The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians

The Fear

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Oct 05, 1985 on ABC

• The seeds for the 90's Batman are laid here...

First up, whoever thought Adam West couldn't do a serious Batman needs only watch this darkest of all non-Legion/Darkseid eps. For the first time in any Batman broadcast, the commonly-known story of how Bruce Wayne became the Batman is told. An earlier Super Friends series had mentioned Robin's circus past, and the 60's live-action had mentioned the Waynes' murders, but not as their reason for being.

First of all, Scarecrow's thugs refer to our hero as 'The Batman'. Next, we have Batman's nightmares coming right out of Crime Alley. Add in such touches as WW appearing as Diana Prince, and you already have a good episode. But West portrays Batman's torment so well, you immediately forget that this was the guy blamed for clowning Bats up. I have to believe that the people who made this helped inspire the feel of BTAS, especially when you look at the similar episode also featuring the Scarecrow and Bruce's fears about his parent's murders. As Batman overcomes his one and only fear, smashing the Scarecrow's skull-shaped fear projector, for one brief shining moment the Batman of the Super Friends is a scary avenger of the night.