Recommendation?

jamoon2006

[1]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 36
    I've been curious about checking this show out - as a fan of Columbo, Rockford and other 70s era detective shows, is this something I would enjoy too? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heybuddyboy

[2]Nov 24, 2007
    • level: 2

Bit of a late reply, you've probably already made your choice, but i only recently thought to check tv.com for any fans of this show! Might as well answer you.

I just checked it out, having never watched before, since they released the DVDs. I've watched and really enjoyed shows like Magnum, Columbo, S&H, The Professionals, ATeam, etc etc. I'd say there's a good chance you'll really enjoy this, i am. I would warn you that for the first few episodes they really focus on the case, and hardly pay the two main cops any attention at all. It's kinda surprising when you're not used to it, but there's plenty of character development if you're patient, and i think the focus shifts as the season progresses. I'd say buy Vol.1 and give it a go. I'm loving the relationship between Mike and Steve, and even when the show looks towards the cases rather than them, there's some pretty good guest acting and some pretty emotional subjects!

Plus, in the street scenes it's so much fun seeing the huge crowds of people lining the pavement to watch them shoot the scene! Lol.

Reviews tend to be differing, so you're likely going to have to try and show and see. The fact that i'm overdosing on episodes every night, and have just made a fansite, speaks for itself.

EDIT: aha, you have tried it already! Just saw your reviews. Feel free to ignore all the above

Edited on 11/24/2007 4:38pm

jamoon2006

[3]Nov 25, 2007
    • level: 36

Thanks for your reply, though!

I agree, the first couple episodes weren't all that strong, but I'm onto Disc 3 of Volume 1 and am enjoying it. I'll be posting some more reviews when I get the chance.

Ultraman_Kuri

[4]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 1
    Great show, it was definitely a passing of the torch show of its time. Mike Stone in his hat and trenchcoat like all the old timers, learned things the hard way, Steve with his tweed jackets and suave hairstyle and "college education". They worked so well together, learning from each other. I just wish all the generations could get along so well!

Still one of the best cop dramas of all time, in one of the most scenic cities of all time.