A The Strain Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on FX (Returning August 28, 2016)
I can understand why some people feel that the show is going slow, but come on, things have to build up a little before going in to full vampire mode... - And having just read the graphic novel, (which, so far nearly works as storyboards for the series) I can safely say that there´s absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to gore and creepy scenes... Just stay with it, and give it some time, it´ll get there eventually. By comparison we are still in the first half of the first graphic novel...
33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well said! I enjoyed the episode and I think it is important to build up character in a show. Don't do it for the whole season, but there will be episodes like this in every show! I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this way ( I too have read the graphic novel and the books)!
Flag
I agree the review was unfair but it is something that you just have to accept when it comes to Tim's reviews. He is known for taking very wild stances that are atypical of the general public. His tastes are just different to ours - as long as you make yourself aware of the reviewer, then it shouldn't bother you.
Flag
I see where you´re coming from, but a good and objective review leaves out personal taste, and considers who would like the production who wouldn´t. That being said, I usually feel that Tim indeed is fair in his reviews, and enjoys reading them. I just didn´t find him to be very fair in this one...
Flag
Tim often gets the easy reviews right but when he gets them wrong, he gets them wrong in a spectacular way look at this review of his, it is an episode which most consider to be a highlight of the entire series and yet he quite unjustifiably slammed it.
Either he has some pretty poor taste (and judging from his lack of gorefest complaints relating to The Strain, I am inclined to believe this is the cause) and is unable to keep his bias from his writing; or he slams episodes just for the controversy factor like some kind of shock-reviewer.
Flag
A troll specializing in "click-bait"?
Flag
I, too, don't see why Tim focused on the failed drama. The B horror, the wooden acting, the incredibly goofy characters and the bad dialogue are enough. Especially when this comes from an atmospheric A horror book. You say you have read the book... So have I... Are you satisfied with this seriously dumbed down adaptation?
Flag
I never said I read the books, I´ve read the graphic novels. Which so far, as I stated above, nearly serves as storyboards for the show, with only minor changes... I can´t really say I´m satisfied, not yet anyway, the show needs at least four or five episodes before I can declare whether or not I´m gonna keep watching. That´s why I urged people to stick with it...
Flag
It wasn't an unfair review of episode two.

One of the first lines he said was "remember how I loved this show last week" so he's not bashing the whole series just has some reservations about how it may be going if 'the box' type of storylines continue.

And yes things need to build up but you had a lot of vampire-contagion stuff in the first episode and almost none in the next one. That makes no kind of sense if you figure by the time 'the box' starts there are literally dozens of vampires now roaming the city chewing on loved ones. But we see almost none of it.

Instead all of a sudden NOW we go into back-story mode on tons of characters who for the average viewer have little or nothing to do with the Vampire situation at all.

And congratulations on being a fan because you just read the graphic novel, but as I've told a dozen others like you, the books should have nothing to do with how viewers of the tv series should have to be treated.

There's also no guarantee that just because the graphic novel was good that the tv series will follow suit. Another poster I've read a lot talks both sides of the issue and having listened to the audio tapes admits they are leaving out tons of information in the books that makes the tv series blander.

So we'll see.

I think this Tim fellow was more than fair.
More+
Flag
..and congrats to you mr sarcarsm... first of all, I never said I was a "fan" I just said that I had read the graphic novels and enjoyed them for the good story. Does that make me a fan? No, just a person who likes a good story. - and who fund the review of episode 2 a bit to subjective.
Secondly, as I wrote above, so far the show nearly uses the graphic novels as storyboards with only minor changes, so yes that should indicate that the show at least puts an efford in being like the book or novel if you will.
Finally, of course we need a backstory for all the different characters. I can, of course, only speak for my self, but I need to actually care and know something about persons on a show, in order to feel anything if something happens with one of the main characters. So excuse me for not agreeing with Tim or yourself...
Flag
There was no sarcasm in my reply, just a difference of opinion.

Taking offense when someones opinion of a show does differ from yours (in the negative) does make you look like a fan.

If you're not a fan then I don't see why you are defending the show based on an entirely different medium and assuming it can accurately predict how good the show is going to be "if only I had the proper ability to understand it" as you first suggested.

