The Thin Blue Line Forums

BBC (ended 1996)

Why did it stop?

cybertimes

[1]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    As far as I can see, it just ended in the second season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CameroAJEh

[2]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 10

Wiki points to criticism, though as always, its reliability can be questioned:

'Although popular, the series was panned by critics who cited uneven character development, for example Goody's crush on Habib, though Goody is portrayed with campy, effeminate homosexual mannerisms. Similarly, despite Habib's avowed socially conscious feminism, she became an unintentional sex symbol. In 2004, it came 34th in Britain's Best Sitcom.'

I don't understand why everybody needs to get so hung up on character quirks. For me, it's funny that Goody acts effeminitely but adores Habib. It's funny that Habib is socially conscious but becomes an unintentional sex symbol. These are just some of the apparent 'paradoxes' that made the show entertaining to watch.

Elton had spearheaded critically appraised shows such as Blackadder prior however, so it would not be too far to suggest that critic dissaproval after 2 series would be enough for those used to higher levels of success to call it a day and move on. I wish they hadn't though. Too much 'hoighty toighty goodness' in this show.

expatriot

[3]May 5, 2007
    • level: 53
    It's a real shame it ended

hateater27

[4]Nov 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    I think it ended because Elton got fed up of the critics attacking him. There was nothing wrong with TBL, and it could have been even better if it went on for more series', but there you go. Elton was renouned for his controversial sitcoms, so when this one came along some didn't like it. I still think it's hilarious, though. Goody, especially, was brilliant.