Tick, The (Animated)

FOX (ended 1996)

Gislef

Tick, The (Animated) Fan Reviews (32)

• All I need say is "SPOON!!"

It was beyond my comprehension when it first came out, but since I have gotten wiser with as I have come to appreciate it more. Mocking versions of basically every super hero. Indestructible idiot for the main character. Why this was a kids show I do not know because although I liked it at the time my understanding of the show was limited, much like when I was young watching Seinfeld. Arthur, Deflatter Mouse, American Maid all these characters and more made it great, it even had story continuity showing where the moon was written on by a laser in all episodes following that one.
  • "When I was a kid, we only could say spoon"...lol

The Tick was a favorite childhood favorite. Not that I grew up watching it, but I really enjoyed watching it when I was around a decade. The Tick still manages to deliver entertainment while the show has been canceled since back sometime in the 90's. After I watched just the first season of The Tick, you really can't resist yelling out "SPOON" in random places at random times. Both the Tick and Authur deleiver their own special character which seem to be complete opposite, but they still manage to stick together as a team. The Tick gets a 9.3 from me for everlasting interest.
  • This cartoon broke the mold of superhero shows.

"The Tick" broke the mold for superhero shows. It was very odd and wacky. The characters were very original and extremely crazy in a good way. The Tick is a superhero with super strength and agility, but a little short on brains. Aurthur is his side kick, The Human Moth, who used to be an accountant who dreamed of being a superhero. The Tick and Arthur run into each other and Aurthur becomes the unwilling side kick. They meet several other oddball superheros as they go about their daily task of protecting The City from evildoers. This show was hilarious. I wish it hadn't gotten canceled.
  • One Very Odd But Cool Show

The Tick was very odd but one awesome show. A funny action comedy animated show. The Tick was simply about heros who were lazy and lame yet cool. They never really did much still enough. The villains were all very creative and cool. It was a original show. The show did not last too long cause of its oddity. It lasted longer than the live version as that was a flop. U cant compare it to the cartoon as it was excellent. Always a crazy cool show that was a blast to watch. The best thing about the show was it was funny and strange. In the end a very cool cartoon that got screwed.
  • A screamingly funny send-up of the superhero genre! The clueless yet profound Tick, his harried sidekick Arthur trying to pay the bills and deal with his sister who just doesn't understand...

I have to say this was brilliant! It was on at 8:30 in the morning when I was in college, we would get up early Saturday mornings to watch it, then go back to sleep! The Tick and his wonderful seemingly inane commentary, but if you think about it, he's reallly deep! I loved the parodies of classic superheroes like Der Fledermaus and American Maid, but the others were great, too, from Sewer Urchin and the Human Bullet, to the little-seen Bi-Polar Bear!

And the villains! The Breadmaster! El Seed & his cornfield army! I liked how there was continuity in this show, not something you usually see in animation. Like the C H A that was in the moon right from the time Chairface Chippendale carved his initials into in, and that continuity continued right up to when Omnipotus took a bite out of the moon! There was a later episode with some background music, the song was 'I'll Take A Bite Out of The Moon For You!'

Just a great show, I missed it & of course I own it on DVD now! The FOX TV live-action series was okay, brilliant casting of Patrick Warburton as the Tick, he nailed it, but that's another site!
  • Very Creative & Cool

The Tick was a funny cartoon. It had action and comedy. Two super heros who were lame but cool. The Tick & Arthur who was not even a real super hero. They always fought weird villians who were cool. U also had American Maid,Die Fledermaus & Sewer Urchin. They were also like lame and never did much but were cool. The show was always odd,funny and creative. It didnt last long simply cause it was odd and i dont think people got it. Lasted longer than the live version as it was not very good and the cartoon was better but got so screwed. My favorite thing about the show was the characters and the comedy. In the end,a great odd ball show that did not get its due but has it fans.
  • Quote: "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."

This show was definitely ahead of its time. The comedy that it delivered was wry and tongue and cheek with over the top slap stick hilarity. The Tick is just a big dumb oaf but with the ability to articulate his stupidity in a sensible way that doesn't come off as another neanderthal grunting. If you think about it, Arthur as the forelorn side kick stuck watching over The Tick, can be compared to any office worker that is constantly pulling their boss out of the fire. More often than not, the boss says ore does something that the office worker has to fix or repair. But in the end its the Boss that nabs the glory. And despite this one sided relationship, the office worker sticks by the boss because inside they are a good person.

But maybe The Tick said it better: "I hate broccoli, and yet, in a certain sense, I am broccoli."

• UHHHHHHHHHHHH?