Flag
I didn't read the books so hearing there should have been a back story on Setrakian and the Nazi guy is interesting, certainly would have added punch to the story. Still it's only 2 eps. in and they can certainly delve into relevant flashbacks carrying forward. If this show is intended to carry on longer than one season, don't be the least bit surprised to see a lot more "less relevant" back stories getting a lot of play time and the overall story as compared to the books moving slower.
I've like the show so far
Flag
You know when people said ep 2 was kind of a little too talky heads I gave a heavy sigh and hit play ready to drudge through it. By the end of the ep I have to say I liked it more than ep 1. They're laying some ground work, I got to know some of these characters, and by the end of the ep I actually had an attachment to some of them.
Flag
The episode was an episode 8 when the audience is already hooked, it need much more pace in order to get people in, so the show can go for many seasons, no 1 season.
Flag
People need to learn patience, stop looking for instant gratification, or stop complaining about episodic television with no arcs.
Flag
I ejoyed the second episode and didn't like Tim's review. Shows don't have to blast you in the face every week to keep it interesting and good. I really need to track down the books.
Flag
Without even reading the books, Tim sensed something was missing. Its the glue that connects all the seemingly random filler from eps one and two.
Flag
Well, I have been a critic of Tim in the past... mainly for his grossosities (that's slang for over-doing-the-being foul outrageous) but that doesn't mean to say that he doesn't have a point... it was slow... its TV and not comic and, just like TWD, there needs to be a pace set by the medium (TV vs Comic) and also a style etc... financially, I suspect for many programs, there is a bit too much padding... I think he picked this one fine...
Flag
exactly
Flag
Tim hates everything and reviews many shows I like. I just dont read his recaps anymore. I think he maybe a hipster.....
Flag
I had no real big issue with the second episode. However FX needs to allow some of their shows a full 2hours for pilots. The second episode felt like part of the pilot. Had it been that way then it would not have felt slow to a lot of people.
Flag
Oh, I really liked the second episode a lot better than the pilot. I attributed it more to that it was feeling more like a good horror vampire story in the second episode along the lines of Blade or something like that whereas the pilot sort of felt like some weird version of Outbreak that I wasn't enjoying. The turn also comforted me because I had this concern that this story and the story in the Twelve trilogy were so similar and then the pilot was disappointing to me because I felt like the origin of the Virals was so fascinating and part of the really good portions of the Twelve (which is overall kind of depressing second book in a series) is the downfall of the government and then the second hand account of what seemed to be happening around the world before they cut us off and the pilot was like ugh, this seems silly. My only hope is that we just don't spend a long time getting the team together (which I presume is Eff, Nora, Gus, Abraham, and the health inspector guy).
Flag
"The Twelve"... isn't that the second book in "the Passage" trilogy---which, by the way, is infinitely superior to the Strain, and likely the best vampire literature ever written?

The second book in the Strain is "the Fall"
Flag
Yes, but I think the whole series is called The Twelve and just the first book was the Passage (because of what Lucy was holding for Amy and Peter) and of course the Twelve is weird because if I count correctly, Zero, the remaining enemy would make them thirteen, but then he was the original researcher.
Flag
Ack, I'm sorry, I read your initial post too quickly, and thought you were confusing the two trilogies. After re-reading, I realize you were comparing them :)

I have to confess, I've only read the Passage---and, despite being my favorite book of the year, I've held off on reading the sequel (the Twelve) because, after I started reading it, I realized I didn't remember who half the characters were... so I'm currently building up the motivation to re-read the Passage!

Do you agree with my bold statement that the Twelve trilogy is "likely the best vampire literature ever written"? I'm curious :) I definitely think it's the most CINEMATIC vampire story---a movie version of that book would be insane, what with all the gloriously excellent action scenes and fantastic characters. (You might not be able to respond to this post directly; if not, just reply to your own post and I'll keep an eye on this thread!)
Flag
I am usually on the author's side on weird story positions and Justin Cronin really doesn't think of them as vampires (though they totally are) so other than that it is great. I think I have read the Passage at least twice but maybe three times because there is a POV character in the Twelve and then secondary ones you really didn't pay attention to in the Passage. You should totally pick up the reading again. The latter part of the Twelve has a lot of hard events to get through and you might be better off moving right to City of Mirrors when it comes out in October rather than sitting with it for over two years if you had read it when it came out.
Flag
Having just read the first book, Tim's assumption that the showrunners are trying to pad the episode, because they don't have enough material for the entire season, just doesn't stand.

