The Super Hero Squad Show Forums

Saturday 6:30 AM on Cartoon NetworkBetween Seasons

Why No Spider-Man?

Peeptoad

[1]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 1

Does anyone know why Spider-Man is not in this show? They made a couple of jokes at his expense in the most recent episode that make me wonder even more, such as:

Mayor: "I heard about this one guy that got special powers when he was bitten by a radioactive bug."

Dr. Strange: "oh, come on, you just made that up."

And

Wolverine: "The mayor has great responsibilities."

Mayor: "And with great responsibilities comes great power, and uh... vice versa."

There is a Superhero Squad toy of Spider-Man, and he appears in the video game, so why not the show? I was thinking that maybe Columbia Pictures has some kind of exclusivity deal with the movies that doesn't allow Spidey to appear in any other movies or shows, but if that were the case then "The Spectacular Spider-Man" cartoon couldn't have been made so... I don't know. Is it just some sort of licensing issue or is there another reason for him not to appear at all?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HEATXZ

[2]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    It might be licensing issues or they could be just focusing on the other Marvel heroes,Batman The Brave and The Bold doesn't have Superman nor Wonder Woman

Super_Steve38

[3]Jan 2, 2010
    • level: 40
    I guess he will show up on the final episode of the season. But who really knows?

DrkMgcn399

[4]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 26
    If he does show up, it'll probably be in Season 2 and more than likely try to make him into a series regular if they can.

Batman395

[5]Feb 20, 2010
    • level: 20
    Maybe Spidey will replace Silver Surfer in Season 2.

Peeptoad

[6]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 1

A little update here since I found out the answer to my own question.

The reason that Spider-Man did not appear in season 1 was indeed due to licensing. Apparently Sony owned the television rights to Spidey and wouldn't allow him to appear in the show. I think it had something to do with them not wanting him appearing in two shows at once, or that they felt that SHS was too ridiculous and would tarnish the character or something, I don't know. However, Sony turned the rights over to Marvel in September of last year, so now Marvel/Disney can do with the character as they please. The bad news regarding this though is that now "The Spectacular Spider-Man" is in limbo as it has not been renewed for a third season, but has also not officially been canceled.

Now, according to Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt, I don't know what their source is), a second season of this series has been confirmed. There will be a new permanent member added to the squad, and Spider-Man will be appearing, though it does not state whether Spidey is the permanent member or not. Other characters that will allegedly be appearing include Nova, Daredevil, Zeus, Hercules, Captain Marvel, Annihilus, She-Hulk & The Squadron Supreme.

teenj12

[7]Jul 18, 2010
    • level: 26
    Peeptoad wrote:

A little update here since I found out the answer to my own question.

The reason that Spider-Man did not appear in season 1 was indeed due to licensing. Apparently Sony owned the television rights to Spidey and wouldn't allow him to appear in the show. I think it had something to do with them not wanting him appearing in two shows at once, or that they felt that SHS was too ridiculous and would tarnish the character or something, I don't know. However, Sony turned the rights over to Marvel in September of last year, so now Marvel/Disney can do with the character as they please. The bad news regarding this though is that now "The Spectacular Spider-Man" is in limbo as it has not been renewed for a third season, but has also not officially been canceled.

Now, according to Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt, I don't know what their source is), a second season of this series has been confirmed. There will be a new permanent member added to the squad, and Spider-Man will be appearing, though it does not state whether Spidey is the permanent member or not. Other characters that will allegedly be appearing include Nova, Daredevil, Zeus, Hercules, Captain Marvel, Annihilus, She-Hulk & The Squadron Supreme.

Yea,I heard about this too.Every one is so Obsessed with Spidey appearing in the show.