7.3
    What can I say. It\'s a darn good show that Feels alot like Bo-Bo-Bo. I have a feeling that if this had been a show that came out a few years later, it would have lasted longer. I still watch it on toon disney when its on and I wish there were more episodes. It had alot of funny moments and I can see how it got cancelled being on fox and all.
  • Great parody of the superhero genre

Another 1990s entry in the animated superhero genre. This show is not well animated at all, but it is funny. The Tick is essentially a superhero parody which makes use of any pun it can think of. Enemies include Brain Child (kid with a big brain)Breadmaster (maser of cooking who makes grenade rolls) and his sidekick Pat (a stick of butter), El Seed (a flower headed dude), Barry - another guy that calls himself the Tick, a mucus Tick clone, and Man Eating Cow (a cow).

Tick is assigned to \"the city\" and there are plenty of other heros around. There is a batman parody The Deflator Mouse (or Batmanuel) and a Wonder Woman parody American Maid. There are also some other bizzare guys like 4-legged man, and carpet man (he has carpet armor and is always sweating).

I have only seen season 1, but it is funny. Tick hangs out with his sidekick Arthur (in a moth costume) who used to be an accountant. They fight crime, and though the Tick is a bozo, he is really tough and Arthur is his brains.

This is a smart show that while parodying superheroes, shows resect for the genre as well.
  • "Honk for JUSTICE!"

The Tick was one of my all time favorite shows. I was sooo sad when I found out that it was cancelled. It never became as big as I had hoped for, and it seems as though the majority of people didn;t catch on. I still to this very day find it hilarious. Where else can you have a superhero battle-cry "SPOON!" And I didn't like just the Tick, but all of the characters involved, heros and villans. The Sewer Urchin was definatly my favorite, especially in the episdoe Tick vs Filth. My other favorie episode is HEROES which is a spoof on COPS. So much can be said about this show that I can write for days. I just bought the first season on DVD, and cannot wait for the others. This way, I will be able to enjoy this underappreciated show for years and years to come.
  • A hilarious off the wall cartoon

The Tick. A parody of probably every super hero ever thought up. Superman was probably hiding from embarassment while the rest of the world was laughing at the Tick's hilarious antics. Superhero's with weird names and powers and equally oddball villians. Absurd jokes and off the wall humor through out the whole of the cartoon. The Tick, I believe, was probably cancelled for being ahead of its time. I don't think most people were quite ready for that type of off the wall humor yet. I think looking back now people would like to give The Tick a second chance.
  • Spoooon! (deja-vu?)

A great spoof of all those action packed cartoons. First, there's The Tick: Seven feet tall and 800 pounds of blue and muscle, but not brains. Next, was his sidekick Arthur, who wore a moth suit. He could also fly, or rather glide. Tick and Arthur would always defeat evil wherever it is and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat each time. They had their share of superhero friends: Die Fladermaus, who talked big but was really a coward. Sewer Urchin, who was braver than Die Fladermaus but lived in a sewer so nobody wanted to be around him much. American Maid, whom Die Fladermaus had a crush on, but always chose to childishly insult her. Dinosaur Neil, who is Arthur's brother in-law. But they also had their share of villains: El Seed, the human flower, Chairface Chippendale, The Terror, Forehead, Mr. Mental, Multiple Santa, etc. There were some good episodes, like the one "Tick Loves Santa", where the friends battle Multiple Santa who kept multiplying. Or how about "Tick vs. Arthur's Bank Account" where Tick spends all Arthur's money on a frivilous investment. "Tick vs. Tick" was a classic! Tick, Arthur, Die Fladermaus and Sewer Urchin attend a superheroes convention and Arthur has to stay in the sidekick lounge. Another superhero who called himself The Tick was there.
  • 1 Word: SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!

Any show where there are little blue midgets beating someone with fish, has got to be made into a religion. Every week The Tick amazed and gave way to seriously wasrped imagination I.E. The whale in green overalls jogging across America. Chairface, Dean, the moustache, and Thrakkerzog. Need I say More
  • Thank everything that is wonderful for Ben Edlund.

I have always loved comic books. I love comic book heroes, I love comic book villains, I love the stories, and I love the books. That said, I think it's fantastic that Ben Edlund was able to make fun of all of it.

"The Tick" is one of my all time favorite cartoon shows. Frankly, I think that Edlund (who wound up writing a decent number of the episodes) was able to hit it for his character in this form best of all. There's the insanity of the character from the original twelve issue series, but with enough hope so that the whole thing doesn't leave you feeling like all heroes are ego-driven maniacs.

If any of you like comic books and haven't read the original Tick series, get out there and read them, because they're pretty wild. But by the time you finish reading the last couple issues, you just feel a little freaked out by the whole thing. The cartoon was able to give me the wonderful feelings form the comic book without the creepy "I'm not so sure this is Kansas anymore" feeling I had by issue twelve.