The show is taking things in the right direction. Slow burning horror buildup to an outright crescendo. Book clearly shows how vulnerable modern society would be to such an event. We are skeptical and cynical in our arrogance, even when horror is staring us in the eyes. I foresee some great stuff on this show, based on what I've read so far.
Flag
Couldn't agree more. I think people took a few cheesy lines from the pilot, and assumed the Strain is campy horror. It's not. It's solid horror, whose pilot episode happened to have some really cheesy lines ("it's like a dead animal", lol).

Having read the books, I think the storytelling has been VERY tight. The last episode was "slow", but that hardly means it wasn't good---I mean, does "slow" apply considering that two hundred ravenous vampires were just unleashed on Manhattan? I think people either aren't paying attention, or are too busy waiting for blood spatter to contemplate the horrors to come. I for one am very glad the Strain isn't "I Am Legend" or "World War Z," blowing its load in the first five minutes: Instead, Manhattan is clearly on the brink, and the suspense is building beautifully.

As for the time spent on character development: The characters who have been introduced are all important, and they've been developed in multiple dimensions with a minimum of screen time---there was literally no fluff in that episode. Sure, development often happens through the use of genre tropes (what people arbitrarily declare "cliches" when they want to be critical), but such devices are expedient ways to flesh out a character without having to spend hours in boring conversation.

Bottom line: This episode efficiently covered a lot of necessary stage-setting without losing steam, by keeping that steady burn of suspense going strong and giving us more than a few absolutely electric scenes (Nazi and Setrakian, the girl at the end).
More+
Flag
Finally someone who agrees with me. I have read the books and I believe that they are setting up the stage nicely. There is nothing wrong with giving background info for your characters and having them struggle with their everyday problems. In my opinion that is what makes them seem more real and it makes people care about them. All characters have flaws and their good sides as well.

Also you should pay attention to what Eichrost and Abraham said to each other.

I love that scene they hint at things that have gone on before between the two of them and it foreshadows of what will happen. Its an excellent scene where both the hero and villain have too look each other in the eye in a tense showdown of wills.

More over that chilling sound of cracking glass, because of Eichrosts single finger pressing against it. Every word of that conversation sent shivers up my spine.

That conversation just hints at what Abraham has had to endure and has had to loose in order to prevail against evil. Keep in mind just because you are a hero doesn't mean you don't loose people and you get to live happily ever after and get everything you want.

Abraham got a real world ending he doesn't look like a hero. Its obvious that it looks like the world he saved continued to move on indifferent, and oblivious to him and his sacrifices to save it.

That being said keep in mind this is comparing vampires and their creation to a disease not supernatural lore. Its not like where you are bitten and you instantly become one. In THE STRAIN it doesn't work that way.

All people when they are bitten by vampires in The Strain universe, go through a, incubation period, before they transform into their true selves. Keep in mind that, that is like how some diseases work. In this case the vampire strain is in its early stage and it is slowly going to start spreading.

Trust me all of you who want your action and blood will get it. All of this is just the calm before the storm.

The world, as all the characters know it, will soon go down the toilet and strait to
heck soon enough.

Cheers Dogsfur
More+
Flag
Tim's problem isnt giving characters background, he's watching the show blind . He doesnt know that setrakian and the master's background was cut from the opening and second episode of the series. thats whats missing.

The producers cut away the real and relevant background, then inflated the irrelevant and unimportant bs to fill out the time slot.

It left us watching 12 step horse shit when we shouldve been meeting Sardou and Young Setrakian. There's a reason the book is laid out the way it is, and it was written for tv.

You already read the books, you already know the backstory, so for you, there's no blanks to fill in. You're just watching stuff you've already read about.
Flag
Good point. I suppose it would be like watching all the hobbit and lord of the rings movies without reading the books.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members