The Time Tunnel

End of the World

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 23, 1966 on ABC

6.6
  • Seriously

Doug and tony arrive in a mine that is collapsing and nobody will help save the workers because they believe an approaching comet is about to destroy the Earth.

Makes absolutely no sense at all. IF the citizens are that stupid then they should be allowed to die!
  • Another slice of science fiction stream-of-consciousness that, in this case, is fun to watch.

7.7
    Doug and Tony are thrown to a mining town in 1910, just after a cave-in traps 200 men below ground. No one wants to help because they fear Halley's Comet means the end of the world anyways.

There's just something so joyously insane about "Time Tunnel" episodes that it makes me smile. Sort of a combination of parallel world "Golden Compass" pseudo-reality and the vision of two teenage science nerds who have just smoked their first doobie in the basement.

This installment is no different. Everything but the kitchen sink is thrown in. The turn-of-the-century town, frightened by Halley's Comet has decided to isolate itself from the world like a a bad Stephen King novel, the local astronomer has a remarkable ability to predict the second that the comet's tail will vanish, and an unknown non-reflective gravitational body is working it's magic. Need more? Back at the complex, somehow aspects of the comet threaten to come through the Time Tunnel and Ann (Lee Meriwether) yanks power cords out of the Tunnel master controls and re-starts a man's heart.

Irwin Allen made a lot of throw-away TV, but this is one of his better ideas - the production values are decent (at least when they can use existing sets like those for westerns), no one scene can bother you before you are off to the next, and another crazy plot twist is always just around the corner. Is it good TV? Not really, but it's as good a value as a roller coaster ride. I will note that this is one of the best-written episodes, others are FAR crazier.
  • There's an error in the summary for this episode.

7.4
    The team doesn't try to send Doug a radioscope; they try to send him a radar scanner, a 1968-era radar machine. He doesn't "make" a radioscope; he uses the prototype that Professor Ainsley has in his observatory. I would have added this to the summary, but the site won't let me.
  • The caved-in mine scenes kept me on the edge of my seat.

7.1
    But, again, we have another discrepancy with regard to Tony Newman's background. In the series premier, he claimed to have been born in 1938. Yet, in the Pearl Harbor episode, he meets his past-self...who is age seven! And, in this episode, Gen. Kirk exclaims that--in 1958--Tony was still in high school. At age twenty??? He should have been a college sophomore, at least, by then. Oh, sure! He might have had to stay back, and repeat his senior year, due to bad grades. But, then again; if I were a government recruiter, that fact would certainly have persuaded me _not_ to hire Tony for something as important as Project: Tic-Toc! The only script-alibi that I'd have accepted from the writers of this show, if I'd been Irwin Allen? Tony was a child prodigy, who walked/talked/acted like a seven-year-old by the time he was three. And, seventeen years after that, he was a fully-certified high school _science teacher._ But, hindsight is 20/20. Isn't it?