The Tick is a real hero. He knows what's right and wrong, even when he doesn't really know what's going on. He's almost Quixotic, and I think all kids need a bit of Quixote to keep them going. Not that the show wouldn't have been better if Fox had marketed it to adults. He's an adult concept, when it all comes down to it, and that aging down of the show was one of the biggest reasons why it eventually was cancelled.

Still, I will always remember "The Tick" fondly. "You call this a haiku? You're just counting sylables! Get back in the water!"

Aaaah... memories...
  • Not that great, in fact...lame

2.5
    This show is basically just annoying, in the sense that it rips off superheroes, and in almost every episode they start ranting about safety things like "Don't give your kid too much asprin" and it's in many ways, just plain dumb. I don't believe this was a very productive show, It's not funny, but more annoying, also the villians have items for heads. I mean there's a guy with a chair for a head and he's called Chairface...that's lame as far as I'm concerened...
  • Take a gander at the main page!

Well, this show was totally and utterly ridiculious but it was also hard to resist watching. It was completely hilarious! I will never forget the Tick searching for a battle cry and coming up with "Spoon!" Boy did I crack up! The show was a total spoof of the "superhero worship" which was developing and that made it hard not to watch.
  • The Tick is one of the most original cartoons and I miss it!

I remember watching the Tick the first time. i laughed so hard I almost cried. I was rollign through channels one early Saturday morning and came across it. It has a great deal of adult humor and comedy. My daughter loved it and so did I. I wish it hadn't ended. It is one of the most original cartoons out there. I loved watching it with the kids and my husband. Bring it back!
  • Super funny!!!

They really need to bring this show back on the air. Although the tick himself is a pretty funny character, I think the best part of the show were all the funny bad guys they came up with and the other funny superheroes. It was cleverly done. Some episodes were not up to par, but most of the episodes are pretty good for some laughs.
  • Great show!

I was so happy when I found out that the Tick was on Toon Disney - I've missed this show more than I knew, and better yet, I hadn't seen it in years so it's almost new!

If you love the Tick, I highly recommend you check out the original comics. They're somewhat darker, definitely not for kids, but they're hilarious.

• This classic is a sign of better times for cartoons

Back in these days we has some great cartoons...and amoung the best of them was The Tick...a very humorous take on the many super hero cartoon that were poping out around the time. The Tick was about the big blue hair brained super hero that would fight all the most ridiculus villain the world has ever seen such as a man with a chair for a head or a pineapple man....there was a short lived live action verson that poped around 2001 which was entertaining but never manage to be as entertaining as the cartoon it's self.
  • An exaggeration of super heoroes led by the big blue bug of justice!

"The Tick" is the creation of comic writer and artist Ben Edlund. After becoming a huge cult hit, the show was made into a Saturday morning cartoon on Fox Kids.

The Tick is an insane man (in the comic, he breaks out of an asylum) who feels he is destined to become a super hero. He has strength and nigh-invulnerability. He soon meets up with Arthur, an accountant who found a flying moth suit that now craves adventure. Together, they protect The City from all forms of evil, be it a one-hundred-year-old super villain, a child with a giant brain, a paleantologist who turns into a rampaging dinosaur, or Joseph Stalin!

The humor from "The Tick" comes from the fact the fact that Tick takes the basic concept of traditional comic book super heroes and exaggerates them to a comical degree. Since most super heroes have a witty battle cry to shout before a fight, the Tick decided to shout "Spoon!" Within all the hilarious moments, however, are messages on how to live a better life. "The Tick vs. Arthur" teaches you to be yourself, while "The Tick vs. Chairface Chippendale" teaches that you shouldn't attempt to use a giant laser to write your name on the moon. :P

All in all, "The Tick" is one of my favorite shows ever created and was a great three seasons to tune into Fox Kids.
  • Quite possibly one of the most genius cartoons ever! May I join the world in saying "SPOOOOOOOOOON!"

"Oy Gavalt!" What a show! The Tick is SO VERY funny. Well, at least in the later episodes. Earlier episodes are weak in their humor, but hey, they're first episodes.

The Tick puts a hidden humor in it for comic book readers. For example, The Human Ton (which is the single most genius cartoon thing ever! Just look at Handy!) could be considered a play on the X-Men villain, the Blob. Or Baron Violent, who grows bigger by adjusting a knob on his belt. Such a thing might be traced back to Bane from the Batman comics. Or even Venus could be taken for a rather gross version of Poison Ivy.

