for example, vampires would no longer need em because they don't reproduce or exude waste as a human. They become asexual. What I like most about the Strain is that guillermo del toro and chuck hogan came up with the best concept/origin of vampires I've ever read or watched.
Flag
I would say with the best implementation in the physical world. The origin, while totally cool and great, is 100% supernatural so not really original. But the way this supernatural state (vampires are like a state, not a species) realizes in the human world, I agree with you, one of the best if not THE best
Flag
Tim it seems that you have no concept of how a story progresses (and to be fair, after reading the comment section neither do a lot of the people that watch this show). Sorry to be redundant but I'm gonna repeat myself from last week. If you want the instant gratification from seeing blood, guts, and gore in every scene watch Friday the 13th or something to that effect. I personally think that all three episodes have been really good. And that everything shown (even the drama surrounding Eph and the custody battle) has been necessary for future events. Structure and story telling is a good thing in any show Tim.
Flag
But the acting of some of the actors and a lot of the dialogue is downright atrocious.
This is why people (Tim) are just not caring about the characters and the setups.
Flag
Pretty much every TV show and movie has structure and story telling, however. (Although David Lynch, Tommy Wiseau, and Ed Woods might disagree with me. ;) ). The question is, is it good structure and story telling?

Foreshadowing is a good storytelling device. That doesn't mean it has to be boring or uninteresting, however. Or excludes gore. The Master smashing in Bishop's head is gory, but it also foreshadows the way to "permanently" kill vamps, as we see when Eph inadvertently does the same thing this episode. And as Abraham will no doubt spell out down the road.
Flag
When I read that Tim is in charge here, I was like "oh noes!" .... already his preview sucked, the guy just likes to hear himself talk.
Flag
As another staff member recently confirmed, staff are assigned and what shows are paid to be reviewed based on # of page views. Not what people post. So visiting to see what TIm has to say, and posting to say that he is a poor reviewer, is the worst way to stop him from doing future reviews.

I'm sure Tim appreciates it, though. ;)
Flag
Reply tot he other comment further in:

Having a strong dislike for a show is nonbiased? You make no sense.
I'd prefer someone writing about a show that brings some enthusiasm with them. But Tims bashing of Homeland and glorifying Revolution happened on the Homeland Reviews and was over the top annoying, was so glad when someone else took over.
I mean it is ok that Revolution or The Vampire Diaries have their audience, but there is no reason for me to go there and rant about it.
Flag
Well, I recall shows that weren't so bad where Tim just bashed the show in and out while glorifying Revolution. I mean if he doesn't care about the show, why him? Oh I forgot, just as you said it is for the $$$ and not for the show or the audience. Silly system.
Flag
I don't think a reviewer is required to care about a show to review it. In fact, I'd think that would lead to a rather biased review.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members