The Tick's humor is for children, but there are some (well, several) instances where it takes a sophisticated sense of humor to get it. So, for kids who aren't quite raised like myself, it's a little bit difficult to understand. Half of it I wouldn't have gotten when it was on Fox Kids. Nowadays, it's a little bit funnier.

This show is a great thing to watch, and far surpasses most of the crud on Fox Kids now. But, unfortunately, the biggest problem for The Tick might just be the adult humor. Hopefully, it will stay on Toon Disney. Give it up one more time for the Tick! "SPOOOOOON!"
  • The City needs a decent hero, One who is ready for action, Smart, brave, Unfortunally they got the Tick, but he's doing a good job, save the City from the Villians who live there like Chairface Chippendale and El Seed, So if you're in danger Listen for on

Everyday when I go to my room to go to bed I turn on the T.V ready to hear the best word, SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. The Tick is a instint classic, it has everything, comedy, Cool Heros, and even Cool Villians like, Chairface Chippendale, El Seed and the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midngiht(And so he says to me, you want to be a bad guy? and I say Yeah Baby! I want to be bad! I says Churchill space ponies I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!) So if your still up check this show out
  • One of the cleverest cartoons ever!

A big dumb superhero (The Tick, if you didn't know) partnered with an ordinary guy who happens to find a moth suit (Arthur) is just the start of this show. Clever and riotously funny, I couldn't wait for the next episode. The villians were suitably wacky just like the heros. I just adored the relationship (or lack thereof) between ex-lovers Die Fledermaus and American Maid.

• The Tick...what can I say besides, "spoon!"

There really is nothing I could say that you couldnt find in all the other reviews here by all the fans of this awesome cartoon, but I still feel compelled to write one anyway because i love it so much. The Tick was a great show that had many, many jokes that would go clear over the kids who watched it's audience. To me its a show that would have had a long successful life had it been aired on something like Adult Swim on cartoon network, where it wouldnt have to be shown to children and they could do away with the little bits that were done just to satisfy the kids. Such a great, absurd, quotable show, that they tried to revive in live action but failed. DVD is needed.
  • When the city cries out for a just crusader who can firmly stomp his boot into the backside of evil, who better to answer the call…than the TICK!

In the history of television viewership, there is always that one program that many will hail as “the greatest TV show of all time”. Likewise, there will always be those cultural embarrassments that many will condemn as the “worst TV show of all time”. Miraculously, the Tick succeeds in being both of these.

At its worst, the show produces some of the most gut-wrenching bottom feeder entertainment of all time. At its best, it is genius level, comic gold. The character of the Tick is a bumbling, incompetent, yet lovable super hero who pledges to save the City from the forces of evil along with his curmudgeon sidekick, Arthur. Accenting the Tick’s fight against the forces of doom are some rather colorful supporting heroes, who guy by such memorable names as American Maid, Deflator Mouse and the Sewer Urchin (who is a stammering parody of Dustin Hoffman’s character from Rain Man). And the Tick’s gallery of villains are no less inane. They range from Chairface Chippendale, who quite literally has a chair for a face to mucous clone versions of the Tick himself.

What makes the show so memorable however are the hilarious monologues that end-cap each episode. The Tick can always be counted on to make a bold, heroic, yet superbly cheesy commentary on modern society and mankind’s duty to defend the world from evil-doers.

In closing, I feel required to shout forth our hero’s infamous battle-cry, “SPOOOOOOON!”
  • The Tick... if I have to say more, you probably aren't worthy of watching it.

Wonderful parody of superhero shows in general while establishing great characters of it's own. Chuckles include the various familiar superheroes who inhabit the city (American Maid = Wonder woman; Inflatamouse = Batman; Big Shot = Punisher; etc.) and the absurd villains they wage war against. First cartoon that could take villains like Chairhead Chippendale and made them sureallistic. Tick is hysterical with his monologues and Arthur is great in his meekness and the fact that he's a bloody accountant. Kids needed a show that took what they knew about and cleverly mocking/glorifying it. Sad that it didn't fly on TV as a live action show, but all fans really needed was the original anyway.
  • A Blue super hero gets chosen to protect The City where he meets up with some unlikely super heroes and meets his faithful sidekick Arthur.

Comedy wasted on kids. I watched this show when I was a kid and I didn't understand any of the jokes untill I watched it more recently. I used to like to watch it for the butt kicking and him screaming, "Spoon!" From the long winded speechs from the Tick or the idiotic things he does this show is a classic and deserves a DVD.

The Tick had decent animation (for the time) and hilarious stories. If it were for adults it probably would have been around a little bit longer. The super heroes are great and the villains are even better. And the classic lines you can remember from the shows like "If you're so evil then eat this kitten!"
< 1 2